18 Apr 24, 01:32 am » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: An in game bank.  (Read 15931 times)

caek

• Hero
  • DM
    • View Profile
An in game bank.
« on: April 13, 2018, 11:17:44 am »
I've heard this mentioned by people in Discord, how would people want / expect it to work?

What features would you want to see from something like that?

Danuvis

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: An in game bank.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:58:10 am »
The ability to withdraw/deposit is probably a given, but besides that, I'd say have them take a small cut from each deposit.

PlayMyLoot

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 12:13:30 pm »
10-15 percent cut on all deposits. Create a culture where carrying around bulk coin without a bodyguard will actually see to targetted as an 'easy mark'.

Danuvis

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 12:59:35 pm »
Maybe have cut penalties and other features that might come with it scale with CHA? The higher your CHA, the smaller the amount of coin taken, etc.

PlayMyLoot

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 02:08:35 pm »
That's a bloody good idea. Make it calculate off Base Stat as well, not the full buff stat. Or everyone will just use Eagles Splendour. :/

Voss

• Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 02:17:09 pm »
I'd let you deposite a limited amount of gold, and you'd have to carry the rest.

Don't want to deprive the good ol' highwaymen of all their prey.

PlayMyLoot

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 03:09:07 pm »
Perhaps make the bank based in Valstiir as well? Wouldn't make sense for Hadrian, imo.

Rose

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 03:15:48 pm »
A deposit fee would be needed absolutely, but if we're going to get into variable deposits I'd suggest instead of charisma make it appraise. Tellers have their rules still and can't just say "Oh you're pretty" or "Oh you have a strong personality" and just skip out on the fee. How will they explain to their boss why the vault has X amount of gold but only Y amount of commission was taken? Appraise is the 'trading' skill though, so if this deposit fee was to be impacted by anything I think set values of appraise should be it, as recognition for local merchants holding some kind of business accounts. People with high trade skill would be doing higher volume deposits and they'd be making their money by that volume rather than rate, with the lower rate as incentive to use them instead of other means.

That's just my opinion if variable deposit fee is used at all. Easier to just say 5% or 10% for everyone across the board. Also deposits at set intervals. 5k, 10k, and 15k deposits. Maybe higher rate for smaller deposits and lower rate for big drops. This ensures that players always have SOMETHING on them and don't just use the bank as a second inventory, and that there is both reward and risk involved in saving up higher ammounts of gold to deposit in bulk transactions. Withdrawal can be any spoken value though.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 03:18:07 pm by Rose »
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

caek

• Hero
  • DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 03:31:43 pm »
I love the idea of charisma / appraise / bluff playing a part in the system, top notch idea that.

PlayMyLoot

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 03:37:35 pm »
The reason I'd argue CHA and that you could bet your bottom dollar that not every 'clerk' is an optimized counting machine. Just like the real world, star power or smooth talking/being a beast of a negotiator can really help you out. I know of people IRL that have recieved better rates than usual for loans, just because of exactly that.

Walrus Warwagon

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 12:58:12 am »
I believe that in addition to the commission, interest should also be added, because the bank uses your funds. And if not, it's not a bank, but a luggage room. Or maybe it's possible to tie a deposit to some assets that change in price?
Spoiler
Used handmade bomb to scatter drow priestess all over the place.
Insulted evil god in the face.
Drank the whole bottle of endless wine. Twice.
Killed big bad boss with a cantrip.

ToxicWrench

• Demi-God
  • Twisting nuts since '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 07:41:29 am »
Appraise does represent bartering for better prices. Whether using smooth talking, negotiation, technical know how.. All of the above. Using CHA checks makes less sense in my eyes. Charisma is too broad, Appraise is specifically designed for that exact purpose.

WolfMaster

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2018, 02:05:12 pm »
10-15 cut on deposits? what kind of shady bank is this? there wasn't even such a thing back in old Venice. Heck the banks of Venice actually COMPETED with each other to get your money into there bank, because they make money using that money to make loan's.

I get were your coming from on a mechanic's lvl. but from a RP lvl it makes absolutely no sense.

Youfired

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 06:53:51 pm »
I don't think there's enough reasons to open up a bank account.

Only reason I would is if I dropped my pack and coins after death.

the chances of a PC stealing my gold at this point is too low to justify spending 500 coins to open up an account.

but yeah I'm down for making the server more dangerous and dropping backpack after death hah

ForWhomTheTurboTrolls

• Citizen
  • Expert Russian Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 02:36:12 am »
i dunno.. add a weight component to coins.

Personally i think its ridiculous that I can carry around 20,000 coins and not have them weigh me down or even jigle when Im trying to sneak.

add weight, makes people want to use the bank more often. then the price can be way lower.

Add a time limit to the account. After x amount of real time months if the account has not transactions the funds get swallowed by the house.
This can become a fail safe when you are about to Permadeath someone and they say..but wait! im loaded my bank account is full! i can get you some coin!.
~For a hill men would kill, why? They do not know
Stiffened wounds test there their pride
Men of five, still alive through the raging glow
Gone insane from the pain that they surely know~