19 Apr 24, 14:08 pm » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Poll

Should quest areas be opened up to entry for players not currently on said quest? Such as players who have outleveled the quest, already finished the quest, etc.

Yes
8 (34.8%)
No
7 (30.4%)
There should be separate, non-instanced versions of the quest area
6 (26.1%)
Other, please explain
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Should Quest Areas Be Opened  (Read 40003 times)

Xaerien

• Arcanist
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
Should Quest Areas Be Opened
« on: October 27, 2019, 09:53:20 pm »
After some discussion on this topic today in Discord, I have decided to create this poll so such discussion on the subject is not lost.

Zazie Rotten

• Citizen
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: Should Quest Areas Be Opened
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 09:54:50 pm »
There should be separate, non-instanced versions of the quest areas. It allows for roleplay and it can be done easily enough by not spawning chests and treasure troves in those zones. It also allows people to farm areas when there is no one on, because this is not exactly a high-population server. A lot of us just sit around waiting for someone to exist in the same time zone.

izex

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 09:59:36 pm »
There should be separate, non-instanced versions of the quest areas. It allows for roleplay and it can be done easily enough by not spawning chests and treasure troves in those zones. It also allows people to farm areas when there is no one on, because this is not exactly a high-population server. A lot of us just sit around waiting for someone to exist in the same time zone.

I agree and it also allows people to RP in those areas, for example, Zazie is an archeologist and she needs a DM to allow her to go into the Temple of Doom to be able to RP as an archeologist.

Briar_Rose

• Arcanist
  • Moon Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 10:05:37 pm »
Other, Please Explain: If one is concerned about taking lower PCs to an area, then lock areas behind a minimum level, only. Meaning once you reach said level, you can enter freely - with ones that make sense. Like say the graveyards. You need to be level 5 (just giving an example) otherwise it says, "you're in need of more training before safely entering here" and then you can RP off of that.

If you're not worried about that aspect: Open all areas to everyone. People will RP why they're there and what they're doing from then on.

izex

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 10:11:04 pm »
Other, Please Explain: If one is concerned about taking lower PCs to an area, then lock areas behind a minimum level, only. Meaning once you reach said level, you can enter freely - with ones that make sense. Like say the graveyards. You need to be level 5 (just giving an example) otherwise it says, "you're in need of more training before safely entering here" and then you can RP off of that.

If you're not worried about that aspect: Open all areas to everyone. People will RP why they're there and what they're doing from then on.

This would also work :)

samb123

• Arcanist
  • Fiend Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2019, 10:58:29 pm »
I will point out that, if there are separate, non-instanced versions of the quest areas with NO locks or limits, then people will farm these areas and that will completely defeat the purpose of the server's current design.

I like the server's current design. I like that I can only help certain NPCs so many times (before I out-level the quests). I like that I actually need to find other characters in-game to do things sometimes.

I like this.

The XP system already lowers XP for characters whose level is higher than the CR of the monsters in an area. So, it's not like leveling is a huge concern if a level 14 takes a level 5 to the Graveyards.  :)

Edit: However, the problem I see with this also that folks will drag their friends along and folks won't actually be earning that quest XP; they'll just be along for the ride while the higher level kills all the spawns.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 04:16:30 am by samb123 »
Meleghost - Tiefling Arcanist

Discord: SamB#1648

Midnight Oil

• Arcanist
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 07:49:42 am »
I voted no just to stop people farming thousands of gold and unbalancing the server on quests they dont struggle on because of them being higher then the quest lvl. Sorry if this is too harsh but its true

Vydaera

• Noble
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 07:58:14 am »
LET.
PEOPLE.
PLAY.
TOGETHER.

Is the TL;DR of my point. I would like to see maximum levels removed from all quests. It would allow people to help new players without creating a separate character. It would allow people who want to be there for RP reasons, actually join and participate. Quests give you lower and lower XP amounts as you rise in comparative level, anyway, so it's not like people are going to be farming purely for the paltry XP reward.

People come to this server to play with other PEOPLE. Honestly, the quest design is good for most dungeons, but it is not what brings people to the server. People are here to roleplay, and anything that stops people from doing things together is bad for the server. If XP farming is what you're worried about, have people above the level cap gain no XP from completion. So, they can help a new person out, or train a young warrior in the ways of the blade, or characters that aren't min/maxed can contribute to groups without feeling overpowered.

The restrictions might be necessary if this was a very populous game like WoW or FFXIV, but it isn't. We get the kind of people who want to share an experience with others... the power players don't stick around; there are plenty of servers that cater to that kind of play.

I voted no just to stop people farming thousands of gold and unbalancing the server on quests they dont struggle on because of them being higher then the quest lvl. Sorry if this is too harsh but its true

There are FAR easier ways to make gold than killing wasps for 300gp each run. Also, what does having a lot of gold really DO for you on this server? Most gear isn't bought... it's dropped from quests or given as reward for participating in server events.

I think you will find that the kind of person that will go to great lengths for levels or wealth can do it easier on other servers, and will not play here for long.

Midnight Oil

• Arcanist
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 09:36:33 am »
By the way we have exploration areas for a reason im sure the Dm's are working on more as we discuss this. I would rather more exploration areas then every quest open that is just silly.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 09:37:12 am »
There should be separate, non-instanced versions of the quest area

Are these not what we call 'Exploration areas' ? i.e Ant Hill, Lava Cave, Orc Hill and Mines, Crash Site, Old Fort ( some examples of Exploration areas )

The problem with opening quest areas up is the level of the spawns and treasure to some extent. An example is Fruit bats, low level quest and would be pointless for a high level to do it. Another might be Pumpkin Goblins too hard for a low level but just right for a mid range character and of course we have those Higher level quest that in general you have to travel to, that are designed to test and have high level spawns in them ... where a low level or mid level character would be unable to complete the quest by themselves.

