25 Apr 24, 00:42 am » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Songs and memories of a mother and witch  (Read 30269 times)

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
Re: Songs and memories of a mother and witch
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2018, 09:10:27 pm »
Some notes written in the book of shadows...

Something I need to record is about Chester, the current mayor of Hadrian.

The election at Hadrian occurred in a confusing, complex way, with candid candidates, or who died, or who were a joke, or who were cadidataram for personal gain or for excuse reasons.

However, even with a confused past (he even called himself a pimp, selling potions in hadrian), I'll admit, I learned to respect Chester.

First, he was placed in a position of mayor, replacing an incompetent. And having to deal with 3 noble houses with their own laws that command and disguise in hadrian, with an Arcane guild that is the voice of the empire, that ignores the desires of all ... And with daily problems of attacks of creatures and monsters, Chestes turned out to be serious, when it's to protect Hadrian.

First, he was placed in a position of mayor, replacing an incompetent. And having to deal with 3 noble houses with their own laws that command and disguise in hadrian, with an Arcane guild that is the voice of the empire, that ignores the desires of all... And with daily problems of attacks of creatures and monsters, Chestes turned out to be serious, when it's to protect Hadrian.

I was already looking closely at Chester's behavior as mayor. During the trial of the assassination case, he was tough and rigid, not giving up pressure and avoiding killing someone, giving everyone involved in the investigation time to search for more clues later, choosing to exile someone who was probably to blame but had no evidence enough to confirm the guilt.

When the swords died, he tried to press for answers, making a trade embargo against Sullivan. And he explained to me the reasons for keeping the embargo, and which to remove it later.

During the meeting with me, Lushen, Raul, the two aasimars recruits, Keelie and later, Chester, the two Aasimars were more interested in dealing with the constant attacks of creatures around hadrian and inclined to obtain glories in battle and war, a subject that already was being accompanied before with Raul Kuronegro, making everyone losing the focus of the meeting regarding the rescues Rod bodies and Snacks with Chester present in the moment. Something that had already been discussed without Chester, but ended up wasting unnecessary time, which was lost...

Because of the emergencies that had in the farms of the east of Hadrian and the tribes to the north, we were never able to finish the meeting satisfactorily. This bothers me deeply, because we waste essential time to do something we already done with the swords present. And in the end, we missed a great chance to deal with something openly with the Swords and Chester present.

Next time, I'll have to restrict myself to Keelie and Raul to talk abour something more important. So, as fewer people present, it is possible to speak directly with the higher rank of swords, summarizing the problems quickly, without losing focus with something without proofs or clear leads to deal in the most immediate moment. Do not we lose focus on meetings or talk about something really important.

When everything else become more calmer, and I had my conversation with Stoneheart, a warrior of the tribes of the north, I called Keelie and Lushen to talk privately with Chester in his office. I did not think it was right to call the two Aasimars to talk about something more serious or important, since they still gave me no reason to trust them yet, mainly because their achievements were only in battlefield, never in personal fields or with other people. They may be the "avenging angels" of battle and sent by selune. But I do not find them appropriate to deal with certain types of subject yet.

Chester was talking in the office with everyone, and he made clear how he devoted himself to the good of the population of Hadrian, who still did not understand all the effort he did to protect everyone. And Chester was clear in demonstrating his deep sorrow and pain in dealing with so many difficulties, without Rod, Snacks and Rassali to support him, advise and talk to him.

Chester is certainly a rare species in extinction in the political field: Someone who cares about his citizens and good people. At least, this is what his actions have shown me to date. I have made clear to him my sincere support in trying to help him if it is possible within my reach.

His concern about the loss of food on the farms, because of the goblins' attacks, about the wounded in the attacks in the region of farms. And various details and traits are difficult to fake. I hope Chester continues to make the right choices for the right reasons. And even though he knows he has more to lose than to win, he remains the mayor.

I just hope someday the citizens of the empire will understand this, for all he tries to do.

About myself, I'm dealing with different problems. Giving support to members of my tribe, seeking rare flowers for someone, seeking to locate the lost relatives of another member of my tribe, or trying to find ways to see the jannath  acting in the future.

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2018, 06:04:12 pm »

This is another rare specimen in Hadrian. Raul Kuronegro is a cleric of The Lady  of Mysteries, Mystral.

To begin with, his presence in Hadrian is an affront to the arcane guild. His presence reminds all the arcades of the noble houses to use the knowledge and mystical gifts with responsibility. This is cruelly difficult for Raul, living in an empire where archmage cares nothing, only with power. And with noble houses, crazy individuals, and all sorts of crazy with arcane powers, creatures transmuted by magic, wizards who go crazy and hide legally behind the laws of noble houses and empire.

At great cost, he discreetly managed to conquer a small and humble chapel in Hadrian. In a city commanded by a mage mayor, with an arcane guild and noble houses with mages, this is a great sign of how the mages and arcanes in hadrian little value Mystral, little value the responsibility and little love the knowledge. This is shamefully humiliating, to all the wizards, sorceres, and arcanes of Hadrian. For them to give so little value to the goddess Mystral who give them day after day powers and resources, is the same as slapping their own mother after listening her saying "I love you".

Raul is a balanced man. He is not extremely careless or impulsive, and possesses the correct amount of common sense. And he is not arrogant as most Hadrian people are. And also know when to listen, and how to deal with problems. Too bad he took the active lead of the swords after the death of Snacks and Rod. I would actually prefer that he be valued as long as the two were alive. But only Selune and the dame in command in swords can justify this shemeful delay.

Something that Raul has and nobody values is patience. I wonder where he takes so much patience sometimes. I've rarely seen him angry or upset. And also has a cool head enough to deal with several different problems. Several times I have seen him dealing with people and situations where he stopped to breathe, to analyze and to move forward at the current moment, while others still jumped without thinking about dangerous situations.

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2018, 10:12:34 pm »

Yesterday was a busy day, but important. After a long adventure together with a group of adventurers, I helped protect nature and the region, in the name of nature and the goddess Jannath, invoking fire, lightning, blessings of protection and healing for various different adventurers. In the end, everything went well. And I was able to reaffirm my love for nature and the earth mother Jannath before all and publicly thank her and her help.

After a while, my tribe decided to make an offering ritual to Jannath, thanking her for everything done before and after. Briland, who laboriously collected land from several different points, thanked the earth mother for a prayer and with this, Jannath sent us a messenger, who sincerely gladly accepted our offerings with great happiness and pride.

Earth Mother responded in a glamorous way to our love, allowing a small but imposing mountain to appear temporarily for a few hours on hunting grounds, disappearing hours later. This would indicate the presence and protection of our beloved Earth Mother in the region. A positive reflection on our efforts to deal with everything.

After we celebrated in front of the place of our probabily future shrine of Jannath, it was a pleasant surprise that in our home there grow up a special glistening tree inside our cave, filling with a magnificent fragrance of flowers and a beautiful feeling of life all over the place, making our dwelling blessed and protected.

We now have 3 cats. Wonderful, loving cats. It protects us from rats and insects, as well as bringing positive forces to our dwelling and lives. Zora and Aurora melted with passion before the three cats. As a druid, the presence of these 3 cats represents a lot to us.

I am still dealing with duties to protect our own tribe and family, but I am also striving to protect other tribes, for they do not trust people of the empire for obvious reasons. And I also continue with my hard work of protecting nature, as well as looking for lost people, without tribe, to help return to normal life, after the consequences of 10 years ago.

And above all this, trying to give help to Chester, Raul, Fjord and Keelie to protect Hadrian as much as possible in different moments, even with the difficulties present in the region, with dangerous and unscrupulous people. Or with people who live on pedestals too high to see people's daily lives and respect as equals, or humble enough to understand that everything does not flow from heavens to earth, and that life depends on deserving its bonds of trust and friendship.

Best of all, I am doing this quietly, stepping in and out without asking for favors or rewards. And without using it as a political or religious platform. Just asking to respect and love nature and understand the values of the earth mother Jannath.

Something reasonable, to be expected of a druid.

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2018, 12:33:47 pm »

I recently had the displeasure of finding out that the two winged dicks are spreading lies about me, my faith and my stance as a druid.

When I heard it, I was in profund disgust. They questioned the lack of communication, but how to deal with two fanatics birdman for selune, who live on goldly pedestals, acting arrogantly with others. And when they have a battlefield situation, like the one that happened today in the old battlefield, they hide, going to a safe tower, while wizards, hunters, warriors and all kinds of people deal with the various orcs of orcs trying to invade southbank , attacking people, animals and plants, destroyed everything by walking?

How to respect and have faith in winged idiots, who hide behind knighthood titles? How do they respect themselves if at the time of battle, they hide from the rest of the group, avoiding hand-to-hand combat?

I learned to fight and hunt as a child. I dealt with tribes fleeing the fury of the empire, which killed anyone with tribal blood, or enslaved them for profit. How to respect two pigeons that fall from the sky and act as if they were better than all? Who spread lies, manipulate people with falsehood?

And when someone reacts, hide cowardly behind knighthood titles, in an orde that is losing its brilliance and honor more and more?

Gradually, after several battles with them, they stopped asking for thanks to Selune. They came to be seen as idiots. People complain about them more and more. People see them with suspicion, for they do not feel any kind of affinity or love coming from them. They can be beautiful embellishments for the swords. After all, having a pair of "knight angels" can be a good way to attract new naive recruits. But lacking content, lacking quality. They are to be seen, but do not have the elements needed to be heroic. Or even knights.

I work for hours, doing rituals, raising resources, producing means to do dozens of wands that take hours and days ... to be used in minutes, to protect nature and hadrian. And I only say "Every healing, protection or lightning, respect nature and earth mother jannath". Without asking for rewards. Just go, go quiet, do my work and duty, and leave the place. Nothing else.

Sincerely? I think they're jealous, with envy. They have no means to gain the respect of others. They feel frustrated, because they can not get new believers for Selune. They feel pressured, unable to achieve everything that Snacks and Rod have been for all in life and now, after death.

They stopped showing sincere love for Selune, and they became parrots, talking about Selune without put your heart into it., but unable to attract the hearts and respect of others. And they began to question my posture as a faithful follower of Earth Mother Jannath, questioning my dogmas, the way I work in the battlefield, or my work as druid. No way to way I talk to them, complete strangers, who have done nothing to have my respect.

When I discovered that they were poisoning the swords with their questions, their lies, I felt revolted. What is the reaction to questioning the faith of others? Are you so insecure that you have no faith in yourself? Are they so fragile and incapable of affinity with other people?

I revolted and publicly made my complaint.

In the end, I had a meeting hours later with a high rank of the swords. I explained the problems about them.

But I doubt anything will change.

The person I spoke to said that it is to abandon the hope of recovering rod bodies and Snacks. Honestly, any order of knights that permits this is terribly and dishonorably cowardly. No knight leaves a brother in arms behind. Be him or heralive or dead. This is really a shame to the whole order of the swords of the lady.

In the end, though she had heard it all, it was clear that the two were hiding behind knighthoods. They could never be the same as other people, and we need to treat them as kids, because they can't understand and deal with mortal thing...

They could never apologize in public.

For the swords, the honor of the knighthood seems to come before compassion and humility.

People hide behind their titles, unable to be equal with others.

How did the swords get so arrogant and twisted?? How did they cease to be people's ray of hope, to become such a sad parody with two chickens, unable to be as beloved as Rod and Snacks?

I was warned that they could not apologize in public for all the wrong they did, for all the discomfort, injury as druid and faithful follower of Jannath, for they were knights. And the law and the code of knights obliged me to apologize in public, or I would be arrested and paid for something that I was a victim.

