19 Apr 24, 09:49 am » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Mayor's Diary: Morgaine the Red  (Read 12891 times)

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
  • Repairer of Reputations
    • View Profile
The Mayor's Diary: Morgaine the Red
« on: May 26, 2019, 09:37:09 am »
Dear Diary

It hardly seems possible, but today I was sworn in as the new Mayor of Hadrian.  After the resignation of Mayor Sandori and the frightfully obvious mediocrity of Mayor Narthwell, I realised I had no choice but to lobby to become mayor myself.  I should have run for mayor in the last election, but allowed people like Maximus, Corven and Sazo talk me out of it.  Therefore young Qivera's failure to handle the role is also my own.  But now I have the chance to put things right.  I have great challenges, such as restoring trust in city hall and dealing with the noxious mist from the fallen enclave.

After the formalities, I was informed that a previous mayor (most likely Damion Stillscar) embezzled a fortune from the city treasury and had stashed some around the city.  With some friends and allies we found many pages from the secret ledger which detailed this along with some of the stolen money.  This certainly livened up a day I expected be full of dry paperwork and oaths.  Fjord, Zilta, Three, Michael Copperfield, Urias, Casper... we had quite a team.

I must give thanks to the people who have believed in me, even in the times I did not believe in myself.  I would not have ever reached such a high post without them.  My adoptive mother, Lady Fiona Voust, who saw my potential.  My first love, Lazarus Black.  My best friend, the elf paladin Allania, whom I served after Fiona's death.  Bosco Fries, the angry little man with a good heart.  Urias and his oddball sense of humour that makes me smile even in the worst times.  Fjord Bjornson, who has become both a friend and guardian.  Lady Saeb Alanchi, who gave and taught me so much and asked so little.  Lilana Fynolt, my spirit sister who guided me to the path of Selune.  Trade Minister Helena Mendel, who has been a friend and support to me on council.  Surely others who I am forgetting as I scribble these words.  These are the people who inspired me, and the ones I will think of when I have to make tough decisions.

And without a doubt.. I am going to have to make some tough decisions. 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:39:53 am by Fiverine »
"I just can't take no pleasure in killing. There's just some things you gotta do. Don't mean you have to like it."

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
Re: The Mayor's Diary: Morgaine the Red
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 05:07:59 am »
Dear Diary

I need some guards, or a personal bodyguard at the very least.  I am going to be making announcements that will anger some powerful people, and right now I can only count on myself and Fjord and Ash if they are around.  If Allania, Corgrim, Lilana, Iachanar, Saeb, or Stronkonov were still here any of them would have been ideal.   But they're not, so I will have to do my best without them.  I'm an experienced adventurer, but I've never been much of a warrior.  I need someone who is.

I don't know whether Fjord or Ash would be interested in doing it permanently, but it would be worth asking.  Michael Copperfield is a strong fighter who respects the law, and seems interested in steady work but I don't know how well we would work together.  He seems a little, well, cruel.  Caitlin Stormweaver?  She was a mayoral candidate and might begrudge my new position.  No harm in asking, I suppose.  I don't want to call my people 'guards', or 'blades'... I want them to sound distinct.  Perhaps as often happened at the Society, someone will just walk in at the very moment I need them most. 

The people who have been trying to stop us claiming the secret ledger pages appear to be cultists of Roz'dha.  Even in defeat the liche haunts us with the contaminations of the fallen enclave and his deluded followers.  It's time to root out the last of his disciples.  There's a certain disgraced Count whose time of reckoning is long overdue...
"I just can't take no pleasure in killing. There's just some things you gotta do. Don't mean you have to like it."

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 09:29:10 am »
Dear Diary

Tomorrow I'm leaving for a short pilgrimage to the Abbey of the Moon.  I must give thanks to Selune for her great generosity, which as ever astounds me, and pray to her for guidance in my new job. 

I had thought of visiting Saeb in Orbedal again, but it's far too long a trip for a short stay.  Besides, last time I visited she'd been locking herself in a tower doing magical experiments and came out in bedraggled clothes and her hair unwashed and unbrushed.  Very unlike Saeb.  Clearly this arcanist dream of hers if more important than anything else at the moment.  Best to leave her to it for a while, I think.