These quests are also dependant on the group and mixture of character types. Of course a low level could go on these quests if they where able to do so and soak up the XP making their stories and journey lessened because of it.

I understand the point of RP but believe we have many other options outside of quests to continue your stories and RP.
Build it and they will come.

Briar_Rose

• Arcanist
  • Moon Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 06:56:14 pm »
I am personally curious then - you say there are many opportunists for continuing stories and RP, which is very true. What of the times that no one is on though or no DM is currently free and you'd like to continue your story by fighting undead in a crypt.... oh, but look, I can't because some random NPC says he doesn't need my help. Why would that stop me from destroying undead though? Then again, life is just hard for a PC that doesn't want to wander around and kill things for fun.

I personally always enjoyed being logged on for hours at a time, doing something, but right now I've found I gravitate towards logging on if there's people either Teuivae knows or there's definite RP to be found. Otherwise I'm just sitting in the town square and putting on a movie. Don't get me wrong though, this is just another viewpoint - I'm truly having a blast here and this is BY FAR my favorite server to have RPed on in a very long time. I'm not going anywhere, regardless of the decision. I'd just log on a bit more if there were more places to fight undead and things to do, is all.

Leyoz

• Developer
  • Hero
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 04:21:01 am »
There are multiple exploreable areas focused on undead as well though? Do some of you feel that there is an issue with the current exploreable areas in terms of variety, risk or reward (whether that is xp, gold, consumeable or loot)?

ToxicWrench

• Demi-God
  • Twisting nuts since '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 06:22:29 am »
Edit: However, the problem I see with this also that folks will drag their friends along and folks won't actually be earning that quest XP; they'll just be along for the ride while the higher level kills all the spawns.

Exactly this, it's fine saying that you personally won't do this but the majority of players most likely will. And nothing stops a high level player from just giving people a free ride through all the low quests risk free. That's the key part here, quests of all levels need to have risk of some sort. Opening them to all levels completely removes that.

There are multiple exploreable areas focused on undead as well though? Do some of you feel that there is an issue with the current exploreable areas in terms of variety, risk or reward (whether that is xp, gold, consumeable or loot)?

To me, this is the real question that we should be asking. Quests are there for people to group up for but ideally there should be plenty to do for every level. Hence the exploration/open areas. Do we need more of them, greater rewards or larger areas? Because that's what it sounds like  8)

Briar_Rose

• Arcanist
  • Moon Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 07:05:42 am »
Actually retyping something....

Essentially my personal issue and it may only be because I'm playing an exalted character that doesn't go off to kill goblins just because they have a tribe in the woods. She normally has no reason to explore and no map or known knowledge of the world around her, there's no motivation to go out and explore. The only source she has is fellow Order members (which is two right now) to even bother trying to find places to explore and train.

I don't see the big issue honestly. A higher level PC can always run a lower PC through an exploration area and get tons of XP anyways - it happened once with the Asylum where all Teuivae did was stand around and get way more XP than any quest I've done. So opening a quest area wouldn't matter for the lower PC. If you're concerned about higher PCs getting XP from quests, just make a cut off for XP then?

Exmaple:
Kalianda - Hadrian Southbank -Warehouse - lvl 4-10 - Party Req 2-6

Let's say we turned it into: Kalianda - Hadrian Southbank -Warehouse - lvl 4+ - Party Req 2-6

Well, let's say a level 15 PC takes a level 5 PC. Well, the reward for the level 5 PC won't be much higher than if a level 10 PC went along. They'd still get the same XP and same XP reward out of it (say 200 GP / 200 XP). And you could have the script just say if they're higher than level 10, they only get GP rewards.

Furthermore, you could just open up the area without the quest being enabled at all. What would that do to balance? The enemies would stay the same, even the boss potentially. Then what? ... how in the world does it unbalance anything?

And nothing stops a high level player from just giving people a free ride through all the low quests risk free. That's the key part here, quests of all levels need to have risk of some sort. Opening them to all levels completely removes that.

Isn't this already true for exploration areas? Neasa took Teuivae to the Crypt of Molander (or something) and if she wanted, could've killed everything completely risk free for Teuivae. So it's already something that's possible anyways. And Neasa could do a lot better and get Teuivae way more XP (if we were that type of player).

Anyways, I'm just not following the logic.

Kalcibone

• Citizen
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 07:10:02 pm »
I agree with Briar rose. In the time I've been in the server this is how i get levels the most from best rate(most levels in least time);
1-- Random exploration with high level people.; They simply have higher exp reward and gold reward for following someone around who can pick up a massive amount of junk to sell for 200g each.
2-- DM events; you get decent exp as normally DM events are medium to high level mobs plus the ending exp gift for doing it. DM's are also very kind and tend to give some of the most coolest and interesting randomized items you cant find elsewhere.
3-- quests; you can find plenty of cool things but normally it requires a demanded 'under this level' for you to get it. For instance the giant wasp quest; it has MANY useful things in it that anyone could use, but with RP, DM quests, and typical gameplay you end up PASSING it before you can actually get the items you need in it. You really only get the exp of something in your range inside of it which is around 16-40 exp depending on the monsters level. its basictly a weaker DM event with a time frame on it. I've heard a few rumours that sometimes someone will willingly die when questing just so they can get EXP loss so they can keep trying to get items in the quest.