24 Apr 24, 02:39 am » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Issues of the Conch Champion (For public reading)  (Read 15819 times)

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
  • Repairer of Reputations
    • View Profile
Re: Issues of the Conch Champion (For public reading)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 11:37:45 am »
The Conch Champion.  Independent & Accurate, Always.

A Nutty New Column
Dear readers, nothing stirs one to action quite like the pangs of simmering jealousy.  Reporter Antorino Nutt has requested that he be allowed a similar regular feature to his colleague Soppira Hellsworth.  Being impressed by his competitive resentment, I bring you Antorino's new project.  He shall profile less visible but equally notable people around Conch.  Being a man of wit and brevity (as well as a talented sketcher), Antorino shall give us a dose of his pencils along with notes on the person. 

Until next time, dear readers.  May the irritating radiance of the full moon not keep you up late!  Gods, it looks like a rotten block of soft cheese tonight. 

-G.Morton, editor.

A Pair of Workers
My first brace of notable residents of Conch are two of this city's quietest but hardest and most honest workers.

-A. Nutt, reporter.

Notary Victoria Hastings, West Netheril Trading Company

Ms Hastings is the only child of WNTC governor Every Hastings.  She's valued and respected at WNTC for her remarkable dedication and precision in what would be a tedious job to most.  Some have even described her as a prodigy in the art of business.  Yet one would have to wonder why this shining young scion of the Hastings clan is on her way to becoming a spinster.  Even more peculiar is her dropping out from her course at Nebular university last year.  Surely such a keen young mind would make a fine wizard?

Master Isekai, Nebular University

The perpetually solemn Master Isekai is Nebular's head of the school of Conjuration.  He is renowned for his plodding yet highly knowledgeable style of teaching which contrasts with his ferocity when it comes to disobedient or unruly students.  Naturally he is particularly skilled at summoning.  Why, his students often remark that Master Isekai can summon absolutely anything other than a smile. 
"I just can't take no pleasure in killing. There's just some things you gotta do. Don't mean you have to like it."

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2021, 02:01:49 am »

Weekend Musings
While even a sharp journalistic mind like my own cannot quite pinpoint the reason, I am sure you have all felt a certain sense of contentment about Conch today.  Perhaps there is no one cause.  It's surprising for me personally because we are currently in the process of moving our newspaper to a new office in the Conch Tenement Block.  Moving, as everyone knows, is a HORRIBLE experience which no one should ever have to endure.  I'd even feel sympathy for an adventurer moving house.  Obviously that would be a hypothetical situation because adventurers (especially Selunite ones) are almost invariably wayward and neurotic drifters rather than respectable renters or home owners. 

Since I have all but proven that Man-Bat is a crude hoax, I have turned my mind to a few of our other urban legends in Conch.  Bring me your sketches and personal stories of the Pied Piper and the Candyman that supposedly haunt our sewers!  Personally I believe that these creatures are just two more scams invented by lazy or simply incompetent adventurers (yes, Jimmy Two Bones, I am looking at you!).  Truly we are cursed with gossips of poor creativity when all they can come up with are anthropomorphic boogiemen to scare us with.  What next?  Is someone going to spread stories about a web-tossing "Human Spider"?  Ridiculous! 

-G. Morton, editor.

Pleasure and Pain
House Mistari and its affiliated organisation the Fane of the Thorned Rose have been actively advertising in Conch this past week.  House Mistari is seeking retainers and staff who "respect the teachings of pain" and the Fane is offering to discipline unruly underlings or teach masters in such techniques.  House Mistari is seemingly a noble house but does not currently appear on the register of recognised nobles of Conch.  This is presumably an oversight due to House Mistari's relatively recent arrival.  Some have cynically said that Conch is a city full of suffering and misbehaviour so House Mistari's advertising will fall on fertile ground. 

-S. Hellsworth, reporter.

New Librarian
The Great Library in Hadrian has announced Miss Arabelle Nelson has been assigned as librarian for all materials relating to Conch.  She was hired because of late the library has been visited frequently by residents of Conch and she is also the apprentice of Head Librarian Albert Pendragon Jr.  Of Miss Nelson herself little is known, although this reporter has been told that she has a personal link to Conch.  One source claims she is the illegitimate daughter of a famous resident of Conch, another that she lived here for many years under a different identity.  Whatever the truth, her presence should make research easier for those journeying to Hadrian. 

