16 Apr 24, 07:15 am » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Step into the Future - Questions and Suggestions  (Read 39358 times)

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
Step into the Future - Questions and Suggestions
« on: April 25, 2020, 11:44:23 pm »
Though things are currently a little quiet on NAoM in terms of major plots, we are pleased to see some player-driven things happening and the DM Team is always happy to support players in these endeavours. In the meantime, the team is working on some things behind the scenes. So exciting times with the team deciding that we are going to be doing a Version Two. These include major changes to maps, NPCs, merchants, crafting, new systems, and the setting itself. These are all works in progress and we do not want to roll things out until they are working properly. Furthermore, we are always taking note of suggestions made on Discord and encourage players to offer their ideas of what they want to see on our server. So keep a watch out for teasers along the way.

Netheril DM Team

Thought I start this for the community ... but all we ask is it is kept positive ... and then we can try to answer your question and take on board your thoughts. Of course we might need to keep some secrets
Build it and they will come.

Vydaera

• Noble
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: Step into the Future - Questions and Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 04:31:13 am »
First question: Crafting. Are you guys scrapping UO Abigail's system in favor of another one, or trying to fix/rebalance the existing one?

ElvenStarr

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
  • DreamKiller: Killer of dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 04:39:57 am »
We are looking to implement a new system if we can find one that is more streamlined and intutive for players.

Vydaera

• Noble
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 05:05:01 am »
Cool beans! What are the top 3 things you want your crafting system to accomplish?

ElvenStarr

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
  • DreamKiller: Killer of dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 02:08:32 am »
I think what we want is for the crafting system to be easy to use but not too simple as we still want it to be rewarding for players. Don't think everybody should be a master crafter in each craft. So becoming a master crafter should be an accomplishment and someone that other players would want to seek out.

The current system is very intensive and intertwined with many components that need to be fixed so we need to find something that will still give players a sense of accomplishment but at the same time having it fun and enjoyable.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 10:23:39 am »
Nothing else? we are starting to lock things down re Lore and systems.

I like to give you more but it will be all a surprise.

Some of you would have seen the new Invasion system working in game at the moment.

What would you like to see?

frohawk

• Arcanist
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 08:14:55 pm »
I know the idea of an endless dungeon has been passed around a lot. I still really like the idea and I am wondering if the invasion system is supposed to be NAoM's twist on it.

No one of consequence

• Citizen
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 09:19:12 pm »
Some things I would like to see and some things I would not.
1) Few or no instanced dungeons. While this is a decent work-around on an overpopulated server where players are forced to compete for resources, it denies characters the chance to encounter each other while adventuring and make alliances/enemies. It also breaks immersion to not be able to enter an area for some vague reason.
2) Crafting. The payoff must be worth the time investment. It doesn't matter much if crafting produces end-game quality gear or just stuff to get a starting adventurer equipped, as long as it is worth the time it takes to get the materials and craft them into goods.
3) Applications. I don't like them. Not for classes, not for races. If the team doesn't like what a player is doing with a character, handle it after they have done it. Ban them. Give them stat decreases until they stop or quit. Whatever. Applications only create a sense of cronyism.
4) Clear guidelines on expectations of character behavior. By this I mean easily accessible information on the setting and how a character should behave within it. How character mechanical death should be handled. Social standing and it's benefits/responsibilities, etc.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 07:48:25 am »
I know the idea of an endless dungeon has been passed around a lot. I still really like the idea and I am wondering if the invasion system is supposed to be NAoM's twist on it.

I have been working on 'The Hollows', which is a dungeon that doesn't require a quest and gets hard as you go down in levels. I have done two thus far and about 80% for the third one. It has skill checks, loot and different monster as you go along. We had some issues with the skill checks but I think that was fixed.