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 02:17:15 am »
Dear Diary

I returned to Hadrian today, and feel much better after my short spiritual retreat.  There were some strange things going on at nearby Moonglow Keep, however.  The Selunite knights moved out of the keep into a nearby church.  While I do not understand the reasons for this, I do appreciate having another holy place to visit. 

There have been a few new adventurers arriving in Hadrian, which is wonderful to see.  Hopefully if a few of them stay around a while they could find a home at the Adventurer's Society.  I made a proposal to council that we create a designated building for the night workers to call their own, which was one of Qivera's policies.  To my surprise, House Skettus have showed interest in this project.  I welcome that because it saves me having to own a bordello myself!

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 09:33:12 am »
Dear Diary

This red mist continues to confound our efforts to resolve it.  A lot of suggestions are being floated around.  At this point I'm willing to consider even the strange ones.  If we can assemble a strong enough group, we could assault the duergar encampment once again, either by breaching their gates or finding another entrance.  Just in case we have to do it the hard way I'm buying some powerful scrolls and wands.  The druids will help us consecrate the site.  Cleansing the entire fallen enclave and the tunnels beneath is going to be a massive undertaking though.

I'm been pondering who to hire for my guards.  There are a few candidates around.
Lycaria She is an elven paladin of Selune who passes through town on occasion.  If she was willing to settle in Hadrian permanently, she would be perfect.  We share the same faith and similar ideals... and red hair!  Lycaria reminds me so much of Allania… kind, wise, and powerful yet humble.  If only this town didn't have such a dreadful reputation for mistreating elves.

Michael Copperfield Michael is a powerful warrior, and even though he can be quite merciless he respects the law.  Unfortunately, he's a little...well... crazy.  He hallucinates awful things.  I don't think I can trust someone like that to be protecting and representing me.  Pip of Hilltop has come up with a plan to cure Michael.  I hope it works... if so Michael would be a good candidate. 

Sherina She is an enchantress who seems very caring and intelligent.  She spoke to me today about dealing with the problems the mist is causing to food supplies, and she had clearly thought the matter through in depth.  The only drawback I can see is that she is much like me, and dislikes violence.  Perhaps she would make a better adviser than guard. 

Caitlin Stormweaver Caitlin seems interested in my proposal to her.  I must get her to my office to have an official chat.  Although she has links to the 14th Legion, they did wrongly imprison her for a time, so perhaps she's not as devoted to them as she once was. 

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 10:09:37 pm »
Dear Diary

Scratch Michael Copperfield off my list.  He's not just a little crazy anymore, he's completely insane.  Fjord, Sherina and I had to subdue him, and even then a cloud of mist appeared to snatch him away.  I've issued a public notice warning people to avoid Michael and summon a marshal if they see him.  It seems the influence of an artifact has caused Michael's mental state to deteriorate so badly. 

House Skettus will store the artifact in their vault if we can find it.  I felt a distinct impression Lord Skettus was more interested in studying it than storing it.  But that still feels a better option to me than the 14th Legion putting it in their evidence locker.  Ever since Maximus lobbied for legionnaires to be able to carry malign artifacts at will I've been extremely suspicious of that place.  Add that to the appalling first impression they made on me the day they arrived, when I saw them burn Juletta at the stake. 

Poor Sheri, she is close to Michael and was very upset about what happened.  She felt like she didn't do enough, but I thought she was brave and smart.  Far more than I was when I first came to Hadrian: I shudder to think how I would have dealt with a situation like that back then.  I couldn't stop Fiona or Lazarus dying right in front of me.

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 07:39:36 am »
Dear Diary

Michael Copperfield is still at large.  Wherever he is has a proclaimer, because he has been sending deranged messages for all to hear.  What a disaster it would have been if I had hired him!  In the end, Caitlin Stormweaver has accepted my offer and has become my first "Commissar".  She'll run my barracks, keep an ear out for rumours and advise me on military matters.  And probably teach me some bad drinking habits too.  There is no disputing she looks superb in the uniform though. 