To protect my friends, my family and tribe, I apologized. For the ranks of the swords, for that alone matters to them.

No more humility
There is no love anymore
You have no respect as equals, for equals.
What matters is the appearances, the titles. Not the people.

I feel sorry for Keelie and Raul, having to deal with the two winded dick day after day. Having to deal with them, coming from selune, but unable to be as great as our beloved fallen friends. And in the end, they weave a web of lies and problems, for they are incapable of being great by themselves for own efforts.

And the only way to grow is to reduce the people around them.

Honestly, they are wolves in lamp skin. Sweet words that hide poison. And postures and actions that indicate how much is false and disturbingly dangerous.

I can not trust swords anymore. You can not wait any longer with them. Only Keelie and Raul. Maybe Pariah. But a whole group, being reduced to 2 or 3 people to carry size-load is to make you cry.

I'm sorry Snacks and Rod. The swords became a sad parody, bitterly ridiculous of the greatness it was before. I hope Raul and Keelie can reverse this.

But it is difficult to have faith in the swords now, after seeing which titles and appearances are more important than people.

I'm sorry, my friends.

//This is an icly reaction about the last events. Pleae be mature and understand that this is just icly. Ok? Everything in character, in her journal. And please, no meta game.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:37:10 pm by Shantis »

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2018, 06:15:36 am »

Amazing.

The aasimars are acting a lot, and again and again. To make life of everyone a hell.

It came to my knowledge, that they have made reports, probably slanderous, poisoning the swords with more lies about people, various people. They have made criticisms, pointed defects, acting as spies, rats of wings. Disturbing, poisoning everything and everyone they go through.

I imagine they are devil fanatics in the skin of Aasimars. They seek to find ways, ways and ways to provoke discord with everyone, using any way they find. They are unable to love and respect others. They must at all times have the attention of all. Even if they do not offend people, try to humiliate them, or do anything to get attention.

Surely the nickname "Winged dicks" is well-suited. It came from a heavenly plane of bullshit to torment everything and everyone with their perverse ways of acting and manipulating others, fucking with everything in they way.

This was made clear at the town meeting. They constantly pestered the mayor, constantly taking the focus of the meeting, to talk about something publicly, which would generate fear and panic. They are so arrogant, that instead of having gone earlier to talk to the mayor in particular, they went about it openly. And in the end, after impressing everyone in fear, claim that selune will save them.

Pure hypocrisy.

When a citizen began to cry in the meeting, they were almost theatrical, seeming to feel compassion, but it was Keelie who went to the woman, hugged her and comforted her. The two did not even move, they looked like rare, fragile ceramic statues that any physical contact will break them. Or they would have disgust or fear of physical contact with people who suffer pain...

During the fighting of the shadows in the swamps, I and several people clearly talked abotu how both useless, directly. They are brave in words, but act like runaways in battlefield. Probably the only way to feel better is to talk, because in combat, in the face of dangers, several others do more and better. After the battle in the old battlefield, where several orcs fought and Alun hiding in the tower, their quality became more and more clear as "heroes".

The temporary banishment that took place in Hadrian is just another reflection of the poisoning of relationships that the two aasimars make. They have poisoned so many different people with their web of lies that it is impossible to trust the swords of the lady again anyway. I do not know how much the swords are protecting them. But it is impossible to have confidence in a group that should defend and protect people and good values, ending in such a ... Shameful way. They are constantly defending both after several shameful moments. After causing pains, conflicts, humiliations, lies...

Probably Raul or Keelie will quit soon. In fact, I found her in the square, really sad, almost crying, such is her pain in dealing with swords these days. The Aasimars have made the swords become so filthy, so poisoned that no one in Hadrian trusts them again. Not even other members of swords. I only saw her so sad when Rod died. Now seeing the swords become so bad, that made her cry is in fact humiliating. I feel angry for her, and her pain, at seeing two idiots spotting and destroying all the hard work that Rod, Snacks, Keelie, Pariah and Raul have done.

In a few days, the two Aasimars transformed the Swords, which was a respectable institution, loved by the people, in synonymous with corruption, lies and fanaticism.

Swords of the Lady, as a military group, I was forced to apologize, because the swords totally protect the aasimars. And today, it does not even have how to feel security in its representatives, after all that the aasimars have done publicly. They would probably use my complaint as an excuse to harm me and hunt me, perhaps by sending soldiers to kill me. With the two Aasimars, anything is possible. No one knows how far their network of lies has disturbed and deepened within the swords.

I would very much like to speak to Warden Kyra de'Pont, of the Order of Red Roses regarding this. Of all this.

But I gave up.

Any problem with swords, they come with everything, threaten with crimes, and nothing changes. They force the force. To the point of breaking people. To the point of humiliating his own possible allies, his old friends. Your own faithful knights.

I saw Keelie sad, as dejected as she knew of Rod's death.

Beloved Earth Mother Jannath. Forgive me, but how was Selune so cruel sending two monsters to cause all humiliation and pain in the swords? How did they become so insanely cruel, insensitive, and immorally arrogant?

I wish I was wrong. But being forced to apologize in public maybe sealed any future attempt to communicate with any superior representative of the swords. I do not know if they are really sincere, and have empathy with people. They come in droves, lobbying, perhaps making Hadrian hostage if nothing is done the way they want. Or threaten others for honor, but they do little to honor the honor of others.

Swords have become all that they should not be. This is shameful.

And extremely painful, seeing Keelie suffer in the midst of it all.

Really, the swords made my friend suffer. And this is shameful.

//This is an icly reaction about the last events. Please be mature and understand that this is just icly. Ok? Everything in character, in her journal. And please, no meta game.

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2018, 06:42:12 am »

I have fear.

Lushen asked for my hand in marriage. The best moment of my life, in the middle of a tribe, near patrician plains.

Hours later, he gave me a protective cloack, predicting they would try to kill me. He only said "To protect you from them, my love"

Of all the options, what comes to mind are the Aasimars. everything directs to this.

I just do not know if they'll stab me in the back, like cowards they are...

Or they'll send soldiers of the swords of the lady to kill me... Or my tribe.

Honestly... No one else trusts the swords. And they can kill anyone who does not agree with them, or challenge and hunt them. People are more and more afraid of them and they bullshit, they are avoiding them. They are thinking that they will kill or pressure people until they break them.

This is horrible.

//This is an icly reaction about the last events. Please be mature and understand that this is just icly. Ok? Everything in character, in her journal. And please, no meta game.

//Note: qiip is paranoid in some level. Survived the massacre of 3 different tribes in the empire wars against the tribes 10 years ago.  She has been taught not to trust arcanes, why they hunt Druids. She does not trust dukarrus, thinking they are killers and hunt tribes. And neither in Roschestii, because of slavery. She does not trust groups or people normally or easily. But she is peaceful and avoids problems, and help if she can. But she stands in everlasting yellow alertness most part of her time. Some game situations that are happening may have an enlarged, exaggerated view of everything. however much of the aasimars has solid foundation icly.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:50:00 am by Shantis »

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2018, 07:00:34 pm »

Recently, on an exploration of the Patrician Peaks, I and Lushen encountered a spectral spirit of a warrior from a tribe, pointing east. He led us to a painting on a rock, where he displayed a tribal painting of several warriors with different weapons, according to a portal that opened under the moonlight.

Carefully foreseeing any kind of problem, I called Mayor Chester (representing Hadrian and our friend), Keelie (representing swords and our friend), Fjord (friend of our tribe), Nica (friend and representing arcane guild) to help us to investigate the place and take care of any possible problem.

Reschotti and Dukarrus are not reliable. Reschotti only seeks profits and slaves, and it would be immoral to trust anything to them. Laura and Petrov talk about protecting Hadrian, but in fact they just want a stable source of profits. Dukarrus is extremely rude and racist against the tribes. Skettus is another problem. Its members are devoted exclusively to obtaining artifacts, and I doubt they have any good relations with the tribes or respect individual postures, yielding any space. Because this, I leaved this 3 noble houses out of this.

I also do not trust swords of the lady as an institution or military group, because of past problems. I avoided having the two Aasimars as much as their network of lies and manipulations may have poisoned the swords deeply against me and my tribe... And anyone besides Raul and Keelie are unreliable. At least none of the high-ranking members have given me any solid reason to trust them and have my respect, as druid or leader of tribe. For the safety of my tribe, I am keeping as much distance as possible from swords and aasimars. They and the swords are not sincere or show honorable enough as an institution or individuals to put my good faith and trust.

During the exploration of Patrician Peaks, we visited an ancient, dilapidated, traced portal unrelated to our original purpose. After this, we turn our attentions back to our original goal. At dusk a portal opened into a cave.

During the exploration, we find several horrors hooks and umber hulks along the way, strongly protecting the way. Then we left in a forest, dealing with a large tribe of orcs, where we saved a halfling that had been captured by them. After a long journey, we entered a shadowy part of the forest, where hundreds of undead are walking around, warriors of the empire, maybe fallew warriors of Dukarrus.

After a long period of fighting against waves and more waves of undead army of people of the empire, we find a druid circle in ruins. The remains of the Bun'kar tribe. The place was a sacred place for the tribe and the shamans and druids, who was corrupted by the blood spilled by Empire Netheril and the noble houses, killing innocent people, probably dozens of women and children, besides the warriors and others people of the Bun'kar.

As a result, the spirits of the tribe and those who attacked them were trapped in that forest, in a constant circle of endless warfare and agony. The shaman was slain in this holy ground, and with this his curse would last all eternity, punishing the souls of the vicious monsters of noble houses that serve the empire, in addition to holding the whole tribe in an insatiable desire for revenge for all eternity.

Our group managed to punish the monsters of the empire, exterminating all of them in the form of the undead, to finally, after all this, effect the purification of the place. I, as a druid and leader of a tribe, honored the spirits of all that Bun'kar tribe, freeing them from their cycle of vengeance and pain, making them free to return to earth and reborn as best as their beliefs allow.

After all trouble, I get the Stormstar, a gift of The Storm Lord, well know as Kozah. This object has a lot of history, and is a memento of the Bun'kar tribe, of those who have faith in the forces of nature and must pass their legacy forward to help others. As protector of the legacy and history of the tribes, I have kept this sacred object of tribal faith in safety, and have returned it safely to the tribes, so through it they may have peace and safety again.

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
About tribal weapons
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2018, 08:34:29 pm »
Bow and arrow

When people think of weapons of tribes, the bow and arrow is usually the first thing that springs to mind-- and for good reason. Nearly every tribe used some form of bow and arrow as a weapon for hunting, war, or both. Some tribes even used bows and arrows for fishing. Bows and arrows have been used in the tribes since the Stone Age, so different tribes had plenty of time to perfect this weapon technology. Scholars have learned that the oldest arrowheads discovered in North of the empire are more than 5,000 years old! Some arrowheads made by ancestors were even found together with the bones of extinct animals like giant bison.

Most native bows were made of wood. The most powerful wooden bows were backed with sinew (animal tendons) to make them springier. Some tribes in the Mountain area used composite bows made from animal horn and layers of sinew. These were the most powerful native bows of all, able to shoot an arrow completely through the body of a buffalo. Some tribes originally preferred longbows, while others preferred short bows. Once horses were introduced to the tribes, most native began to favor short bows, since they could be fired from horseback. Most Native bowstrings were made from sinew, although some tribes wove bowstrings from yucca or other plant fibers. Most Native arrows were wooden with arrowheads made of flint or another hard stone, although some tribes used copper or bone arrowheads, and hunting arrows intended for small game like birds often had no arrowhead at all and were simply sharpened shafts of wood. Native arrows were nearly always fletched with feathers to make them fly straighter, whereas the arrows of the north and other snow cultures did not use feather fletching.