-A. Nutt, reporter.

Nebular in Lockdown
The Nebular University has announced it will be operating in a limited capacity "for a time".  Their short official announcement assured that "all was well", although also stated that an arcanist had been injured in an experiment gone wrong.  Residents of Upper Conch have expressed concerns about Nebular's secrecy in this matter and are already saying that staff and guards are only listening to the most urgent requests from the public.  "Aren't they our District Authority?" said resident Boabdil Kurdraus, Esquire.  "What if I get accosted by a beggar?  Or see someone drinking without a coaster?  Do I have to yell over the fence for a smelly brute from Diiri's Boys now for gods' sake?"  All residents of Upper Conch nervously await the next announcement from the university. 

-P. Krellin, reporter. 
"I just can't take no pleasure in killing. There's just some things you gotta do. Don't mean you have to like it."

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 12:37:05 am »

Tales of Conch
Hello again, dear readers!  As I completely expected I have not received any evidence of the existence of the Pied Piper or the Candyman.  Once again, I state that these legends are just boogiemen of no substance!  The Candyman myth has had some extra embellishments these past weeks with some claiming that this infamous snatcher of children is now targeting halflings.  Can these stories get any more ridiculous?  Yes, District Authorities have confirmed that some of the little folk have gone missing of late but let's be serious here.  They are small and hard to find at the best of times.  They're probably just hiding behind some little boxes, puffing on their little pipes like the adorably harmless little creatures they are. 

Interestingly enough, I did receive an account about our legendary Man-Bat.  As you know I considered this creature an utter fabrication but the story sent to me was compelling.  A West Netheril Trading Company guard claims he saw with his own eyes the dreaded Man-Bat!  He said it was in hot pursuit of a blue-haired fellow in leather armour and the pair burst out of a residence.  At first the guard believed it to be a prank and had a good laugh.  When it become clear the Man-Bat meant to murder the blue-haired warrior he was forced to intervene and slay it.  The WNTC guard claimed the corpse was of some sort of mutant humanoid.  I still maintain that the vast majority of Man-Bat sightings were hoaxes by Selunite adventurers (bats are creatures of the night, after all) but clearly there were also a few caused by this pitiful creature.  Hopefully now the sightings will decline. 

Finally, we're still moving into our new office at the Conch Tenement Block.  We've purchased new furniture, but I became tired of my reporters squabbling over who should get the nicest desk and chair.  I graciously offered to take them myself, thus harmoniously ending the dispute.  Now that, dear readers, is leadership!

-G.Morton, editor.

Decline in Vermin
All across Conch there has been a marked drop in reports about rat infestations.  While there has been no official announcement, many believe that the Nebular University along with some mercenaries are responsible for the end to the plague.  Unfortunately, the crows that have plagued Conch remain as troublesome as ever.

Missing Halfling Persons
District Authorities have been perplexed by the number of halflings being reported as missing of late.  Though they form a small percentage of Conch's total population, in the past few weeks missing person reports involving halflings have been disproportionately high.  Local historian Alain Otorr stated that the halfling settlement of Hilltop suffered a similar plague of missing "hins" over a century ago and he speculated that there may be some link between the events. 

-A. Nutt, reporter.

No Mercy for Thief
Chief Justice Mercy Pineblight has sentenced a petty thief to a year of indentured service to West Netheril Trading Company after convicting him of theft and disruption of trade.  Mr Leopold Vallen admitted to stealing a loaf of bread in the central market and overturning two market stalls in his attempt to flee the guards.  Pineblight rejected Vallen's defence that the bread was for his hungry children, and she placed the children under the city's care for the duration of the sentence.  "There," Pineblight stated "they will be taught there is never an excuse for disrupting commerce." 

-P. Krellin, reporter. 

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2021, 10:51:38 pm »
IMPORTANT MESSAGE FROM THE OWNER
Readers, you will all have heard the rumours that our beloved editor Giona Morton has gone missing.  Sadly, they are true.  I will try to put your minds at ease by describing what I believe has happened.