Re Invasion system, I have done a quest called 'Pied Piper' to test the system in a quest setup. Still currently in development but is in game being tested.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 09:34:01 am »
Some things I would like to see and some things I would not.
1) Few or no instanced dungeons. While this is a decent work-around on an overpopulated server where players are forced to compete for resources, it denies characters the chance to encounter each other while adventuring and make alliances/enemies. It also breaks immersion to not be able to enter an area for some vague reason.

I don't see a change in the quest system, we have been and will moving forward have more exploration area. The quests are there to grow characters and set challenges that the character could complete and in some cases showcase or provide information on the server by moving the character area the different areas. I hope on am read your feedback right.

2) Crafting. The payoff must be worth the time investment. It doesn't matter much if crafting produces end-game quality gear or just stuff to get a starting adventurer equipped, as long as it is worth the time it takes to get the materials and craft them into goods.

3) Applications. I don't like them. Not for classes, not for races. If the team doesn't like what a player is doing with a character, handle it after they have done it. Ban them. Give them stat decreases until they stop or quit. Whatever. Applications only create a sense of cronyism.

There is a change in the Crafting system we will be using, though the current system is great it was unfinished and complicated with some crafting areas having little or no benefits to the character.

4) Clear guidelines on expectations of character behavior. By this I mean easily accessible information on the setting and how a character should behave within it. How character mechanical death should be handled. Social standing and it's benefits/responsibilities, etc.

I believe we have this in place via the forums but if it needs to be more clear/updated and in one place we can do such.

Hope that helps

ToxicWrench

• Demi-God
  • Twisting nuts since '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 08:42:42 am »
If the team doesn't like what a player is doing with a character, handle it after they have done it. Ban them

The issue with this is, we're not always around to watch players and without apps we have no idea who's playing what.

It also puts us in a very difficult situation in game where instead of running cool events and plots with our game time, we're stuck explaining to players why they can't/shouldn't be playing said race/class etc the way they are.

As for banning that is a complete last resort for players that actively harm the community, not just people that don't understand the rules.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 07:20:36 am »
Just an Update ...

We have been hard at work on the new version ...

*  A new town added, as the starting point
*  Good amount of work made on the surrounding areas of the new town
*  Hadrian remains, changed and updated
*  Some areas east of Hadrian and the Eastern Forest will not be in the new version
*  Sullivan has been updated
*  Something interesting has happen to the the plains near the Patrician Peaks
*  Loot has been worked on with a new Treasure system, but is on going
*  New systems to be added ( some you might have seen testing in game )

Things still on the boards ...

* Crafting
* Monster balancing
* New start up quests
* Some interior and exterior areas around the new town

I am sure I have missed stuff but this is a general overview
Thanks for your patience

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 09:39:44 am »
Forgot that we will have an overlay on the old City Exterior tileset that I understand will make it look rustic ... refreshing the tileset with new cobble stones as well. This will be used in the new town, giving a point of difference to Hadrain's look.

Gmork will have more details

Vydaera

• Noble
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 05:33:08 pm »
What about the quests involving bees, wasps, beetles, goblins, myconids, spiders, undead, all of which can poison or disease you?
It's a very harsh design to have all of those things in the beginner quests, on all the random nook enemies in those quests
Coupled with the fact that enemies in general have very high AC values (even mook swarms) and that the poisons are mostly Str-draining types, it means fights take waaaaay longer

Maybe if quests had a bit more variety of enemies, it could lead to a richer experience
For example, take the poison of all the basic wasps in the infested house quest, but turn a couple of the enemy formations into slightly larger, palette-swapped versions that have more HP and chance to poison on hit
The queen already has a dangerous ranged attack that can stun- a great addition, by the way- and players quickly learn that she only uses it at range, making her a threat that needs to be dealt with.

But at higher levels, she could have a couple of those beefier wasps with her to complicate things a bit- or even another new enemy type, the Royal Guard.
They could have increased AC and Damage, but move a bit slower so that some clever playing ranged or caster characters could learn to evade them until the other wasps were dealt with.

Now doesn't that sound like fun to play?

This is just an off-the-cuff example of the kind of design elements that I excel in... if that's something you want.