Spears

Spears are another kind of tribal weapon that dates back to ancient times. Like bows and arrows, spears were used for both hunting and warfare. Tribal spears were particularly powerful weapons due to the special atlatls (also known as spear-throwers, throwing-sticks, or throwing boards) the barbarians used to launch their spears. An atlatl is a thin wooden shaft with a hollowed-out cup at the end. By balancing the butt of the spear in the cup and then swinging the atlatl, hunters and warriors could increase their leverage to hurl spears much faster and further than they could using their arms alone. Explorers and other early adventurers who fought with tribes reported that spears propelled from atlatls were capable of penetrating chain mail armor. The word "atlatl" comes from the ancient language, but this tool was used by most tribes throughout all over the world.

Most tribal spears were intended as missile weapons. They were made of lightweight wood and stone or bone spearheads, often fletched with feathers as arrows were. But in some tribes, particularly Plains tribes, some warriors used a type of melee spear, frequently referred to as a lance. Originally used as a thrusting weapon in hand-to-hand combat, after the introduction of horses, war lances became a prestigious weapon of mounted warriors, and took on symbolic and ceremonial importance in some tribes as well. In some cultures used harpoons to hunt whales, walruses, and other large marine animals. Harpoons were heavy wooden spears attached to cords made of a strong material like sealskin, so that a successfully speared animal could be reeled in.

War Clubs

Clubs are the simplest form of tribal weapon. Clubs have been used in every human society known to history and can be as simple as a heavy stick of wood. When people talk about "Native tribal clubs," however, they are usually referring specifically to war clubs, a stylized type of wooden or stone club with a heavy rounded head (sometimes also with a single spike.) These mace-like weapons were not used for hunting; they were used for warfare, duels, and executions, or for ceremonial purposes.

The Ball-Headed War Clubs, used by the north and wood tribes of the eastern woodlands, were assymetrical, often curved wooden clubs with the handle and heavy round head both carved from a single piece of wood. Plains War Clubs tended to have wooden shafts with symmetrical stone heads bound to them with rawhide. Northwest Coast War Clubs were wooden clubs shaped like baseball bats, but like arcane scepters, they often held great ceremonial and societal importance, so they were often so ornately carved and inlaid that they were functionally unusable in combat.

Axes, tomahawks and other types

Although stone axes had been used as tools and ritual objects by tribes for millenia, the axe did not become popular as a weapon until after the empire had introduced iron and steel to native tribes. In fact, the word "tomahawk"-- which is now synonymous with tribal-style fighting hatchets-- originally referred to a war club in the tribal language. Once steel became available, however, axes with metal heads eclipsed the more old-fashioned war clubs as the natives melee weapon of choice, and the word "tomahawk" began to be widely used to refer to this style of weapon.

Tomahawks were prized by tribal warriors for their versatility. They could be used in hand-to-hand combat, thrown short distances, or used as a tool. The length of the shaft varied from as short as one foot for the throwing tomahawks of some tribes, to nearly three feet for the two-handed war axes of others. Pipe tomahawks were more ceremonial in nature (using the same shaft of wood as both the handle of a tomahawk, symbolic of war, and the body of a pipe, symbolic of peace.) Many were very ornate, made with unwieldy carved stone heads, and never actually used in battle. Others were more simply built and were completely functional as both a military weapon and a pipe. Spiked tomahawks retained the single spike found on the war clubs of some tribes, so that the tomahawk could still be used as a piercing weapon as well as a hatchet. Tribal war axes had the unusual trait of having hearts, crescents, and geometric patterns cut out of the axe blade (weakening, though lightening, the blade.)

Knifes and daggers

Most early Native American knives were made of sharpened stone, particularly flint, chert, and obsidian. Copper knives were also popular as tribal weapons, particularly in the Northwest tribes. After iron was introduced to all tribes, the tribal metalworkers became adept at producing ornate iron and steel knives, similar in design to their traditional copper knives but harder and stronger. Some tribes made distinctively shaped knives called ulu from ivory, bone, or copper, but an ulu was used as a weapon only as a last resort, more often serving as a versatile tool for preparing food and hides, making crafts, and building homes using wood, rock or even ice.

Swords

Swords were not traditional weapons in most tribes, and never became very popular after empire contact either. More because tribes associate the cruelty and malice of the empire with the weapons used by dukarrus.

Coup Sticks (quarterstaff and wands)

In many tribes, it is considered the traditional pinnacle of bravery to touch or strike an enemy in face-to-face combat without killing him (a tradition which the empire gave the name counting coups. "Coup" means "a blow" in old language.) This belief is still an important one in many tribal cultures. Some Plains tribes had ritualized this tradition so much that they developed special non-lethal weapons known as coup sticks. Coup sticks were generally either a wooden rod with a curved end-- often decorated with quillwork, beads, and feathers-- or a flexible whip-like branch. Because of the cultural significance of counting coup, tribal  coup sticks took on a more ceremonial role as a symbol of leadership and honor. Eagle feather staffs, which are still carried by some chiefs, elders, and veterans as a sort of standard or flag, are considered by some tribes to be a form of coup stick.

Blowguns and Darts

Blowguns (also known as blow tubes or blowpipes) are primarily a small-game weapon used by tribal hunters. Some Southeastern tribes, also used blowguns for bird hunting. An blowgun were almost never used as weapons of war-- the only exceptions were tribes who involved against the empire in the war 10 years ago, they used poisoned darts to weaken or kill opponents (see Poison, below.) Most tribal blowguns are either made from a stiff reed such as rivercane or a thick stick of wood hollowed out to form a tube, and the hunter blows into the tube to propel a dart or clay pellet out the other side.

Unusual tribal weapons

Other, less common weapons have been used occasionally by tribes. The pellet bow (also called sling bow or stone bow) was used as a native weapon for bird hunting by a few tribes. These unusual bows had two strings and were asymmetrical. Clay pellets were placed between the two strings to be fired, and the lopsided design kept a pellet from hitting the frame of the bow.

Special fishing spears were used by the Inuit and some tribes of eastern. These spears were equipped with back-angled side prongs intended to catch and hold a fish speared in deep water, as from a boat in the open ocean or through a hole in the ice. Poisons, especially curare and dart-frog poison, were used extensively by some tribes for both hunting and warfare. Most often the poison was used to coat native weapons such as arrowheads or blowdarts, but there are also many stories of poison being used as a secret murder weapon among these tribes.

Tribal shield and armors

Hide shields were commonly carried by warriors in many tribes. Their size and construction varied from tribe to tribe, but most shields were round in shape, about three feet in diameter, and made of wood covered in layers of hardened rawhide. These shields were primarily designed to deflect arrows and other missile weapons, and were not commonly used in hand-to-hand combat. Warriors in most tribes fought lightly armored, wearing only a leather overshirt and perhaps a breastplate, to improve their agility and showcase their individual bravery. Plains tribal breastplates were usually made of bone or wooden tubes laced together to protect the chest without restricting movement. Some tribes, particularly in the North, used heavier rod armor made of interlocking wooden plates and rods, and in same cases even two-piece carved wooden helmets consisting of a top helm and a lower visor.

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2018, 11:58:47 pm »
Long ago, the only dwelling that broke the endless horizon of the Great Plains was the tipi.  Comfortable, roomy, well-ventilated, and easy to move, it was ideal for the roving life of the Plains dwellers as they followed the buffalo herds up and down the vast grasslands. 

The Rengarth tipi, with its beauty of line and practical design, is a shining example of the structure that was home to the buffalo hunters of the Great Plains.
The Rengarth lived in a large area of the Great Plains stretching from what is now patrician peaks to the swamps.

In the summer, they camped on the open plains, choosing campsites with lots of firewood, water, and grass nearby.

In winter, when the weather was cold and harsh, the Rengarth camped in sheltered places and pitched their tipis where it was convenient, rather than in a particular pattern as they did in the summer.

Some of their favorite campsites were among the tall trees of the Patrician Peaks. Here a camp might extend for miles along a sheltered stream. During long winters in the Patrician Peaks, the tipi proved to be just as ideal for a warm, permanent shelter as it was for a portable summer shelter.

RAISING THE TIPI

Although the Rengarth spent eight months or more of the year on the flat, dry plains where few trees grew, the structure of their tipi required the resources of a different environment — the forest.

They made tipi poles from the finest straight young trees they could find in the Patrician region. They usually gathered these poles in the early spring as they prepared to leave their winter home in the Patrician region and return to the prairies.

The Rengarth peeled the bark from the new poles, then dried and seasoned them in the sun so they would stay straight and strong. Depending on the size of the tipi, they needed anywhere from eight to 20 poles.

The three heaviest poles were used to make a tripod, which was the basis of the distinctive three-pole design of the Rengarth tipi. The tripod design provided a much stronger and rigid foundation than did the four-pole design of many other Plains societies.

The other lighter poles were placed in the forks of the tripod, creating a frame over which the cover could be tautly stretched. A rope was wrapped around the poles where they met at the top, and the end of this rope was usually tied to an anchor peg in the ground directly below.

The cover of the tipi was made of buffalo hides or of other animals. An average cover, to make a tipi 14 to 16 feet in diameter, required 14 to 16 hides. Making the cover was an intricate process involving careful planning and measuring. The Rengarth then neatly sewed together the hides with sinew thread to make one large cover, which included smoke flaps and a door hole and would fit snugly around the framework of the poles.

They placed the cover around the frame by means of a lifting pole.

First they spread the cover, which resembled a large half circle, on the ground. Then they attached the lifting pole to the middle of the cover.

They folded in the sides of the cover to meet the pole.

Then they hoisted up the lifting pole with the cover attached and placed it in position at the back of the tipi frame.

Next they unfolded the cover from the lifting pole and wrapped it around the frame until the two sides met at the front.   Here they pinned the two sides together where they met with lacing pins.   When they were using a newly-made cover, they built a smoky fire inside and closed the tipi tightly. Smoking the cover this way waterproofed it and made the hides retain their softness despite their exposure to all kinds of weather.   This waterproof buffalo hide cover, stretched tautly and neatly over a strong framework of poles, offered no pockets or folds to catch water, wind, or rain.

The sleek, conical shape of the tipi shed wind and water alike, providing a strong, dependable shelter.

The cover was pegged to the ground all the way around the bottom.

A streamer at the peak of the smoke flaps showed which way the wind was blowing.

The true tipi is distinguished from similar conical shelters by the fact that it is not a symmetrical cone. If the tipi were a symmetrical cone, the smoke hole would center around the crossing of the poles at the apex. A smoke hole so placed, in order to effectively allow smoke from the central fire to escape, would have had to be so large that it could not be closed properly in rainy weather.
The Rengarth and other tribes living on the Great Plains solved this problem by "tilting" the cone. The true tipi is always steeper at the back with the smoke hole at the top extending down the long sloping front of the cone.

The crossing of the poles is therefore at the top end of the smoke hole instead of in the middle, so it is possible to close the hole entirely by means of two flaps.

These smoke flaps are supported by moveable outside poles. Together the poles and the smoke flaps are effective in regulating the draft, ventilating the tipi, and carrying off smoke.

Because of the conical shape of the tipi, the small amount of air space at the top meant that less heat was required to warm the lower living space. A tiny fire was enough to keep the average tipi warm and cozy even in very cold weather.

THE INSIDE LINING

If poles and a cover were all that constituted a tipi, it scarcely would have been fit to live in. No matter how tightly the cover was pegged down, the wind would have blown in at the bottom. During a heavy rain the water would have run down the poles and dripped inside. The tipi would have been drafty, wet, cold in winter, and hot in summer.

With one ingenious addition — the interior lining — the Rengarth solved all these problems.