Giona's editorials give some hint of his deteriorating mental state, though sadly I have only realised this in hindsight.  I am told he was becoming paranoid in the office and even searching reporters' desks for signs they were spies sent by his enemies.  I was one of the last people to see him in Conch.  I spoke to him the morning he disappeared and suggested he take a long vacation to "get away from the world".  He agreed, and said he just had to make a deposit at the bank to pay an invoice first.  While we spoke, he was doodling on the front of a newspaper, which is when he wrote the cryptic message reported by the WNTC guards who searched the office. 

As we now know, the bank was the last time Giona was seen in Conch.  I know the man well and I believe that there is nothing sinister about his "vanishing".  He simply took my advice too literally and has retreated somewhere isolated.  Unfortunately this means the newspaper must struggle on without him.  For that reason there will be no issue this weekend, and I apologise for that inconvenience.

Naturally we need a new editor.  Therefore I open applications to the public.  Please send a letter to the editor detailing your interest and qualifications.  I feel that the Conch Champion needs to mend bridges with adventurers and Selunites so I warmly encourage them to apply too.  In the meantime I shall administer the newspaper myself as best I can.  May the Lady of Mysteries watch over us all.

-Rudolph Hurstport, owner

OOC note:
This is open to interested PCs. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 03:15:11 am by Fiverine »

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2021, 12:56:56 pm »

The Perils of Ownership
The greatest burden of owning a business is knowing that ultimately, the coin stops with you.  Without any serious interest (oh there have been pranks, believe me) in the editor's position I am forced now to act in the position myself until it can be filled.  It seems that wherever Giona Morton went, he is not coming back anytime soon (truly a shame, for we have finally completed the move to our new office in the Market District).  I even asked previous editor Perrina Layne to consider returning but she seems quite happy in retirement.  My idiot son Flokki expressed interest in the job, but I'm not going to inflict editorials about which ladies at the Loving Lamb give the best value upon you.  I'm not a journalist, so you'll have to bear with me and forgive some mistakes.  The editor's position is still open so do please send an application if you are interested! 

It seems I have taken up this job in a perilous time.  Some are even whispering that war could be coming to Conch.  Fear not readers, The Conch Champion has proudly served and informed this city in times of strife and war in the past.  We are on your side, never doubt that! 

-R. Hurstport, owner & acting editor

Nebular Exclusive
The Conch Champion can exclusively report that Nebular apprentice Lauriella Sithirr has received an astonishing dual promotion to both journeywoman and acting head of the special projects and dangerous experiments section of the university.  The latter promotion has occurred due to the kidnapping of her superior, Arcanist Cassandra.  Our sources, who cannot be named, say that the news has stunned her fellow students who look upon her new role with a mixture of admiration, envy and resentment.  Though Sithirr has been a ferocious critic of  this newspaper, in the spirit of forgiveness we wish her well in her new roles. 

Darkness in Hilltop
The woes of halfling village Hilltop have continued.  The disappearances and murders it has suffered recently culminated in a great shadowy mass blotting out the village from view for a time.  It is believed that the actions of halfling defenders and allies from Conch were able to defeat whatever horror caused this and allowed the sun to shine upon the village once more.  However, disturbing reports of raiders and warbands in our region almost immediately followed.  A link between the two events seems likely. 

-A. Nutt, reporter.

Conch Man Murdered by Rengarth
Sketchy reports have filtered to us that a man from Conch was recently killed by barbarians when he tried to enter a sacred cave on Rengarth land.  Although the location of his death is not yet clear, the Conch Champion can exclusively reveal his identity as Anders Yates, an enforcer for Conch's Kolumbo Gang.  One can only speculate what a ruffian from West Conch was doing in such a place.

-P. Krellin, reporter. 

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2021, 06:25:11 am »

Exclusive Investigative Report
Reporter Peela Krellin has concluded an investigation into the strange artifacts known as "soulstones" or "soulgems".  I commend her courage and diligence in this matter.

-R. Hurstport, owner and acting editor.

Stealers of Souls
Those acquainted with magical artifacts will surely already know of or have encountered the unsettling items known as soulstones.  To the uneducated, one of these would seem to be a pretty gemstone of moderate value.  But in truth they are disturbing creations into which the soul and essence of a killed sentient creature has been bound.  Activating the stone will cause a magical effect, usually a physically enhancing one, but this can only be done three times.  On the third use, the stone will crumble and the soul bound within obliterated forever.  Most folk would consider such a deed utterly abhorrent, and yet increasingly these items are appearing in our markets.  So presumably some have no qualms about their use. 