I've been arranging rewards for all the people who on my first day as mayor helped me reclaim Hadrian's stolen money.  Most of the rewards have been quite straightforward.  Being adventurers and mercenaries, these people have mostly wanted improved weapons and other essential equipment.  But Urias... he's asked me for something I think is beyond my capability to provide.  I can't think of any legal way of obtaining it and I could not besmirch the city's (and my!) reputation by using shady methods.  He's a good friend, so I'm sad that I doubt I can give him the thing he really wants in this case.

Shirena took me on a tour of the Eastern Farms to see the areas the mist has been encroaching on.  Some of the livestock are perilously close to areas of mist.  To my horror, the mist is all other the little graveyard there too, which poses a grave danger to the farmers.  I must regularly check to make sure no undead have risen.  Shirena seems to have a gift for working and talking with the farmers, so I suggested that she could be a representative for them.  She didn't feel quite up to that job, and said I should I meet with Farmer Brown instead.  There's a certain sadness and lack of confidence about Sheri.  I suspect that Michael's illness has devastated her as well, so I've done my best to cheer her up.  She had an absolutely stunning dress made for me... she's quite talented in many ways.  It's a tragedy that the most talented and caring of people so often have the least confidence in themselves.  Sheri, Fjord, Allania...

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 04:41:57 am »
Dear Diary

Michael Copperfield has made many nonsensical proclamations the past few days.  But yesterday, he made one saying that 'Leira' was sending a 'gift' to Hadrian.  This turned out to be something I have feared- the dead rising from the grave yard in the East Farms.  I rushed there to help, and found Sherina there.  Together we destroyed the walking dead.  One of them spoke before we smote it... it said "the mist is coming".  We found new patches of this infernal mist upon the wells and sections of the river.  A farmer told us their animals have become sick from this water. 

I have not issued a bounty upon Michael for Sheri's sake, but should his actions cause injury or death to a citizen then I will not be able to avoid it.  There is a chance I may have to pursue him myself, perhaps helping Skettus or the Halfling Death crew.  I can offer Michael the opportunity of Selune's redemption and forgiveness... but if he refuses, then I will do as I must.  Today I had a good talk with Councillor Morriman about Michael.  We are blessed to have him upon our council.

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 08:28:02 am »
Dear Diary

I placed a large bounty upon Count Lash Voust, and the Halfling Death group attempted to make good on it today.  I went with them, feeling I should be there to confront the Count one last time.  We didn't find him, but as usual the Voust Manor "treated" us to a host of horrible shadows and vampiric spawn.  Following a clue we found in one of the Count's secret rooms, we went to the Angel Wings Asylum.

It is a truly ghastly place.  Full of vicious guards, apparatus for torture and execution and even undead!  And this place is supposedly run by the 14th Legion.  My trust in them just continues to deteriorate.  The groundskeeper told us the Legion just shove people through the front door and leave!

This is where Michael Copperfield would be admitted if the Legion capture him.  Sherina was furious with me.  I told her I had no idea what the place was like, but I don't think she believed me.  Even before I saw the place I didn't bloody well want Michael there!  I want Skettus to take care of him in their estate.  Head Seeker Morriman agrees with me on this. 

I'm not giving up, and Halfling Death won't either.  We'll get the Count.  Our next option is to check the crypts of the Wombrie Woods.  I also know something I could do at the Voust estate that would likely infuriate the Count enough for him to confront me.  That would be dangerous.  Essentially, I would be acting as bait, and hoping my companions are strong enough to save me.  I certainly can't handle the Count myself, not even now. 

I've been waiting for some good rain to make an announcement.  Though there was rain at the asylum, the skies over Hadrian remain frustratingly clear. 

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 01:07:25 pm »
Dear Diary

Skettus are idiots.  I took a grave risk and answered a summons from Sherina at Sullivans.  Together we convinced Michael to hand over the evil artefacts to me, so I could take them to the Skettus vault.  The famed, safe, impregnable Skettus vault!  The skull filled my mind with evil whispers but my faith in Lady Silver got me through the journey back to Hadrian.  Then I rushed to the Skettus estate. 

