19 Apr 24, 17:06 pm » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Should there be ways to get XP outside of DM Events from level 15 onwards?  (Read 8510 times)

Calabask

• Arcanist
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
That's the question, now's the time to answer. Me? I say yes. Because it sucks for people, especially casual players who may not get in any DM quests, to at some point die, and lose levels, and have no recourse. Of course, this would have to imply that those who made it to get XP past level 15 or 16 to have been in DM events because that is currently the only way to get XP at those levels. People don't stop learning, and don't stop developing when DM's aren't around, and I believe the fairying being extended again to 15, and higher levels is a good thing, and a fair thing to allow people to not lose progress that could take a very long time to once again get to, and they shouldn't forget the skills they've learned because of it. Take note, I'm not against XP penalties, or that someone may lose a level when dying. What I think there should be though, is a method to get XP past level 15 that does not strictly belong to DM events.

Cooptastic

• Arcanist
  • Hentai Analyst
    • View Profile

Maggers

• Arcanist
  • Rah!
    • View Profile
No I think its fine as is, you can gain resources in other ways. LvL 15 is easy enough to achieve and regain. If anything I would swing the other way and things should be harder to get to lvl 15 and perhaps even the max lvls reduced by 5 to balance out the server.

Sabaron

• Arcanist
  • Dandelion Eater
    • View Profile
+1 to Maggers' post.

ToxicWrench

• Demi-God
  • Twisting nuts since '06
    • View Profile
No. I agree that if anything, it should be lower.

Calabask

• Arcanist
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
No I think its fine as is, you can gain resources in other ways. LvL 15 is easy enough to achieve and regain. If anything I would swing the other way and things should be harder to get to lvl 15 and perhaps even the max lvls reduced by 5 to balance out the server.

Resources?

StoPlains

• Noble
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
Although it makes Scroll/Potion/Wand making quite awkward at high levels, the current system is fine. However, I do feel there needs to be more of an incentive to be online outside of RP-ing and events. Also, I believe DM loot needs to be distributed more frequently since my level is really all I have to show for the amount of DM events I have gone to, outside of a couple trinkets I don't use. Personally, I get bored unless I feel some sort of mechanical progression even if it is small (crafting sort of satisfies it but only to such an extent). Of course, this progression does not need to be Level-wise but should be something more than merely "progressing the plot." However, as someone who usually plays Single Player Modules, my opinion might not be fully valid.

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
Personally speaking, I plan to stand still between lvl 13-14 in order to support my group by producing items in exchange for xp. At some point I throw through the window the idea that character level means quality. I'm trying to focus on the fun and group roleplay.

Levels are only interesting if you need to face mobs in high-level maps, dm events or other players. Other than that, it's just numbers.

Snacks

• Noble
    • View Profile
I personally don't care what the level cap is, but I dislike this 'soft-cap' 'hard-cap' stuff. Lower the level cap if you think it'll bring the server more in balance, just make it so that there's something to do at the top that rewards something, even if it's just enough xp to not delevel when you die or vanity stuff. People can define themselves IG through RP, they don't need superlevels and I don't like how those superlevels are only obtained through the arbitrary granting of xp via DMs. Same with PrCs. Set the limits however you like, but I think they should be obtainable or at least allowed to progress without a DM having to watch and okay every step.

Rose

• Noble
    • View Profile
I think Snacks echoes my opinion on it as well. I think if there is a level limit then that should be the limit. The highest level that you can quest at is 15 so it already has a big slowdown once you hit that point. Exceeding it means you are no longer capable of doing any quests as there are no high level quests, which limits ability to interact with other characters.

DM xp as only source is something I don't like. It really encourages just grinding events instead regardless of if the character really should be involved or care about something going on or not. It also limits your ability to progress your character in that regard to when a DM is on, available, and active- not when you are on, available and active. In regard to the topic I think that yes there should be non-dm xp available after 15, even if it is just xp tic and resource turn-in, but that 16 should be the maximum upper level period end of story. 16 is where 3/4 classes catch up to finish their bracket, sorc catches up to wizard in spell circle, ability score gain, and it stops full bab/spell classes from hitting 9th circle spells at 17.

tl;dr  yes let xp still be gained. But cap at 16. Let it still be gained after 16 however to buffer for deaths or use for scribing/wands/potions, but no levels past 16. DM xp should be extra icing on top, not the driving motivation.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:00:09 pm by Rose »
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Drufice

• Noble
    • View Profile
No. Lvl 15 should be cap.
=Cheers and Beers Kids=