The rulers of West Conch, Diiri's Boys, have effectively used these soulstones to seize and retain their dominance of the slums.  As District Authorities, that is entirely their right and their business.  But one would have to wonder if their use by the Boys has played a role in these once rare items being regularly found in the Conch area.  If the soulstones were to be entirely in the hands of their employees perhaps there would be little cause to worry, unless you were their enemy of course.  But increasingly soulstones are falling into other hands. 

A concerned parent recently wrote to this newspaper saying her child found one when collecting rocks.  The parent accidentally triggered the stone's power.  Initially confused, they were horrified when they took the soulstone to a priest who explained the nature of it.  The parent was frightened that someone would come after them or their child for having possession of and using such an item.  Adventurers have also been known to collect or carry soulstones, either to use them or hand them over to priests in hopes of releasing the trapped soul.  They have been finding soulstones in the possession of monsters and bandits.  Many sellers in the market district told this reporter that more soulstones than ever are being sold to them by adventurers, scavengers and traders.  Interestingly not all of these soulstones are genuine but many are. 

There is little consensus on how these soulstones are made, or by whom.  Evidently Diiri's Boys have some insight into their creation, but it is also likely that any powerful arcanist could learn the necessary artifice.  It is said that rival gangs are also seeking the secrets of their creation.  But should such cruelly created items be allowed in the possession of anyone outside District Authorities?  Do religious institutions have a responsibility to intervene when the destruction of souls is the ultimate result?  I make no judgement, but simply report these facts for the reader to decide.

-P. Krellin, reporter. 

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2022, 07:36:39 am »

I Hate This Job
I'm not in the mood for an editorial today because, well, read the headline.  So I shall let the reporters "do their thing", as they say. 

- R. Hurstport, owner and acting editor.

Heights of Discrimination
In recent weeks the District Authority Nebular has received repeated complaints from members of the more diminutive races in Upper Conch.  A gang of unknown masked humans has been accosting lone halflings, gnomes and dwarfs in Uptown and threatening them or even beating them up.  On a few occasions offensive notes have been left pinned to the unconscious victims.  "NO MIDGETS IN UPTOWN!" was one of the printable ones.  Similar graffiti has been spotted on buildings in Upper Conch of late.  Lone halflings have been the most frequent victims of this outrageous racism.  With no arrests made by Nebular guards yet it is rumoured that the halfling community in Conch may be considering taking action of their own. 

Ogres Attack Sadardiel Estate
The Conch Champion has been informed that the Sadardiel Estate at Lake Vyctoria fended off yet another ogre raid on the weekend.  The raids have been increasing in frequency and severity.  Lady Apolline Sadardiel has both declared her family's determination to remain on their titled lands and her desire for skilled mercenaries to either join the plantation's garrison or work for House Sadardiel on a freelance basis. 

-A. Nutt, reporter.

Another Bizarre Ruling
Conch's most eccentric judge, Justice Oswald Schenker, has sentenced yet another criminal of Conch to a bizarre punishment.  Creek farmer Mr Percy Leibold was found guilty of being exceptionally cruel to the cats he kept in his barn.  Justice Schenker sentenced Mr Leibold to being transmuted into a cat for a week and living in said barn.  Mistress Abighail of Nebular agreed to perform the procedure at Justice Schenker's request.  The Creek Farms' head farmer Joy Lambton said that Mr Leibold's cat body is already "looking scratched up to hell" from the barn cats exacting their vengeance.

-P. Krellin, reporter.

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2022, 03:44:04 am »

I Still Hate This Job
I must say I am dismayed that seemingly not a single soul in Conch is willing to relieve me of this burden of editing my own newspaper.  But fine.  I will do it my bloody self if I must.  At least I can say that the recent months have been calm in our fair city.  The threat of war seems to have receded and our greatest danger right now is that of dreadful self-appointed comedians abusing the professionalism of our city proclaimers.  That said, I pride my reporters on being skilled at dredging up dismaying news no matter how good things appear (surely nobody reads a newspaper for GOOD news?).  So please read on and enjoy their efforts!

-R. Hurstport, owner and acting editor.