I thought I'd succeeded.  But the guard who Lord Skettus ordered to take the items to the vault succumbed to the control of the skull. The guard fled to the sewers.  Though I pursued and slew a creature the mist summoned to stop me, I could not stop it enveloping the guard and snatching him away, along with the damned artefacts!

People are surprised sometimes when they learn that the Reschotti are the noble house I am closest to.  "But Morgaine, you hate slavery!" they say.  Yes, I do hate it.  But House Reschotti are just about making money, and they do it well.  I've never seen them fail to make coin, and they are good for the money when they owe it too. 

The 14th Legion and House Skettus have their specialties too.  I have seen the Legion fail at theirs repeatedly, but this is the first time I've seen Skettus make such a hash of something.  May I never see it happen again, for the stakes are simply far too high.

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 04:22:25 am »
Dear Diary

I ended the public warning about Michael, and he and Sherina have returned to her home in the East Farms.   I visited them to see how Michael is going.  He certainly seems better, but I suspect some lasting damage has been caused to his mind.  Sherina and he seem very close now.  As I hoped, Michael has been farming and doing work for the locals. 

I still had some private misgivings about him, but he proved his worth when several packs of wolves charged into the farmlands and started killing livestock.  He fiercely defended the farms and people and the three of us slew many wolves.  Actions like this will serve him well should he run into legal trouble due to his previous behaviour.

We are closing in on Count Voust.  I've been spending far too much time thinking about what I will say to him if we defeat him... but probably more time thinking about what I will do if we don't.  He'd likely turn me into one of his thralls, like Thersos claimed Fiona was planning to have done to me.  What do I want more?  Count Voust destroyed, or answers to all these questions and doubts I have?

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 11:08:03 pm »
Dear Diary

Michael and Sherina took me up to the Old Quarter Valstiir.  Michael had found the mist had reached even there and wanted to show me.  I was shocked by how much we found, in a place that I assumed would  be safe from it.  This situation is spiralling out of all control, and I'm not seeing any simple solutions.  I asked Overseer Morriman to have Zilta examine some trees Michael showed me, which unlike most seem to be living and growing in the mist rather than withering and dying like most. 

I found a vampire crypt in the Wonbrie Woods, complete with a bone throne of the type that Count Voust had.  I did not find any vampires, but destroyed many undead servitors.  The crypt may or may not be the Count's.  Even if it is his, it may just be one of several lairs he uses.  After that loose end, I checked on the Voust manor as I do regularly again.  I found several lesser vampires inside, along with a stronger one.  It was one of Count Voust's thrall vampires, or 'brides'.  She was strong, but I had enchanted myself and struck her down. 

Just seeing her was more unsettling than fighting her.  Hers is the likely fate that awaits me should the Count defeat me.  This was confirmed when I heard the mocking voice of the Count laughing that I should choose my next step carefully lest I find myself in servitude to him for eternity...

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 11:13:24 pm »
Dear Diary

Sherina has talked recently about an ancient bronze dragon that lives in the area around the Abbey of the Moon, and hoped it could help us resolve the mist crisis.  She even had a special gift made for it.  I passed Sherina when I was leaving for my regular pilgrimage to the Abbey, so asked her to come along to look for this dragon.

Well, we found her... and it turns out I had met her before disguised in her human form.  While speaking with this spectacular beast did not give us any easy solutions to our problems it at least gave us some next steps to consider.  The dragon is certain the duergar have another entrance to their fortress beneath the necropolis, we just need to thoroughly search the Upperdark and Underdark for it. 

If that fails, I have an option of last resort to find it.  There are some people who may know where this entrance is or be willing to help us breach us the main entrance.  But they are utterly, unredeemably vile people, and their help would surely not be free. 