The inside lining, also made from hides, was not tied directly to the poles. Instead, the Rengarth first strung a rope around all poles, taking a turn around each pole, over and under, in such a way that the rope was next to the inside of the tipi instead of next to the cover.

They then hung the lining on this rope, tying it between each pair of poles instead of to the poles, so that water was free to run down the poles behind the lining without hitting it.

They tied the bottom of the lining to the butts of the poles as close to the ground as possible, leaving the lower edge of the lining turned under toward the cover, sealing the interior completely from drafts. 

During rainy weather the smoke flaps were tightly closed and most of the rain rolled off the conical shape of the tipi. Any rain hitting the top of the smooth poles simply rolled down behind the lining to the bottom where it ran under the cover to the outside.

The Rengarth people were careful to make their tipi poles very smooth by sanding them carefully with sandstone rocks.   Smooth poles ensured that any rain that came into the tipi would run straight down the poles to the bottom. If there were any bumps on the poles, the rain might hit them and drip into the tipi. Smooth poles prevented this from happening.   

As the water ran to the bottom of the poles, the interior lining helped keep it from going inside the tipi. When the water reached the bottom of the poles, it drained into a gutter around the tipi. The gutter channeled the water to a runoff trench at lower ground.

The lining was very helpful in clearing the tipi of smoke. Despite the absence of a real chimney, the interior lining created a chimney effect. The warm air rising inside the tipi created an air current and drew cold air from the outside. This cold air came in under the cover and went up behind the lining, creating a perfect draft for the fire and guiding the smoke out the smoke holes.

When the weather was extremely hot, the Rengarth moved the cooking fire outside,  raised both the cover and lining three to four feet and propped them up on forked sticks.

Here the chimney effect again came into play as air flowed continually through the tipi — in at the bottom and out the smoke hole at the top.

The interior lining worked in conjunction with the poles, cover, and smoke flaps to create extremely effective ventilation, insulation, and drainage systems.

In extremely cold weather, the Rengarth added yet another layer of insulation, building a structure of wood and poles around the outside of the tipi. Together with the inside lining, this outside wall prevented most of the heat from escaping.

In extremely hot weather, when strong winds made it impractical to raise the cover and lining, the Rengarth employed an outside wall of wood and poles, made from whatever trees were available. The purpose was to block the wind and the sun's rays to increase insulation, thereby helping to keep out the heat.

This is how the tipi looked from the outside at night with a fire glowing inside.

Notice how the lining stops the firelight from glowing through the lower part of the cover and provides privacy for those inside in a manner similar to your closing the blinds or drawing the curtains to make your home private at night.

The lining also made it difficult for enemies on the outside who might be planning an attack to detect how many occupants lived in the tipi or where they were positioned inside.

THE TIPI DOOR

Some doors covering the entrance to the tipi were decorated.   This one has fancy beading and feathers.

The Rengarth either stretched a door on sticks or put it on a frame and hung it over the doorway.

INSIDE THE TIPI

The floor was a symbol of the earth, the walls a symbol of the sky, and the poles were the links between the earth and man and the spirit world in the sky.

The altar behind the central fire represented Mother Earth. Before a meal, the host gave thanks and made an offering of a choice piece of meat by either placing it in the fire or burying it in the earth on the altar. On special occasions, the Rengarth burned sweet grass, sage, or cedar on the altar as a tribute to the spirits.

Inside, the tipi was furnished with beds made of hides and pillows made of fox skins that were stuffed with grasses. Back rests made of willow poles served a function similar to chairs.

Some of the Rengarth household effects are shown above. Note in particular the storage box (far right, standing up) that the Netheril explorers later called a parfleche. Parfleches are large rawhide cases that the Rengarth used for storing clothing and meat. They were made in pairs, two from each hide with the same design  on both of them.

Below the parfleche is a gathering bag.

To the left of the parfleche is another Sioux storage box, and above that on the wall of the tipi hangs a warrior's shield. To the left of the warrior's shield, at the top and in the middle, hangs a fur bag and below that a pouch.

Everything had its own particular place, so the tipi was  neat and orderly. This was essential for the Rengarth because it made moving easy if they had to break camp and move in a hurry.

The lining was decorative and enhanced the interior of the tipi in addition to being practical. Although the Rengarth used the lining to make the inside of the tipi attractive, they often painted war records and personal experiences on it to keep records of the family history as well.

SYMBOLISM IN Rengarth CULTURE

Symbolism was an important aspect of the Rengarth culture, and the tipi was symbolic, as well as being functional and beautiful.

The Rengarth always pitched their tipis in a circle with the opening, or entrance, on the east side. Each tipi in the circle also faced east, drawing light and warmth from the strength of the morning sun.   Each family occupied a specific location in the circle. This location remained constant; once a family was assigned a position in the circle, it was theirs forever. 

Once a year, at the time of the Sun Dance, which was usually held in early summer, the seven tribes, or divisions, of the Rengarth Nation made a special effort to unite in one place. Then the camp circle was arranged differently.

The tipis were pitched in a huge circle facing inward toward the ceremonial dance lodge, rather than east, so that the families could draw power from this sacred structure.

The beautiful designs that some men painted on the outside of their tipis were often symbolic too. Border designs at the base usually represented the earth and earthly things. The middle area was painted with the symbols of things seen in dreams and visions and with pictures of the exploits of the family's men in battles and hunts. The pictures on the top referred to the sky and the spirit world.

These tipis were called Medicine Tipis, and they belonged to families who had proven themselves worthy in some way. They often took designs from dreams of ancestors. The designs belonged exclusively to the dreamer's family and were passed on from generation to generation along with customs and rituals that were associated with them. The Rengarth believed that proper observance of these customs and rituals protected the owners and brought them good fortune.

The Rengarth were very proud of their tipis and for good reason. The tipi was warm in winter, cool in summer, and could withstand all kinds of weather. It was easy to pitch and easy to take down when it was necessary to move. The tipi had beautiful lines, an excellent design, and was superbly crafted.

With its well-tanned hides and its smooth straight poles, its artistically decorated covers and linings, and its skillfully made household goods, it was the ideal dwelling for the Rengarth as they moved about the plains in search of new places for hunting.

The Rengarth word "tipi" is formed from "ti," meaning to dwell or live, and "pi," meaning "used for." Thus the word means "for living in," and it describes the Sioux tipi perfectly.

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2018, 04:28:24 am »

Xurrios?

This name I always wonder. In the beginning, he was a leader, a warrior from a distant tribe. Then, in time, Dukarrus soldiers, adventurers and mercenaries began to ask for him.

And to kill to find him.

Tribes live by the earth, with the earth. In families, with families. We do not need much. If you are hungry, hunt or fish. If it feels cold, get fur. If you have enemies, take your weapons. Follow the leader of the tribe, respect the shaman or druid. Listen to the elders, do your chores. Train your bow, train your spear.

There was no complication. Act, react, live, follow. If someone died, they buried after a proper funeral. If a monster showed up, we would trap or hunt it. If another tribe appeared, a meeting was held. Friends? Weddings, parties, alliances. Enemies? Battles, duels, disputes.

There were always the people of the empire Netheril. They invaded our lands, took our houses, destroyed our crops. They made us live far from the rivers, for all water and fish were always theirs. All the time. Her ridiculously weak men and women visibly used magic all the time. His soldiers, richly adorned with plates and metal plates, weapons of highly-skilled metal quality hunted us.

Xurrios?

Maybe he did not even exist. Maybe he was just a legend. Just something to motivate the warriors to fight against the human monsters of the empire. They were talking about someone fantastic, who was fighting to the end against Dukarrus's jackals. Or the devilish monsters of Reschotti. From the filthy thieves of skettus, who stole anything that shine mystically, like hungry rats wanting cheese.

Xurrios?

I never saw him. I only heard of him as a child, where other warriors exalted their prowess in combat. Or how the children played for him, killing Reschotti's slavers, where they said they sacrificed children for arch-mage pacts or enslaved people against their will, torturing mystically. How they ridiculed the intelligence of the warriors of Dukarrus, who acted like idiots, but killed everything by the way, without any mercy. And they mentioned arcane guild, which got people to their experiments. "People" to us, "wild tribesman" to them.

Xurrios?

The first time his name began to matter, it was when my nomadic tribe was invaded. They lived far away in the forests, harvested fruits. They hunted small animals. He had half a dozen warriors. Most were women, children, and old people. We live the part, almost on the edge of the empire lands ... And in two hours, they killed almost everybody, with soldiers killing and looting everything by the way.

Xurrios?

Age does not matter. All the children died. They saw friends, relatives, brothers and sisters die. And who still breathed, lost all desire to live, not knowing what to do. Our guardian, an old Druid took us. It was eight o'clock. Six girls, two boys, and an old man. Some of us wanted to learn how to fight to join Xurrios. And these were left and a warrior tribe. That was wiped out weeks later.

Xurrios?

We were just 3. Me, my mentor and another boy. I learned to fight to hunt and survive. The other boy was too weak, running away with us for weeks on end. When we finally found another tribe, much more numerous, we decided to join.

I learned to hunt and with my old mentor, to recite simple spells. I listened to animals, but kept it a secret. I remember that at the time, the only thing left of my original tribe was a beautiful amber necklace with an insect inside. My mother won from my father, who won it. It was a beautiful butterfly trapped in a natural stone. Illiterate, no one knew how to write a butterfly. So "qiip" was butterfly to them. I always had the necklace hidden. It was the last thing I had left.

Days later, the boy died. He did not survive the empire. After so many days without counting, I had grown old enough to get married. My mentor, with no choice, was forced to allow marriage. On a party night without happiness for me, confused, the moon appeared. This time the spirit of the wolves took me, killing whatever I had on the way. And many nights later, I came back among the wolves, thinking and living with them, being guided back by my mentor. And again, the wolves came to that tribe to take their share, denied by the old traditions of the tribes.

finally aware of who I was, and no longer just a reflection of the spirits around me, I had become apprentice to my mentor. We traveled in the woods, heard the wind, talked to the trees. He was blessed by the wolves, guided by the tigers, protected by the bears. The plants always dropped more juicy fruits when we looked at their branches. The earth comforted us. The water guided us. The wind was entertaining us. The fire warmed us. We would spend weeks without a word, but mutual understanding of my mentor and myself was incredible. He was old, older than the tallest oak I've ever seen. He wore rags, but it was always so convincing and persuasive that it made the soldiers of the empire give us food, drink, and coins that we passed with only his smile and some clever words.

Xurrios?

Finally, we find our last and third tribe that we would live together. He had agreed to become the spiritual guide of the tribe, explaining about the values of the earth mother jannath, how we should live in harmony with plants and animals. And so we would all get the best hunting, the best fruit, while protecting nature from the evils of the empire. A few moons later, the empire struck again. Balls of fire burning tents, killing children and old men inside, no chance to escape. Soldiers advancing, trampling on people who dared to stand in the way, smashing in their metal boots or bursting their faces with their broad iron shields. The soldiers of Dukarrus destroyed everything, they stole everything like wild animals.

I remember my mentor invoking a swarm of insects. A cloud so black and so thick it made the day turn night. Dukarrus's soldiers and noble houses were covered by insects, which devoured their skin and flesh, so that only the metal of the armor was left. Lichens sprang from the ground, with thorns, injuring the legs of all, falling as they died devoured by the insects. Pillars of fire ascended into the heavens, turning horses and soldiers and all that was in the way into ashes.

It was the last thing I remember from my mentor. I fled, losing my mother's amulet, carrying the old staff of my mentor in the midst of the confusion. He allowed me to survive, fishing and defending myself for a long time. Weeks later, returning to the place I found the bodies of our last tribe, dead. People who were beheaded, their hearts plucked, their limbs carefully cut. My mentor, I could only find the head, hidden in a hole in the middle of the remains of the battle. Only the ashes of all rest in tree roots, which slowly try to reach the clouds, in a safe place, far from the empire.