Mysteries of the Gods
The Conch Champion has been informed that all three Tychean temples in Conch have recently added sealed vaults to their crypts.  While we are a mere newspaper and have no right or interest to meddle in the affairs of the gods, loyal and longstanding parishioners of the temples have complained to the Champion about being forbidden to enter these new rooms.  Nor have parishioners been provided with any explanation of the sudden need for secrecy and security.  This reporter has contacted all three temples to query the matter.  All three gave the same reply that it is an internal church matter and of no concern to this newspaper or the general public. 

Massacre at Hilltop
Yet another tragedy has befallen the halfling village of Hilltop.  A halfling warrior by the name of Lotho Thistlevale went berserk upon returning from a long journey to the west and slew several humans who were in Hilltop on business.  Then he turned his wrath upon those fellow halflings who sought to restrain or pacify him.  Differing accounts say that he was then either slain by the Hilltop militia or narrowly escaped them.  Conch's West Netheril Trading Company had some members in Hilltop at the time and they were amongst those slain.  WNTC has informed the Champion that they have sent a letter to Hilltop demanding the resurrection of their staff and compensation for their trauma. 

-A. Nutt, reporter.

Secrets of the Wizard Tower
The normally reclusive wizard Ptolemy of West Conch has asked for brave adventurers to go to his tower and face the challenge of his "Room of Doors".  Ptolemy told the Conch Champion that adventurers will find both danger and rewards in this room beneath his tower.  This newspaper can only speculate about what awaits any intrepid adventurers who answer his call.  We invite any who survive their visit to write a letter to the editor to explain their experience. 

-P. Krellin, reporter.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 03:48:01 am by Fiverine »

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2023, 09:43:59 am »
Special report provided to the Conch Champion by Diana Sable

The Isle of Death has always been an issue for the Conch Council and my family, from its days of a prison and forced labour camp to what it has become these days. The Isle is now full of swamp creatures and undead but this was not always the case ...

When my Great Great Grandfather Denvar Sable discovered the isle, it was a small rich forest with many animals living there and nothing like it looks like today from his early reports. There was rumours and tales from the local barbarian tribes that this was a sacred site, said that some relics had been washed down from the Columns of the Sky and the mysterious Cave of Lost Soul or placed on the isle. Over time the isle grew in size as the river deposited soil and rocks splitting the river into two, now looking the way it does to day.

Of course back in the old days these rumours had been dismissed and plan made to make a prison on the isle, away from the main city with its natural benefits been the fast flowing river. But something when wrong ...

Originally set up as a prison and forced labour camp, the head of the guards who had been given wardenship of the colony had more sinister plans for it. The prisoners here were given little in the way of tools, clothing, shelter or food and those that complained were tortured and killed for the entertainment of the Warden and to feed his dark desires. Through this cruelty and the inhuman treatment of the prisoners, it led to widespread disease, abuse of power, violence, and even cannibalism. Rumours have always been around that he seeks the power of the gods or was been controlled by another to obtained relics of power.

I have been living in a shack close to the isle and been watching, search and collecting evidence that there is more to the isle than we first thought. An Cult of the Dead has mostly taken control of the isle and is using the undead in mines on the top of the isle, seeking something that was buried long ago. What this is and why it is being done I don not known, but it can only mean bad news to the City of Conch.

So I ask for your help, I seek to reclaim some or if not all the isle in my families name plus the removal of this threat

- Diana Sable
Build it and they will come.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2023, 08:52:17 am »
Notice in the Couch Champion to those seek travel to the Isle of Death

I am currently not taking passengers to the Isle of Death or Sable Swamp.

At any price.

Will advise when this is possible again

Captain Shilah

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2023, 03:15:43 am »
The Conch Champion.  Free of Thinking.

Is that leather Meriwether?

The Conch Champion can exclusively reveal that the famed leather and fur company Meriwether has received approval from West Netheril Trading Company to build a tannery and attached workshop near Conch.  This facility will be placed in the swamps west of Conch to reduce tannery odours reaching the city.  Meriwether is renowned in both Upper and Lower Netheril for producing furs, hides and leathers of peerless quality and Conch is most fortunate to have its own producer of these products now. 

"Whether you are a scholar needing delicate but durable leather to bind your books, a warrior seeking functional but attractive leather armour with spotted fur trim, or a noble wishing for a luxurious feathered cloak or purse then Meriwether is the place for you!" said tannery overseer Hud Trueman.  "We also have a very small number of hunting, security and workshop positions available for exceptionally skilled men and women," he continued.  Meriwether is known to have very generous wages and benefits, so these positions are sure to fill up quickly. 

