18 Apr 24, 14:57 pm » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Poll

Death System Changes

Have the death system remain as is.
8 (32%)
Have the death system take gold when you die, we would offset this by raising the buy price on merchants and making more things sell-able this would mean no XP loss.
6 (24%)
Have the death system reduce your ability to quest for some time which would mean a stat reduction/ attack bonuses reduction for a set amount of time, this would mean no XP loss.  Or if you have an idea post it below.
6 (24%)
Other, please explain below.
5 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Death System Changes -- Please read and respond.  (Read 31639 times)

Tinker

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
Death System Changes -- Please read and respond.
« on: September 19, 2019, 12:35:33 am »
We would like some input from our players, so you guys. We know that you have been unhappy for a while with the death system and given it is you guys who play here to have some fun we are looking for ways to change it up. So these are a few options we have considered, place a vote and if you have suggestions not listed explain in the thread.

Gorga

• Hero
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery
Re: Death System Changes -- Please read and respond.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 12:42:47 am »
I voted the third option, but do we know exactly how much the penalty would be, and how long?

Drufice

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 12:43:30 am »
Remain as is.

(Shit, I accidentally hit the submit vote button, before clicking the actual option. Anyway I can have mine reset?)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 12:55:25 am by Drufice »
=Cheers and Beers Kids=

Vydaera

• Noble
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 12:44:06 am »
While I voted for the gold option, it is on par with the stat penalties option in my eyes. The only reason it edged out ahead is that it would also raise the economy a bit. Gold is pretty hard to get from what I've seen so far, but I hear it gets better at later levels when you're not relying on selling items to vendors.

Although if gold option is chosen we need a way to keep it safe, like a bank or something.

Kalcibone

• Citizen
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 12:46:30 am »
I personally like both the options( the gold/better merchant and the quest reduction)  but the issue i see for both are pretty obvious.  The quest reduction makes total sense but also means people will be worried and paranoid about quests. I  offer this instead;

Have the death system take gold when you die AND lower stats for a set amount of time. offset with the higher merchant selling but also give cleric PC's the ability to remove the stat lowering via greater restoration or a special widget clerics/druids get+ resting at an Inn. Either of those options would give more to the server, still punish death, but also dont hamper players to the point of paranoia. Doing it this way will also make it fair for all classes as some classes just cant get XP as well as others, such as going out by themselves at low levels.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 12:50:33 am by Kalcibone »

Tinker

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 01:05:33 am »
I personally like both the options( the gold/better merchant and the quest reduction)  but the issue i see for both are pretty obvious.  The quest reduction makes total sense but also means people will be worried and paranoid about quests. I  offer this instead;

Have the death system take gold when you die AND lower stats for a set amount of time. offset with the higher merchant selling but also give cleric PC's the ability to remove the stat lowering via greater restoration or a special widget clerics/druids get+ resting at an Inn. Either of those options would give more to the server, still punish death, but also dont hamper players to the point of paranoia. Doing it this way will also make it fair for all classes as some classes just cant get XP as well as others, such as going out by themselves at low levels.

I do like this idea.

Stagavus

• Citizen
  • Friendly Neighborhood Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 03:19:17 am »
I actually think a balance of A and B would seem a decent way to do it.

FireballWilson

• Noble
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 05:55:57 am »
I too enjoy the mixed effort between B and C

Midnight Oil

• Arcanist
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 06:51:01 am »
I feel like death should mean something and every encounter should have an element of risk to it. The death system on netheril is actually very lenient compared to most servers i have played on in my time and reducing xp loss to 0 would make it feel like an arcade game which would make me lose interest fast.

CursedNecrosis

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 07:04:54 am »

I second this idea, voted 'other'

samb123

• Arcanist
  • Fiend Magus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 03:20:53 pm »
I actually would like to suggest another "Other" option. Have the death system take gold (50gp per level) and XP, but - and this is the important bit - do NOT let the death system reduce your XP below the minimum XP for your level. E.g.: If I'm level 7 and I die, I can't be reduced below 21,000XP (the minimum amount of XP required for level 7).
Meleghost - Tiefling Arcanist

Discord: SamB#1648

Zazie Rotten

• Citizen
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 02:31:42 pm »
I would agree with SamB's idea, if this vote is still going on. The death system is not terrible, but losing a level can be, especially when it happens because of a spontaneous difficulty spike in the questing area and subsequently takes away your ability to do that quest because you are now too low to get in. It is even worse for spellcasters, especially wizards, because a lost level means that any spells that they have scribed during that level are now lost since they are "reset" to the previous level.

izex

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2019, 04:25:27 am »
Having played on several servers Netheril has a higher than normal punish system. I think if we could repeat any quest at any level it wouldn't matter as much. I just am unable to quest solo at level 11+ and if I die (easy to do even with 200hp) I lose 2-4 days worth of xp from questing depending on my level. I do think a hit to gold and stat loss (temp) similar to arelith would be good.

orange.juice

• Citizen
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2019, 03:39:40 pm »
I kind of like the idea of death giving you stat reduction and gold loss, but maybe not as severe and just doing one or the other. So basically the two alternate death options in the poll combined. That way you don't need to tweak the economy as much (smaller changes are easier to respond to and adjust) and the temporary stat reduction won't impact your questing quite as much as it probably would otherwise.