Xurrios?

Rumors said he died. I do not know. I can only remember how the empire killed the people, how the noble houses bore the dead. I remember how they captured and enslaved people. I followed my life in nature years later... Sometimes visiting some farm, to help someone in exchange for some information and meals.

During the ten years that passed after the defeat of Xurrios, all the survivors live in fear, traveling without stopping. Or with hatred, killing and robbing the empire without forgiveness. During these years traveling with nature, I found souls lost in living bodies, without destiny, goal or hope. I, trying to protect them, got a lot of cost to form my own tribe. My own family.

The empire speaks of the tribes of barbarians and savages, but maintains monsters like Reschotti, who use innocents in arenas, or like slaves. They say that we are uneducated, but we see Arcane guild day after day making the life of pessaos a hell for pure petty power. We hear how weak we are, but we always hear how skettus would break tombs and tombs to steal objects that should be forgotten. We have always heard of the courage of dukarrus, but as animals, they display trophies of their victories before all, making no effort to hide all the death, cruelty, and filth they have done during the war. They have always said that the Sword of the Lady is an honorable group. But I wonder how? They defend an empire of corrupt and cruel arcana. They serve as a defense to noble houses, which enslave and do all manner of cruelty openly. How do they have honor?

For this, even trying to live in peace, I avoid them. There is no honor in serving an empire that destroys nature by power. There is no pride in having slaves as fun and workforce. There is no guts, if your soldiers act like demons, plundering everything to expose later. There is no wisdom, to have thieves of the grave as nobles.

Unfortunately, this is the Netheril empire. A world where death comes to all. A world where evil reigns. A world where devils dance with nobles as lovers tonight to betray again tomorrow. A world where tomb thieves are respected like "nobles". A world where those who should serve the gods with honor, are the enforcer of petty, filthy and corrupt noble people. So corrupt that they protect you all the time. And for this, all "Goodness, freedom and prosperity" is conquered by the sword, under the blood of innocents.

Therefore, although there are good people, the empire is dirty like shit. The nobles, the leaders, the protectors, too. And it is not possible to rely on cowards and murderous monsters.

Just survive. And live. No one wants peace, or knows that he wants peace. For the death of today guarantees the prestige of tomorrow, in your filthy noble house, or filthy group of which it prides itself. Good night, Netheril. You are the nightmare that will only wake up with the cry of your own death.

And no one and nobody wants to turn the nightmare into a dream. Why do not anyone among you, men of the empire, believe it, or strive for it.

Good night, Netheril.

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
Magical Herbs I
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2018, 12:45:13 am »
Magical Herbs

Over the centuries the healing properties of plants and herbs has not changed. What was a healing plant or herb five thousand years ago is still a healing plant or herb. Because great confidence was placed in them, druids and physicians of the ancient world were expected to know their herbs. Plants gave healing powers to those who studied them, worked with them, and respected them. In many lands and in many times, healers spent a good part of their lives in the field and forest gathering green medicines. They remembered and scribed what they learned passing it on.

Today we have the opportunity to benefit from the accumulated herbal wisdom of the ages. This advantage allows us to peer back through history, harvesting for our own benefit only those herbs that have stood the test of time. But even the herbal uses that didn't pan out are fascinating. While the story of healing herbs has it's comic episodes, it is also a dramatic story of human sacrifice, complete with medical hero's, men and women whose work deserves to be recognized. Much of this credit in my opinion should go the the druids and witchs of the past because they are the ones who essentially began the work of learning and understanding herbs and their benefits. However when the male physician arrived on the scene, they essentially benefited from the inquisitions and burnings claiming the right to and credit for this knowledge. The topic of how modern drug companies have distorted this knowledge for profit is an area I probably shouldn't delve into, but what the heck, the truth generally only hurts if it ought to...

A final word before you continue into the following text. Many of the herbs and plants listed here offer a proven track record of alleviating symptoms and helping with different conditions, but there are risks involved in using many of them without adequate knowledge. Without a sound understanding of their properties and potential effects, one would be foolish to blindly use them. Therefore it is recommended that you carefully research those of interest, seek the guidance of a health care professional who is competent in herbal knowledge and use common sense as you proceed.

Herb Propagation

GROWING FROM SEED:

First, start herb seeds 6-8 weeks before they are to go in the garden.

Choose clean, small, 2-4 in. deep containers with drainage holes in the bottom. .. Here's a chance to use up all those old mugs or small jars you've been saving... just poke some holes in them, but you'll have to transplant sooner if the roots get too crowded. Use a sterilized potting soil, or sterilize your own soil by sifting and placing a layer of dirt on a shallow baking pan. Heat your oven to about 350 degrees, then remove.. Place the dirt filled tray in the oven... and let it "steep" until the oven is cool...

Next, fill your containers about 3/4 full of soil and poke a shallow hole in the dirt. you can use a small beverage straw, then put a couple seeds in each hole. Cover lightly with additional soil and water thoroughly. Now, cover your container with some cloth.. Again poking a few small holes to allow air circulation. Make sure the cloth does not touch the soil. Place the container in a warm sunny window or other place... At this point, it is the heat that matters most, not the sunlight. Watch for the moisture beads on the container... and make sure that the soil is kept moist.

When the seeds have sprouted, remove the plastic and place the containers in a spot with full sun. Be sure to water the seedlings frequently. At this point, if your containers are small, the plants should be transplanted to a four inch pot so that their roots can spread. After all threat of frost has passed, you can harden off the plants by placing them outside in a sunny, but protected area during the sunlight hours, bringing them back in at night for about a week... Then you can safely transplant them to the garden, or a larger container which can be left out overnight.

The most common mistake when starting seeds, is controlling the moisture of the soil. An easy, and economical way of dealing with this is to take two containers. A large and small ceramic jar works nicely. Cut a whole in the lid of the larger container, big enough to hold the smaller container suspended within the larger container about an inch and a half. .. Poke a hole, the size of a large drinking straw in the bottom of the smaller container Cut an 8 in length of wick materia, placing it inside and around the bottom of the small conainer with one end pushed thru the hole so that at least 2 inches extend into the larger container. Put about an inch of water in the large container, then insert the smaller container into the opening. Make sure the wick is in the water... then plant your seeds as instructed above.

Herbs that are most likely to be successfully started from seed are:

Annuals:
    Anise, Basil, Borage, Calendula, Chamomile, Chervil, Coriander, Cumin, Dill, Garlic, Mustard, Nasturtium, Summer Savory, Sweet Marjoram

Biennials:
    Angelica, Caraway, Parsley, Wild Celery

Perennials:
    Catnip, Chamomile, Chives, Fennel, Feverfew, Hyssop, Lovage, Marjoram, Marshmallow, Onion, Oregano, Rue, Sage, Salad Burnet, Sorrel, Thyme, Winter Savory, Wormwood.

Herbal First Aid Kit

These are great items to stock up a first aid kit. Please remember that when dealing with potentially serious injuries, first aid is a stop gap measure until adequate medical attention can be found! Follow up on any serious injuries with a qualified care!

Aloe
    Break off an aloe leaf and scrape the gel to soothe minor burns, scalds, and sunburns. Aloe has tissue regenerative properties and will help heal all wounds.

Arnica
    Arnica cream or oil can be used on bruises or sprains where the skin is not broken. Caution should be used with Arnica however since it can become toxic in high doses.

Calendula Cream
    Homemade or storebought, this is antiseptic and antifungal. If you make it, try adding comfrey to the cream; it will help speed the healing process.

Clove Oil
    Clove oil is an excellent antiseptic for cuts and is also useful for treating toothaches. It should be cut with a carrier oil when used on the skin since severe irritation can occur.

Compresses
    Keep squares of gauze or cheesecloth on hand to make compresses. Use comfrey, witch hazel, or arnica for sprains; St. John's Wort for deep cuts; comfrey or witch hazel for burns.

Crystallized Ginger
    Chew for motion sickness or morning sickness.

Eucalyptus Oil
    This is a good inhalant for colds, coughs, and respiratory infections.

Rescue Remedy
    This combination of 5 of the Bach Flower Remedies is effective for shocks and emotional upsets, especially in children.

St. John's Wort Infused Oil
    Excellent for minor burns and sunburn.

Slippery Elm
    Slippery elm powder is used to make poultices for drawing out splinters and bringing boils to a head.

Tea Tree Oil
    Antiseptic and antifungal. Useful for cleansing wounds.

Witch Hazel Extract
    Use it to treat minor burns, sunburn, and insect bites. Apply to nasal passages to stop nosebleeds. Wash cuts with it to help cleanse them.

Glossary of Medical Terms

Knowing these terms will be helpful if you are working with the healing properties of plants in  herbal medicne or herbal magic.  Wiccans and Witches often use herbs in their healing remedies, tinctures and ointments.

adaptogen
    Increases the body's ability to adapt to internal or external stress.

alterative
    Gradually alters or changes a condition

analgesic
    Relieves pain and discomfort

anodyne
    A medicine that relieves pain.

antihelminic
    Expels worms. Also called vermifuge.

antibiotic
    Kills or inhibits the growth of bacteria and other microorganisms.

antidote
    Counteracts the action af another substance; usually refers to poisons.

antipyretic
    Reduces or prevents a fever

antiseptic
    Destroys bacteria; usually applied externally

antispasmodic
    Relieves or prevents muscle spasms or cramps

astringent
    Causes dehydration and the tightening and shrinking of tissues. Used to stop bleeding and close pores.

bitter tonic
    Has a bitter taste that stimulates the flow of gastric juices

calmative
    Has a calming effect; usually not as strong as a sedative

carminative
    Dispels or prevents gas

catarrh
    Inflammation of the mucous membranes; especially those of the respiratory system. May be accompanied by gastric upsets or diarrhea.

cathartic
    Causes evacuation of the bowels

cholagogue
    Promotes the flow of bile

demulcent
    Oily or mucilaginous substance that soothes and moistens irritated tissues

diaphoretic
    Promotes sweating

diuretic
    Also called "water pills;" promotes the flow of urine

emetic
    induces vomiting

emmenagogue
    Promotes menstruation

emolient
    Softens and soothes the skin

expectorant
    Expels phlegm by inducing coughing, sneezing, or spitting

febrifuge
    Dissipates fever

flatulence
    Gas in the stomach or bowels

hemostatic
    Stops internal bleeding

hepatic
    Affecting the liver

laxative
    A gentle cathartic. A laxative may act by stimulating the motion of the bowel, moistening the colon, increasing bile secretion, or relieving cramps.

nervine
    calms nervousness, tension, and excitement

pectoral
    Relieves ailments of the chest and lungs

physic
    A medicinal preparation

purgative
    A strong cathartic

rheumatism
    Stiffness of joints and muscles

rubefacient
    Increases blood circulation to the area to which it is applied

sedative
    Reduces nervous tension; stronger than a calmative

sialogogue
    Increases the flow of saliva

simple
    A herb used solo in treatment of a medical condition

soporific
    Induces sleep

stimulant
    Increases or quickens actions of the body

styptic
    Stops external bleeding; usually an astringent

sudorific
    Promotes sweating

tonic
    Strengthens or invigorates the systems

vermifuge
    Destroys or expels worms

vesicant
    Causes blisters

vulnerary
    Used to treat wounds

Definitions Used in Making Herbal Preparations

Below is a list of helpful definations commonly used when making herbal prebarations.

Compress
    Soak a soft cloth in a hot infusion, decoction, or 5-20 ml tincture in 500 ml hot water. Squeeze out excess water and hold pad against affected area.