-P. Krellin, reporter. 

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2023, 02:36:43 am »
The Conch Champion.  Free of thinking. 

Are these our last quiet days?
Conch has enjoyed a streak of several rather quiet and uneventful months.  Now some might find that reassuring or soothing, but not me.  As a newspaper owner I see times like this as utter poison and I detest them!  But fortunately relief may be at hand, for some of our sources have brought back troubling information.  May you enjoy these reports as much as I have!

-R. Hursport, owner and acting editor

Plague of cats falls upon Conch
The number of stray cats has sharply risen in recent weeks.  While some have welcomed the cats in hopes they will keep vermin down, other citizens of Conch are furious.  The cats have been loitering at guard posts all over town, stealing milk from dairies, begging citizens for scraps and despoiling alleys and corners of the city.  All three District Authorities claim to have a shortage of manpower which is preventing them from culling or removing the cats.  The Conch Champion has researched these claims and can exclusively reveal that a startling number of Conch guards have gone missing in the past few weeks. 

Missing lizardman
The Scales gang of West Conch has told the Conch Champion that one of their enforcers, Rhyaex, mysteriously disappeared yesterday.  The lizardman was sent to the swamps west of Conch on vital "honest and legitimate business" according to Scales leader Kerrar.  However, Rhyaex did not return.  Unusually, no rival gang has claimed responsibility.  Kerrar vehemently insisted his enforcer was a hardy warrior and an expert in navigating swamps safely so the chances of him being simply lost or eaten by some beast are remote. 

-A. Nutt, reporter.

Suspicious cult arrives in Conch
District authorities have informed the Conch Champion that preachers from a strange and often suppressed cult have arrived in Conch.  The Order of the Ascended Lady is a heretical cult that preaches that the late Archmage Vyctoria Valstiir became a goddess when her enclave crashed to the earth over a century ago.  They are known to preach aggressively and promote seditious acts.  The cult has long been banned in Hadrian and some are arguing that Conch should follow suit. 

-P. Krellin, reporter. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 02:49:39 am by Fiverine »

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2023, 04:40:44 am »

Omens and Portents
Before I begin, I must confess that I am a mere newspaper owner and reluctant editor of said publication.  I claim no particular powers of prophecy, beyond having the gut instinct one would expect from a man in the newspaper business.  Yet, I feel a hunch that strange events and visitors are heading Conch's way in the near future.  My gut is telling me something.  Perhaps it's been set off by the startling stories below in today's issue.  Or perhaps it was just that dubious block of cheese I nibbled on last night.  Read on, and decide for yourself!

-R.Hursport, owner and acting editor.

Madman terrorises Market District
Conch's Market District was in chaos yesterday afternoon due to a crazed rampage by a citizen of Conch.  Mr Bromden Toole, a Creek Farmer, ran into the markets screaming nonsense and overturning stalls.  WNTC guards struggled to capture and restrain the husky farmer, eventually succeeding.  A witness to the event exclusively told the Conch Champion that Mr Toole was "screaming some nonsense about a well.  He was saying that he fell into it, and that it was big down there and things tried to stop him climbing back out.  Sounds like the crazy talk of a lunatic to me."  This reporter is inclined to agree.

Strange tunnels near Lake of Tears
Off-duty plantation workers of the Sadardiel Estate flanking Lake Vyktoria (better known by locals as the Lake of Tears) have seemingly come to ruin exploring some labyrinthine tunnels discovered nearby.  After a few brought back modest trinkets and treasures from looting the depths, others attempted the same and vanished somewhere within.  The tunnels are now deemed cursed or dangerous and no other workers have dared to venture in.  The Sadardiel noble family has said it cannot spare retainers to learn the fate of the lost workers due to severe casualties suffered in recent ogre raids upon their holdings. 

-A. Nutt, reporter. 

Cults brawl in Upper Conch
Rival cults have fought vicious battles in the streets of Uptown this week in the sort of violence usually associated with the slums of West Conch.  Both sides used magic including necromancy in the scuffles, forcing Nebular guards and mages to take decisive action to end the violence.  Most of the cultists were killed or captured in the Nebular response, but it is believed some fled and are still at large.  It is not clear yet what the name, beliefs or goals of either cult are.  What is known is that one side painted their faces like skulls and the other had the letter "V" emblazoned on their robes. 

