18 Apr 24, 13:16 pm » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Poll

Is the current Respawn and ressurection system to punishing?

Yes. And it may cause me to leave the server.
4 (22.2%)
Yes.
5 (27.8%)
No.
4 (22.2%)
No. And it will not cause me to leave the server.
3 (16.7%)
Yes. And it has caused me to leave.
1 (5.6%)
No. And if it changes I will leave.
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: June 28, 2018, 04:03:09 pm

Author Topic: Is the current Respawn and ressurection system to punishing?  (Read 15697 times)

Calabask

• Arcanist
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
Do you believe it is? If you don't think so at early levels, keep in mind when you hit 10, and above, you can easily lose a week or more worth of XP, and in some cases, from one death, can lose over a /months/ worth of XP. Not everyone has the time and inclination to grind out the XP they lose, and when you get into the teens, if they die and lose XP, grinding becomes something even harder as there are only a few quests to give XP.

Additionally, I do not believe the current system encourages RP in the least, it, in my opinion, causes there to be less with people just grouping up to grind XP which may be IC or OOC. There are alternatives. Some people have suggested Arelith's system. Another system I saw that worked well was a system that prevented you from getting hunting XP for a number of hours equal to your level, but you could still get DM XP, and Fairy XP.

Also, I firmly believe raises and ressurects from players should not give an XP penalty, or from the priest who charges 6k gold to raise someone. 6k is a fuckton of gold enough, let alone the person on the recieving end losing XP.

Comment below.

Eternally_Faithful

• Arcanist
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: Is the current Respawn and ressurection system to punishing?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 04:08:42 pm »
I second, third and fourth this, going from less then 4k to 9, down to 700 till lvl 8 because a bugbear chieftain managed a crit...it hurts, it sucks and the only response for it is to suck it up and move on. Or go see if X will oocly grind you up. Yep...these are the basic answers...I still say the Arelith system, while many might be a bit picky on it, would solve SO much of this....massively lower the xp cost, I would love to lose all gold im carrying and a low amount of xp instead if self raising, and instead I get x IG hours of res sickness if I self raised, 1hp with others just using a raise scroll..no xp cost so I still have to heal up...and full health with a full Resurrection.

eKross

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 04:17:27 pm »
I'd be down for even heftier xp cost on death, if it was temporary and last even up to a day. maybe prevent the character from gaining non dm xp during it too.

Verk

• Noble
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 04:24:55 pm »
Not punishing enough imo

Rose

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 04:39:22 pm »
Death was already reduced in penalty a lot. It is still able to be felt, but isn't crippling. I can't see how it can be reduced much more than it is already and not make something as serious as DEATH feel trivialized. I wouldn't like it personally. At least not with our magic level- but that's a whole other topic.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Maggers

• Arcanist
  • Rah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 04:41:53 pm »
For me it is fine as is. I'd prefer harsher as I want death to mean something. But I think this is a good compramise as it is.

eKross

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 05:16:43 pm »
I'd be down for even heftier xp cost on death, if it was temporary and last even up to a day. maybe prevent the character from gaining non dm xp during it too.

That was an awful sentence.
I'd be down for characters to temporarily lose levels for a long duration, preventing xp gains, except for dm xp. Maybe increase the duration of your death penalty the higher the level of the player is.

Later on when event xp is the only thing you get and you're not actively playing, you'll easily lose a month or more of progress even when resurrected, especially if you don't grind.

Snacks

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 05:45:33 pm »
I actually really like this idea. What if dying meant you took a penalty to levels for a set period of OOG time. Make it so that if you want to remove it before the duration is up you have to pay XP, otherwise you're out of the fight for a couple days.

smirnoff

• Citizen
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 06:06:01 pm »
Supernatural level drain that cannot be dispelled until a certain time in the future instead of XP loss perhaps?

Or divine intervention to reduce or eliminate XP loss from resurrection/respawn. Sort of like a get out of jail free card. This could be a "shard of insertdivinename", collected through pleasing the divines (random quest reward or DM loot).

Death must have meaning, however if it is too punishing then it definitely leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Most players would like to reach the maximum level in the shortest possible time. Any setback (even if it is insignificant) can delay your leveling process by days/weeks.
Death system is hard to balance and I don't think it is possible to please everyone. To some people the journey is more important than the destination, to others the journey must be quick and effortless and the destination is what really matters.

Rose

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 06:08:20 pm »
So with the level losses from death being temporary but returned over time suggestion... Like a full respawn takes away 15% xp now but maybe the xp tics become 100 xp until it gives back the 15% that was lost then goes back to normal before you died. If done that way, if I am understanding the suggestion correctly eKross, death is not a permanent loss but a temporary one. That'll end up drastically raising the server overall level as a result and would make raises and resurrections more of a waiting convenience since no xp is actually lost in the end, so that's something to consider.

Example, you died. Your respawn/raise/res caused you to lose 10k xp. You'll gain a new xp tic for 100 each, until that provides you 10k. That will require 100 tics, which is 16.6 hours of active play time.

I don't know how I feel about that or if I like it, but that would be one way to implement the suggestion posed.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 06:10:11 pm by Rose »
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Snacks

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 06:15:25 pm »
I'm not seeing a problem with this, since I think the only thing that changes in that equation is instead of spending the time you lost grinding trying to grind out more xp, you're spending it hopefully having meaningful interactions and rp with other people on server. Both are a time setback, but the temp loss would mean there isn't as much of a gap between the haves and have nots (characters who are built optimally versus not).

In the end it all comes down to time spent. I'd rather spend my time doing stuff like crafting or RPing with folks than going back out and having to grind it all back again.

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 06:32:05 pm »
The current crafting system only benefits production of armor and metal weapons. All other systems are not yet incorporated.

If the other crafting types were active, characters of all classes, not just those with STR something or spell of bull could take advantage of this, occupying themselves while recovering xp lost. The problem is not to lose xp, is to keep busy while recovering. Quests, content and roleplay help. But the system of craft and treasure hunting needs polishing

Cptzambie

• Developer
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 09:53:18 pm »
Death needs to be something that is feared and the game will become too easy if the xp penalty is tiny so please dont make it any smaller.

ToxicWrench

• Demi-God
  • Twisting nuts since '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 01:18:58 pm »
Not to mention if XP was cut off for a set amount of time be it a few days or whatever, many people will just not play until it's back, which is thd last thing we'd want. Personally I am pretty happy where it is now, amd watching everyone play it seems most people have no problems retaining those higher levels.

Calabask

• Arcanist
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 02:31:10 pm »
Not to mention if XP was cut off for a set amount of time be it a few days or whatever, many people will just not play until it's back, which is thd last thing we'd want. Personally I am pretty happy where it is now, amd watching everyone play it seems most people have no problems retaining those higher levels.

That's because they don't take risks because they literally can't afford to. /ONE/ death can wipe away three weeks or a month or even two months worth of work. /ONE./ And I garuntee you the people who voted yes and they might leave for it are likely people who are high level and died recently or almost died. The amount of times I've heard someone say "If I lose XP for this, I'm done." Is staggering and should be very much concerning for the team as a whole.

Quite frankly, it's just bad game design. Sure there's a market for it but that market, on NWN is very very niche. And even those who have a taste for it have their limits. If I lost a level or two due to one bad mistake, and I didn't have anyway of getting that XP back aside from a month or more of DM quests, and if there wasn't anything that really kept me to the server, I'd quit. I'm looking for a game and world to have fun in, not one that fucks me over if something goes wrong for a sec or
Due to lag or whatever.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 02:36:49 pm by Calabask »