Cream
    A mixture of fats and water that blends with the skin to strengthen and smooth it. Use 30 g lanolin, 15 oz beeswax, 100 g. vegetable or fruit oil, and 30 ml herb water. Melt the lanolin and beeswax in a double boiler, gently stirring in the oil. Remove from heat and whisk in the herb water. Keep stirring as it cools. Store in wide mouth jars.

Decoction
    Made by simmering larger pieces of the herb, such as bark, roots, or twigs. Use 30 g. dried or 60 g. fresh herb to 750 ml water; simmer until the water is reduced to 500 ml. Drink 1/2 cup three times a day.

Infused oils
    --Hot infusion: 250 g. dried or 500 g. fresh herb to 750 ml Olive or Vegetable Oil. Heat gently in a double boiler for 3 hours. Strain through cheesecloth into dark bottles.

--Cold infusion: Pack a large jar with the herb. Cover it with cold-pressed oil and put the lid on. Let stand in a sunny window sill for 2-3 weeks. Squeeze the oil through a jelly bag and repeat the process. Store in dark glass bottles.

Infusion
    A tea made by pouring boiled (not actively boiling) water over fresh or dried herbs. Use approximately 30 g. dried or 75 g. fresh herbs to 500 ml water. Drink 1/2 cup three times a day.

Macerate
    To make, pour 500ml of cold water over 25g of herb and leave to stand overnight. Then strain and use as you would a decoction.

Massage Oils
    Use 5 drops essential oil to 20 ml carrier oil. Sweet almond, jojoba, avocado or grapeseed make good carrier oils. You can also used infused oils.

Ointment
    A mixture of oils and fats that forms a protective layer over the skin. Melt 500 g. petroleum jelly or soft paraffin wax in a double boiler. Add 60 g. dried herb and simmer gently for 2 hours. Strain through a jelly bag and pour into jars while still hot.

Plaster
    Wrap the chopped or boiled herbs, or a paste made from them, in cheesecloth or muslin before applying to the affected area. This is good for herbs that might irritate the skin, such as mustard.

Poultice
    Boil herbs in a little water for a hot poultice, or bruise or chop slightly for a cold one. Smooth a little oil on the skin to keep the herbs from sticking, apply the herb, and wrap with muslin or gauze strips.

Steam Inhalants
    Place a few tablespoons of the dried herb in a bowl and pour boiling water over them. Drape a towel over your head and breathe in the steam.

Syrup
    An infusion or decoction preserved by adding sugar or honey. Use 500 ml infusion to 500 g sugar or honey; heat gently until the sweetener has dissolved. Store in dark glass bottles with cork tops; screw top bottles may explode if the mixture ferments.

Tincture
    Steep the fresh or dried herb in a 25% mixture of alcohol and water. Do not use methyl, grain, or rubbing alcohol as they are toxic. Vodka is ideal; rum has the added benefit of covering unpleasant flavors. Use 200 g. dried or 600 g. fresh herb to 1 liter alcohol and water. Place in a sealed jar in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks, shaking occasionally. Strain the liquid through cheesecloth and store in a dark glass bottle. Take 5 ml three times a day, diluted in a little fruit juice or water.

Tonic Wine
    Pour 2 liters good quality wine, preferably red, over 500 g. dried herb, making sure all the herb is covered by the wine. Cover and leave for 2 weeks. Strain and take in 1/3 cup doses.

Wash
    A tea or infusion meant only for external use. A mild form of a wash would be 1/4 ounce of herb to one pint of boiling water, steeped until lukewarm, then applied.

Herbal Vinegars

Specialty vinegars are becoming ever more popular throughout the world. They are sought after for their culinary uses and as medicinal aids. For those lucky enough to have their own herbs available, here is a simple recipe and method for making your own herb vinegars.

1 gallon jug of white vinegar
    assorted fresh herbs
    2 Glass Jugs .. 1 gallon size
    Plastic wrap
    Sunshine
    Patience

A good assortment of herbs for vinegar, are Oregano, Chives, Garlic, Rosemary, Thyme, Tarragon, and Basil.

Harvest your fresh herbs early in the morning before the sun warms them too much. Wash the herbs thoroughly and pat dry with paper towels. Do not remove the leaves from the stalks, but do use tender, not woody, stalks.

While the herbs are drying .. Wash and sterilize the glass jugs Fill the jugs with the fresh herbs of your choice .. you might try combining Oregano, garlic and chives ... or Tarragon, with a few slices of lemon, ... Rosemary & Thyme make a nice vinegar, and Basil, all by itself is a treat.

Fill the jug to the top with the white vinegar, and cover the jug opening with a piece of plastic wrap, before putting the lid on tightly.

Invert the Jug and place it outside where it will get full sun ... then forget about it for the next 4 to 6 weeks ... you can leave the jugs out longer if you don't have time to decant them.

When you are ready to decant the herbal vinegar .. wash and sterilize smaller containers... some people use canning jars, some use recycled liquor bottles, and some use attractive bottles found at flea markets or yard sales.

Strain the herbal vinegar twice through cheesecloth .. if it still seems a bit cloudy, strain again .. it couldn't hurt (smile). Then simply pour the herbal vinegar into the prepared containers, cap and label them. That's all there is to it. They are ready to use, or give as gifts. Have fun experimenting with different flavors. I like this "Sun Tea" type of brewing the vinegars because the herbal oils slowly leech into the vinegar and do not separate. For those watching their diets, these vinegars can be used on salads with no need to add oil.

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
List of Herbs A-G
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2018, 01:14:12 am »
List of herbs A-G

ALOE

Magical attributes: Beauty, protection, success, peace.

Uses: Aloe has always been known for its healing qualities. Great for treating wounds and maintaining healthy skin. It may be applied right from the plant or in gel form for burns, sunburns, and can relieve poison ivy rash and helps to combat a variety of bacteria that commonly cause infections in skin wounds. It is also an excellent additive for soaps and creams as a conditioner.

After using gel from a leaf the opened leaf will seal itself so you can store it in a sealed in a bag bag in the refrigerator for future uses.

ANGELICA

Magical attributes: Protection, Exorcism.

Uses: Grow in the garden as a protection. Carry the root with you as an amulet. Burn the dried leaves in exorcism rituals.

ANISE

Magical attributes: Protection, purification, awareness, joy.

Uses: For treating coughs, bronchitis and a stuffy nose, it loosens bronchial congestion, making it easier to cough it up and expel it. A good breath freshener in the morning, and if kept by the bed it will prevent bad dreams. Also a digestive aid and can relieve an upset stomach and flatulence when taken as a tea, and a treatment for colic. Also suggested that anise may be beneficial to women because certain chemicals in the plant are chemical cousins to the female hormone estrogen. Though it is mild, anise may help to relieve the discomfort of menopause. In traditional folk medicine it has been used to promote milk production in nursing mothers. Its recommended dosage would be 1 teaspoonful of seeds for every cup of boiling water, steep 10-20 minutes and strain, drink 3 cups a day for maximum effect. A good general cleansing bath is made with a handful of anise seeds and a few bay leaves. A pillow of anise keeps away nightmares. Also a good sedative.

APPLE

Magical attributes: Love spells, good luck.

ASH

Magical attributes: A tree with protective qualities, it is used to make brooms for purification and wands for healing. The leaves placed beneath a pillow induce psychic dreams. The leaves bring luck and good fortune when carried in a pocket of bag worn around the neck.

BALM of GILEAD

Magical attributes: The buds are carried to ease a broken heart and can be added to love and protection charms and spells.

BASIL

Magical attributes: Protection, love, wealth (if carried in your wallet), healing relationships, ensuring faithfulness in a mate, courage, fertility, exorcism.

Uses: It is good as a tea for calming the nerves, settling the stomach, and easing cramps and good for the bladder. In tincture form, also makes a good hair rinse for brunettes. An ingredient of the Purification bath sachet. Add to love sachets and incenses.

BAY LAUREL

Magical attributes: wisdom, protection, psychic powers, banishes negative energy.

Uses: DO NOT TAKE INTERNALLY-use as a poultice on chest for bronchitis and chest colds.

BAY LEAVES

Magical attributes: Psychic visions and dreams, repels negativity and evil.

BENZOIN

Magical attributes: Used widely in purification incenses. Tincture of benzoin preserves oils and preparations.

BETONY

Magical attributes: Add to incenses of protection and purification. Sleep on a pillow stuffed with betony to prevent nightmares.

CARAWAY

Magical attributes: Protection, Passion

Uses: Add to love sachets and charms to attract a lover in the more physical aspect. Also a mild stimulant for digestion.

CARNATION

Magical attributes: Worn by witches for protection during the "Burning Times", adds energy and power when used during a ritual as an incense.

CATNIP

Magical attributes: Cat magic, familiars, joy, friendship, love.

Uses: Its flowers and leaves have often been used to treat colds and insomnia. It lowers fevers, dries up post nasal drip, gets rid of bad headaches and relieves sore aching bones due to colds and flus, when taken in tea form, 2-3 times daily. As incense it may be used to consecrate magical tools.

CAMOMILE

Magical attributes: Good as a meditation incense, for centering, peace, sprinkle in your home for protection, healing, money.

Uses: Is an excellent herb both internally and externally for calming. Great for digestion, fevers, burns, is anti-inflammatory for wounds, acts as a sedative for nervous disorders, and relieves stomachaches and diarrhea in infants and small children (always using in diluted form). In tea form, made of 2 teaspoons of the herb steeped for 5 minutes in a cup of boiling water is a gentle sleep inducer. Chamomile also makes an excellent insect repellent, simply splash some tea on face arms and feet. It is also a good hair rinse for blondes. Plant chamomile in your garden to be the guardian of the land, and you will have certain success.

CARAWAY

Magical attributes: Used in love charms to attract a lover.

Uses: Culinary herb.

CELANDINE

Magical attributes: Helps the wearer escape unfair imprisonment and entrapment, cures depression.

CINNAMON

Magical attributes: Spiritual quests, augmenting power, love, success, psychic work, healing, cleansing. Used in incenses for healing, clairvoyance, high spiritual vibrations. Reputed to be a male aphrodisiac. Use in prosperity charms.

Uses: It is recommended as a skin astringent and digestive aid in tea form. Ground, or taken with milk, good balance after a heavy meal or dessert. Also used for diarrhea, dysentery or general indigestion. It is an excellent aromatic and makes a good anointing oil for any magical working.

CLOVER

Magical attributes: Associated with the Triple Goddess. Use in rituals for beauty, youth, healing injuries, curing madness. A Four-leaved clover enables one to see fairies, and as a general good-luck charm.

CLOVE

Magical attributes: Wear in an amulet or charm to dispel negativity and bind those who speak ill of you. Cloves strung on a red thread can be worn as a protective charm. Money matters, visions, cleansing and purification.

Uses: It has a mild antiseptic quality for toothaches (chew), or in tea form it is an expectorant for colds, also good foe nausea or vomiting. It is an antibacterial, antiseptic, and analgesic, which means it helps prevent disease and infection.

COMFREY

Magical attributes: Safe travel spells, money, healing, honoring the Crone aspect of the Goddess.

Uses: Has been known to slow bleeding, aid colds, ease burns. As a poultice or a tea, comfrey may be applied to bites, sores, rashes, broken bones, and cuts. Also a good ingredient for lotions to soothe sunburn.

CORIANDER

Magical attributes: Protection of home and serenity, peace, good in ritual drinks, incenses for longevity and love spells.

Uses: If added to wine, it makes a good love potion for 2 consenting parties. To use in this fashion, grind 7 grains of coriander and mix into a wine and drink. Also used in love sachets and charms.