-P. Krellin, reporter. 

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2023, 07:55:52 am »
** a small poster added to the latest issue of the Conch Champion **

🌐 **WELLS OF NETHERIL EXPLORATION NOTICE** 🌐

**DARE TO DESCEND? PROCEED WITH CAUTION!**

Adventurous souls seeking to explore the mysterious Wells of Netheril, heed this warning before you take the plunge into the depths:

🚫 DANGER LURKS BELOW: These wells are portals to the unknown, shrouded in mystery and fraught with peril. Be prepared for encounters with untamed beasts, ancient guardians, or otherworldly denizens.

🌑 UNCHARTED TERRITORY: The depths of the Wells of Netheril are unexplored realms, brimming with both treasure and treachery. Only the boldest and most resourceful should venture forth.

⚔️ ARM YOURSELF: Equip yourself with weapons, spells, and allies to face the dangers that lie in wait. A heart unflinching and a spirit unyielding are your best allies.

🌐 NO TWO WELLS ARE ALIKE: Each well harbors its own unique challenges and surprises. Enter with open eyes, and be ready for the unexpected.

⛔️ WARNING: Unauthorized tampering with the Wells of Netheril is strictly prohibited. Ancient magics could react with disastrous consequences.

**TAKE CARE, BRAVE SOULS!** While the thrill of discovery calls to you, the shadows within the wells may hold fates best left undisturbed. Approach with caution, for only the prepared shall emerge triumphant.

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2024, 11:46:06 am »

Conch's right to know!
When I was a lad my parents occasionally took me to see the Skettus Memorial Menagerie over in Hadrian.  A marvelous place in those times, but I recently learned that tragedy has befallen it.  It seems that something awful has happened, something ghastly that the people of Hadrian would rather outsiders not know about.  Hearing of their wishes I naturally dispatched a reporter to cover the story!  After all, as a fellow (but superior) city in the same region Conch has a right to know what is going on, do we not?  Read on and learn what she discovered.

-R. Hursport, owner and acting editor. 

Horror in Hadrian
The Skettus Memorial Menagerie has a proud history in the city of Hadrian.  Named after a now fallen noble family who had a penchant for collecting strange artifacts and fauna it was a key tourist attraction.  But sadly that history has been tainted with a recent disaster.  A virulent affliction of unknown origin spread through the attractions of the menagerie.  Witnesses interviewed by this reporter described the disease as akin to rabies.  Animals and monsters were driven mad with rage and turned on their attendants, tearing them apart.  Tragically, the menagerie's longtime manager was amongst the staff killed and devoured by the former exhibits.  City exterminators were sent in but suffered the same grim fate.  Hadrian's government has therefore ordered the menagerie's doors sealed, but from the sounds this reporter heard, the horrors inside still live on. 

Defective Constructs
Citizens in Upper Conch were excited to hear about a new golem workshop opening in their district.  Unfortunately, an insider who cannot be named has told the Champion that the workshop has experienced major difficulties with their products.  The golems have been made from a variety of materials but all allegedly share the same flaw.  Our source refused to reveal the actual problem but the dull "booms" coming from the workshop which some residents have complained about of late give a strong hint.  In another troubling development groups of fully armed adventurers have been sighted visiting the workshop.

-A. Nutt, reporter. 

Gnomish delegation arrives in Conch
Nebular University is currently hosting a group of gnomes from the underground colony of Cogsworth Haven.  The gnomes are here to promote trade relations with Conch and say they have a variety of raw materials and crafts to sell.  It is understood that one of the many things they produce are clockwork golems, a product sure to be useful with the production problems at Conch's own workshop.  Talks are reportedly going well with the recently elected mayor of Cogsworth Haven, Zilros Bafflehide.  Bafflehide succeeded the late and long-serving ruler Don Botsutonni.  However, West Netheril Trading Company is furious that they were not informed of the gnome party's visit, nor were they invited to be a part of the negotiations.  Lieutenant-governor Neville Gloucester informed this newspaper that he has sent a scathing letter to Nebular demanding an explanation.  Relations between Nebular and WNTC are accordingly tense right now.

-P. Krellin, reporter.