Someone sent flowers to my office.  Red and blue flowers.  Fjord perhaps?  If I ask him he'll surely tell me one way or another.  He kept his "secret admirer" letter to me secret for about five minutes, after all.  What a paradox he is.  Such a gentleman at times, yet like a child at others. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 05:05:45 am by Fiverine »

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 08:03:37 am »
Dear Diary

We have not made any progress regarding that duergar fortress, so I attempted to take matters into my own hands.  Zoanantuss is certain there is a secret entrance to the fortress in the underdark.  I descended alone to search for the secret entrance.  I fear and hate the grey dwarves more than anything else down there so I did not take this journey lightly or go unprepared.  Alas, I did not find what I seek on this attempt. 

What I did find was a large drow settlement.  Though they are despicable creatures, they were not immediately hostile.  There was a tense standoff between one of their priests and myself.  I was only moved to speak to her when I realised we were wearing similar red and black armour.  I thought perhaps this similarity of fashion would cut across the moral and cultural divide between us.  I think it did, just slightly.  But she only allowed me into their settlement when I told her I was there to buy slaves.  An outrageous lie, but clearly they are used to that sort of business. 

It seems to be a trading port, which would explain why did not immediately attack me.  Nevertheless I remained completely on my guard the entire time I was there.  I was not harassed at any point, but unsurprisingly the drow were not very friendly either.  I almost panicked when I stumbled upon the duergar quarter, but there were few of their murderous warriors present.  They were virtually all miners, traders and slavers. 

I searched around and found a cave leading further down, but thought better of descending alone.  This time, at least.  But I spent the night beneath the earth (at least, I think it was a night.  It is very hard to tell time down there).  My fears of that place are relenting somewhat, and my next search will be more ambitious. 

Count Voust is still at large.  I have been praying to Selune that Casper would walk into my office with the Count's staked form, but it seems praying and waiting will not deliver him to me.  Perhaps like the underdark, I must attempt to handle this myself.

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 12:15:04 am »
Dear Diary

It's been an exhausting week.  The great shining positive has been some new arrivals in town and some old faces returning too.  We need brave people to help defend this city against and investigate the many threats it faces.  Ashram Aardyn has returned and taken up the mantle of the Adventurer's Society, and Belorfin returned shortly afterwards to help him.  They will teach any new arrivals willing to listen extremely well.  Ash has also said I'm welcome in the hall at any time, which is lovely. 

One of the new arrivals is particularly endearing, a little moon elf named Fhela.  She is a fellow Selunite and is so utterly cheeky that I can't help but laugh at her.  She said something that offended Sherina, something so trivial that I thought nothing further of it.  I took her to the crystal caves to find a crystal and left her there, asking her to meet me in town afterwards.  On my way back, I passed Michael who was looking for her.  I told him to check the caves and kept going.

Fhela never arrived back in town, so I became worried. Fjord and I went to the cave and found her dead, presumably by Michael's hand.  Michael and Sherina then arrived, and we had a tense stand-off with some exhausting conversation.  I wanted Michael to trust me and the legal system (he claims to be a man of the law, after all), but he felt that was a certain death sentence and preferred suicide.  Thankfully Ash and a party of his arrived and I was able to leave the matter in his hands.  Selune bless that man.  In the end, Fhela was revived and her testimony helped Michael avoid being executed.  Sheri and Michael married afterwards, though did not invite me.  Understandable, I suppose.

Sheri and I are still friends, and Michael and I have 'made up' I suppose.  But is this the price I pay for being so merciful and nice?  These things happening over and over?  He assaulted me once in his madness, and I chose to quietly send him to the farms to do some positive work and be cared for by Sherina.  I legally could have had him publicly beaten, fined and enslaved if he could not pay.  If Michael had lashed out at Mayor Stillscar, I shudder to think what would have happened to him.  I don't want to be like that.  But I can't keep giving people second and third chances.  I pray to the Lady of Silver that this time all will be well with Michael.

Commissar Stormweaver is doing some good work for me.  She loved the new sword I asked Fjord to make for her.  She suggested I also give Reginald Narthwell something constructive to do.  I feel bad for him, having essentially taken his job.  Fortunately, I have something he could do.  Hopefully he's willing to discuss it with me.