COWSLIP

Magical uses: Luck in love, a woman who washes her face with milk infused with cowslip will draw her beloved closer to her. Induces contact with departed loved ones during dreams.

CYPRESS

Magical uses: Connected to death in all of its aspects. The smoke of Cypress can be used to consecrate ritual objects.

DAISY

Magical uses: Decorate the house with daisies at Midsummer's Eve to bring happiness to the home and to obtain the blessings of faeries. Daisies are also worn at Midsummer for luck and blessings. In the old times, young maidens would weave and wear daisy chains in their hair to attract their beloved.

DANDELION

Magical attributes: Divination, welcoming, messages.

Uses: The ground root can act as a coffee substitute, and the flowers make a lovely wine. A superb cleansing tonic and the milky juice is a diuretic, a tonic and a relief for common stomach problems. Use a handful of flower tops to 1 pint of boiling water, steep 10 minutes and strain. Drink this several times a day. Use the milky latex from the stem, rub on a wart several times daily and soon it’s gone. Also good for night blindness.

DILL

Magical attributes: Useful in love charms. May also be hung in children’s rooms to protect them from bad dreams.

Uses: A culinary herb.

DRAGONS BLOOD

Magical uses: Widely used in love, protection and purification spells. Keep a piece under the bed to cure impotency. Carried for good luck. May be dissolved in the bath for strong purification.

ELECAMPANE

Magical uses: Useful in raising spirits and to aid in meditation.

ELDER

Magical uses: Branches are widely used for wands. One must always be cautious to ask permission from the Elder Dryad before cutting or harvesting Elder limbs or leaves and berries to avoid very bad luck. It is also considered very bad luck to burn Elder wood. The leaves hung around the doors and windows will ward off evil.

EUCALYPTUS

Magical uses: Used in healing rituals, charms and amulets. Place the leaves around a blue candle and burn for healing energies. Green pods worn around the neck ease the discomfort of colds, sore throats and congestion.

EYEBRIGHT

Magical uses: Anoint eyelids with the infusion daily to induce clairvoyant visions and psychic dreams.

FENNEL

Magical attributes: Purification, protection, healing, money.

Uses: Sometimes employed as an appetite suppressant and digestive aid. Used in tea form to expel mucus. Chew the seeds slowly for really bad breath, or use the fluid extract to rub on gums.

FERN

Magical uses: The Fern is an extremely powerful protective plant. Grow them in and around the house for protection from evil and negativity.

FRANKINCENSE

Magical uses: A very powerful aid to meditation. Use to purify ritual spaces and invoke a spiritual frame of mind.

GARDENIA

Magical uses: Used to attract true love.

GARLIC

Magical attributes: Protection, healing, good weather, courage, exorcism.

Uses: Lowers tension, eases colds, and improves circulation. Garlic vinegar can be used to disinfect wounds and soothe rheumatic pain and any common pain (made from one liter of vinegar and ten cloves of crushed garlic steeped for at least 10 days). Shrinks warts, relieves pain from teeth and earaches. Good for high and low blood pressure and removing parasites and infections. To ease the pain of aching joints, a toothache or an earache, place a crushed raw bulb of garlic on a piece of gauze and place over the area of pain. For joints, try using garlic paste.

GINGER

Magical attributes: Power, success, love, money matters.

Uses: Acts as an aid to ingestion or colds (tea form). Also in tea form, good for cramps, to stimulate the digestive organs, migraines and nausea, external stiffness. Can be added to the bath as a way to ease pain and increase circulation, but only use a few sprinkles, not too much, like cayenne, ginger quickly brings the blood to the surface of the skin. For pain you can also soak cloths in ginger tea and apply them directly to the painful areas. Add in cooking to detoxify meat, especially chicken. A good healing tea is made from a pinch of peppermint, a pinch of ginger and either a pinch of clove powder or 2 bruised cloves, add 1 cup of hot water and steep.

GINSENG

Magical attributes: Love, wishes, beauty, desire.

Uses: Stimulant, tonic, and agent for prolonged life. Also a mild pain killer, and improves blood circulation. Reported to successfully treat asthma, bronchitis, cancer, flatulence, diabetes, weakness, fever, coughs and heartburn, and a mild stimulant. In tea form it helps to relieve stress and moderate heart disease.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 01:18:41 am by Shantis »

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
List of herbs H-Y
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2018, 05:55:42 am »
List of herbs H-Y

*G/P/E: Gender/Planet/Element

HAWTHORN

Magical uses: Used in protective sachets and amulets against evil influences. Promotes happiness in marriage or a relationship. It is bad luck to cut down a hawthorn. Burn the berries as incense when you need energy and change in life.

HAZEL

Magical uses: Hazel wood is excellent for an all-purpose wand. Forked branches can be used for divining. Sprigs of Hazel can be carried for good luck; they are especially powerful if bound together by red and gold thread.

HENBANE

Magical uses: Carried to attract the love of a woman. Was once used as an ingredient in a Witches flying ointment. Henbane is extremely poisonous and the upmost caution is urged.

HIGH JOHN the CONQUEROR ROOT

Magical uses: Use this as an additive to candle anointing oils, and charms to increase their strength.

HOLLY

Magical uses: Planted around the home for protection against evil. The leaves and berries can be carried by a man to heighten his masculinity, virility and to attract a lover.

HONEYSUCKLE

Magical uses: Used widely in prosperity spells and love charms.

HOPS

Magical uses: Used in healing incenses and charms. A mild sedative. Hops placed in a pillow will help with sleep.

HYSSOP

Magical uses: Use in purification baths, protective and banishing spells. Hyssop was widely used during all time for purification, cleansing and consecration rituals. If burnt as incense or thrown into a fire it is said one may draw upon magical dragon energy.

IVY

Magical uses: Protects the houses it grows around and over from evil and harm. In the old traditions, Ivy and Holly were given to newlyweds as good-luck charms.

JASMINE

Magical uses: Used in love spells, charms and sachets. Women have used Jasmine from the earliest recorded history because of its seductive effects on men.

JUNIPER

G/P/E: Masculine, Sun, Fire.

Magical uses: Protection against accidents, harm and theft. The berries are used to attract lovers once dried and worn as a charm.

LAVENDER

Magical attributes: Sleep, long life, peace, wishes, protection, love, purification, visions, attracting men, clarity of thought.

Uses: Has strong antiseptic qualities. Mild infusions (3 tablespoons to 6 cups of water) make a good sedative, headache treatment, and digestive aid. Used in oil or tincture form to heal cuts, burns or scalds, bites. This also acts as a tonic and may be used for colds, chills, and the flu. Lavender is an excellent aromatic, usually mixing well with other floral scents. An ingredient in the Purification bath sachet, also used in purification incenses. It is thrown onto the Midsummer fires by Witches as a sacrifice to the ancient gods. Lavender is a frequent addition to healing sachets, especially bath mixtures, and is added to incense to cause sleep. Lavender is a great antibiotic, antidepressant, sedative and detoxify. Stimulates the immune system.

LEMON

Magical attributes: Purification, love, blessings.

Uses: Sweetens breath. Antiseptic, antibacterial and hypotensive. For chills and sore throat, the juice of a lemon mixed in a glass of honey and warm water, taken 3 times daily should help. For nose bleeds, apply a small piece of cotton, soaked in lemon juice. In oil form it is used for treating warts, insect bites, tension headaches, eliminates cellulite, and is an anti-wrinkle tonic. Stimulates the digestive system. Also makes a good skin cleanser, hair rinse for blondes, and cleaning agent for brass and silver.

LEMON BALM

Magical uses: Love potions, aphrodisiacs, fertility anti-depressant. Drink as an infusion to soothe emotional pains after a relationship ends.

LEMON VERBENA

Magical uses: Love charms, youth, beauty and attractiveness to the opposite sex. Wear around your neck or place under a pillow to prevent dreams.

LILAC

Magical attributes: Protection, warding off evil or banishing rituals, beauty, love, harmony and balance.

LINDEN

Magical uses: Associated with conjugal love or attraction and longevity.

LOVAGE

Magical uses: Add the dried and powdered root to cleansing and purification baths to release negativity. Carry to attract love and the attention of the opposite sex.

MANDRAKE

Magical uses: A protective charm for the home. The root was believed to increase fertility in women and impotency in men when carried. To charge a mandrake root with your personal energy, sleep with it for three nights prior to the full moon. The root can be carried to increase courage.

MARIGOLD

Magical attributes: Prophesy, legal matters, the psychic, seeing magical creatures, love, clairvoyance, dreams, business or legal affairs and renewing personal energy.

Uses: For internal use the flowers are prepared by infusion and recommended for the flu, fever, rheumatism, jaundice, and painful menstruation. Externally, buds are made into compresses for the treatment of burns. Marigold petal ointment can help chapped hands and varicose veins, also works wonders with eczema and inflammation. To ease inflammation, dip a compress into a strong marigold tea combined with an equal part of apple cider vinegar. Sprains can also be helped with marigold petals steeped in vinegar, or make a lotion with milk. Simmer 12 heads in 2 cups milk, steep, strain and apply. Also use as an antiseptic in first aid. Place the flower beneath the head at night to induce clairvoyant dreams. Sometimes added to love sachets. It should be gathered at noon.

MARJORAM

Magical attributes: protection, love, healing.

Uses: Add to all love charms or place a piece in rooms for protection. Give to a grieving person to bring them happiness.

MEADOWSWEET

Magical uses: Protection against evil influences, promotes love, balance and harmony. A sacred herb of the Druids. Place meadowsweet on the altar when making love charms and conducting love spells to increase their potency. Wear at Lammas to join with the Goddess.

MINT (SPEARMINT & PEPPERMINT)

Magical attributes: Money, healing, strength, augment power, luck, travel.

Uses: Mint in tea form aids upset stomachs, flu, and can be used to ease hiccups. Inhalations of the leaves in boiling water are recommended for head colds and asthma. Mint tea used instead of aspirin is great for headaches, particularly premenstrual headaches. Nervous headaches can be relieved if you lie in a dark room with fresh peppermint leaves on the forehead. Aids the respiratory and circulatory systems. An anti-inflammatory and an antiseptic. Ideal for treating indigestion, flatulence, varicose veins, headaches, migraines, skin irritations, rheumatism, toothache, and general fatigue.

MISTLETOE

Magical uses: Worn for protection and to attract love, or to help conceive.

MUGWORT

Magical uses: Clairvoyance, psychic dreams, astral projection, protection. Place in the shoes for protection and to prevent fatigue on long journeys. The fresh leaves rubbed on a magick mirror or crystal ball will strengthen divinatory abilities. Mugwort is perhaps the most widely used Witches herb of all time.

MULLEIN

Magical uses: Courage, protection from wild animals, protection from evil spirits, cleansing of ritual and psychic places before and after working there. Also used for cleansing and purifying ritual tools and altars.

MYRRH

Magical uses: Purifying and protective incense for ritual areas. Can be used to consecrate tools.

Uses: Excellent insect repellent and as a tincture it is good for bad breath and gum problems.

MYRTLE

Magical uses: Myrtle was sacred to the Selune and Jannath and has been used in love charms and spells throughout history. Grow indoors for good luck. Carry or wear Myrtle leaves to attract love; charms made of the wood have special magickal properties. Wear fresh Myrtle leaves while making love charms, potions or during rituals for love.

NETTLE

Magical attributes: To advert danger, protection, healing, courage, antidote for many poisons.

Uses: Use gloves to handle so as to avoid getting pricked. High in vitamin C and iron and when in tea form can ease asthma and increase your energy levels.

NUTMEG

Magical uses: Clairvoyance and psychic power of visions.

OAK

Magical uses: The Oak is a sacred tree in many cultures. A Witch, shaman or druid will often seek out a grove of Oak to perform rites. It has always been considered unlucky to cut down an oak. After getting permission from the tree's Dryad, burn oak leaves for purification of ritual spaces. Oak is often used for all-purpose wands and they imbue great power. The acorns have been carried to increase fertility in women and to increase sexual appeal by men, preserve youth and to banish illness. Hang Oak over windows and doors to protect your house from evil spirits.

ONION

Magical uses: Protection and healing. Place cut onions in a sick person’s room to absorb the illness. Leave them overnight and throw away in the morning.

ORANGE

Magical uses: The dried and powdered peel is added to love and fertility charms.

ORRIS ROOT

Magical uses: Love, sexual appeal. Use in charms, amulets, sachets, incenses and baths.

PARSLEY

Magical attributes: Fresh parsley leaves in tea form are a treatment for cramps, while dried root decoctions eases urinary infections and arthritis. Externally, crushed leaves relieve insect bites, and may be applied in poultice form to sprains.

Uses: Widely used as a culinary herb

PATCHOULI

Magical uses: Aphrodisiac and attractant of lovers for either sex

PENNYROYAL

Magical uses: Protection, weariness, deters insects. Avoid Pennyroyal while pregnant.

PEPPER - BLACK

Magical uses: Use in protective charms.

PERIWINKLE

Magical uses: Protection against evil influences. Hang around doors and windows.

PIMPERNEL

Magical uses: Wear to detect falsehood to prevent or know when others are lying to you.

PINE

Magical attributes: Attunement to nature, centering, cleansing, healing, productivity, purification against illness, a good winter incense, fertility charms.

Uses: Pine buds prepared by decoction act as an expectorant and antiseptic. This same mixture can be used for inhalation for head colds, although it is easier to toss some needles in hot water. Green cones and needles can be added to bath water to ease muscle pains and swelling. For magic, pine is best suited for its aromatic qualities of bringing one back into balance, and enhancing connection with the natural world.

POPPY

Magical uses: Eat poppy seeds as a fertility charm, just don't take a urine test at work for a few days afterward. Carry the seeds or dried seed-pod as a prosperity charm.

ROSE

Magical attributes: Love, friendship, luck, protection, psychic power and divination.

Uses: Conserves of roses or rose petals in honey are often recommended for nausea and sore throats. Roses are high in vitamin C.

ROSEMARY

Magical attributes: Improve memory, sleep, purification, youth, love, power, healing, protection, intellectual.

Uses: Promotes healing of wounds, acts as an antiseptic, and can be a mild stimulant. Good in teas for treating flu, stress, and headaches or body aches. Mental and physical booster. Used for treating (oil form) muscular sprains, arthritis, rheumatism, depression, fatigue, memory loss, migraine headaches, coughs, flu and diabetes. Excellent remedy for acne or cellulite. When the leaves are soaked in wine for two weeks, small glasses may be taken as a digestive aid. Oil of rosemary is excellent in hair conditioners, and the flowers of this herb may be added to lotion recipes to improve the complexion. Add to all purification bath sachets, love incenses, and protection incenses. Make a simple of rosemary and use it to cleanse the hands before working magic, if you have no time for a regular ritual bath. Burn rosemary and juniper as a healing and recuperation incense.

ROWAN

Magical uses: Protection, good luck, healing.

RUE

Magical uses: Protection, preventing illness, clearness of mind, purification of ritual spaces and tools, clearing the mind of emotional clutter.

SAFFRON

Magical uses: Prosperity, healing and sexual prowess in men

SAGE

G/P/E:Masculine, Jupiter or Venus, Air.
Magical attributes:Fertility, longevity, wishes, wisdom, protection, healing, health.
Uses:Can be used in an infusion to aid digestion, or as part of a honey wine to fight colds and fever. When applied in compresses it can ease many skin discomforts, including dandruff. If made into cream it is good for muscularpain, and if dried and smoked sometimes gives relief to asthma.

ST JOHN'S WORT

Magical uses:Protective charms, ward off fever and illness, a banishing or exorcism incense, the tea increases courage and will power. Gather on Midsummer's Eve, pass through the smoke of bonfires to purify, and hang in the house as protection and to prevent nightmares.

SANDALWOOD

G/P/E: Feminine, Moon, Air.
Magical uses:Purification, protection and healing.

SUNFLOWER

Magical uses:Welcomes and invites the blessings of the Sun into the garden. The seeds are eaten by women to increase fertility.

THYME

Magical attributes: Sleep, psychic energy, courage, healing, purification incense, magickal cleansing baths, a renewing of one's personal energy, warding off of negative energy.

Uses: Powerful antibacterial, antibiotic, and diuretic properties. It helps eliminate wastes from the body. It is used in treating whooping coughs, warts, rheumatism and acne. A strong antiseptic which when prepared by infusion is useful for poor digestion, exhaustion, colds, and infections, and with honey is an effective treatment for sore throats. Also used in tea form as a fever breaker, headache reducer and to be rid of intestinal worms, and can be used as a mouthwash. Also, a great insect repellent. Use both the leaves and flowers. This tea works best for headaches when taken cold. Take a magical cleansing bath in the spring of thyme and marjoram (used in tea form or whole herbs). A pillow stuffed with it cures nightmares.

TUMERIC

Uses: added to warm milk it regulates menstrual cycle.

VALERIAN

Magical attributes: Love, calming, sleep, purification or relaxing baths.

Uses: Use the dried, powdered root. Promotes relaxation while counteracting the effects of insomnia, anxiety, nervousness, headaches, premenstrual syndrome and menstrual cramping. For sleep, before bed take 1 teaspoon of herb to 1 pint of water and simmer. Also acts as a good substitute for catnip. Use the fresh herb in spells of love, also to get fighting couples together. Used in the Purification bath sachet.

VANILLA

Magical uses: The bean is used in a love charms, the oil is worn as an aphrodisiac.

VERVAIN

Magical uses: Ritual cleansing or sacred space, magical cleansing baths, purification incenses. Hang over the bed to prevent nightmares. Love and protection charms, Vervain is also an excellent for use in prosperity charms and spells as it brings good luck and inspiration.

VIOLET

Magical uses: Mix with lavender for a powerful love charm. A Violet and Lavender compress will aid in eliminating headaches. The flowers are carried as a good-luck charm. The scent will soothe, clear the mind and relax the wearer.

WALNUT

Magical uses: Carry the nut as a charm to promote fertility and strengthen the heart.

WILLOW

Magical uses: Willow wands can be used for healing. The Willow will bring the blessings of the Moon upon those who plant it or have it on their property. Willows can be used to bind together witch's brooms and a forked willow branch is widely used in water witching and dowsing.

WITCH HAZEL

Magical attributes: Protection, chastity, healing the heart.

Uses: In tincture form it is good as a mouth rinse and to ease hemorrhoids. As a compress, witch hazel can be applied to insect bites and other skin irritations.

WORMWOOD

Magical uses: Wormwood is burned to gain protection from wandering spirits. Used in divinatory and clairvoyance incenses, initiation rites and tests of courage. Enables the dead to be released from this plane so they may find peace.

YARROW

Magical uses: Courage, love, marriage charms, dispelling negativity, psychic abilities, divination.

Uses: A very potent healer, it intensifies the medicinal action of other herbs taken with it. Helps eliminate toxins (good for colds). Most useful in its abilities to staunch blood flow. In poultice form, it is useful against infections and swelling. In magic there is evidence that yarrow was often used as a component in incantations. The tea drunk prior to divination will enhance one's powers of perception (a touch of peppermint brightens this brew up and always works better). Also drink the tea to stop arthritis symptoms such as swelling and inflammation associated with weather divination and generally end all aching, sore muscles, or stiff joints or back pain. A powerful incense additive for divination and love spells.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:01:03 am by Shantis »

Shantis

• Hero
  • qiip
    • View Profile
Candles and magic
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2018, 06:31:28 am »
Candles and magic

Candle Magic has been around for many, many years, being traced as far back as the ancient era. It is a very powerful form of sympathetic magic.

There are many factors that play into the art of candle magic. As we know any type of magic that is performed will return to you three fold, whether it be positive or negative. Always keep aware “An harm to none do what thou wilt” in mind when considering your work. Always keep in mind that magic effect’s the entire world around you. Be very careful what you ask for, for it may well come true. The wording in any type of magic must not be taken lightly, be very careful, concise , and precise, make sure you have covered all possible bases. Candle magic is part of a ritual, giving support or enhancing some factors of the ritual. In some points, can be used to define the time of the effect of the ritual, or the time the target have before starting to feel the effects

Keep in mind that some candle magic has to be repeated over a period of days. Therefore, you will want to place them in an area that will not be disturbed. Do not choose a place where there is  noise or disturbances of any kind. Keep in mind to not put candles near curtains and such, as you would not want to burn your house down. Candle magic should always be performed in a calm, isolated area.

Candle Magic Preparation

Your Altar:

You may use anything that has a flat top. People use an old trunk or a shield on it. Be creative. As for a cover I use white because of it’s kind of a multipurpose color. Although some magic specifies a color then what ever color is specified should be used. Again, be creative... Keep in mind that candle magic is usually done in condensed areas so keep things as simplistic as you can, especially your candlesticks and censors.

Incense:

There are some who believe that incense is unimportant in candle magic. I cannot imagine performing candle magic without the incense. The type that you use may be specified in a specific ritual, if that is the case by all means use that.

Incense symbolizes Air... as the smoke rises our thoughts are carried up into the universe.

Preparing of the Practitioner:

Prior to your spell working prepare yourself a nice relaxing bath. Add a hand full of sea salt to get your charges set where they need to be. Light a few candles, turn off the light and relax. Clear your mind of the junk you have picked up through out the day. Visualize the water washing all the negativity away from you. It is very important that your mind be at ease and clear prior to any spell working.

Types of candles:

Any type of candle can be used for candle magic as long as it has been cleansed and consecrated prior to use. Although beeswax candles are higher in price than store bought candles or take some time to produce by yourself, they are more powerful because they are produced from nature. As with any other tool, the candle made by the practitioner for a specific purpose captures the energy of the practitioner. Many experienced druids will use only candles they have crafted themselves because of this.

Cleansing & Consecrating:

This is a very important step and should not be omitted. Cleansing removes all the negative energies that the candle has picked up along the way. As with all supplies you want your candles to to be as free of psychic debris as possible. Submerge the candle in sea salt and the ask The Lord and lady to bless it. I could give you the phrasing but I think it is better when it comes from your own heart.

Dressing Candles:

Dressing the candle with oil is as important as any other step. Use whatever oil you prefer or what a specific spell asks you to use. Personally, I use lotus a lot. but again that is my preference. what is important is the direction you dress the candle. To bring something to you, rub oil on the candle in a downward motion from the top to the middle and then from the bottom to the middle.

To send something away from you...you rub the oil from the middle of the candle out to the ends. Never make a back and forth motion as this defeats the purpose. Dab the remaining oil from your fingers onto your third eye and on your breast bone. Then say the following:

“I cleanse and consecrate this candle in the name of the Earth <other. May it burn with strength in the service of the nature.”

Then state your intent or the purpose of the candle.

Inscribing:

If you inscribe a candle you should use your Athame. The same principle as dressing the candle is used.

To draw something to you, write from the top to the middle, and then from the bottom to the middle. Use druidic runes or inscriptions, propely for your ritual.

Candle Color Meanings

Candles of different colors are used in magic. They can be one of the most effective tools used for spells, meditation, rituals and other ceremonies. Below is a list of individual candle colors and the meanings and uses traditionally associated with that color.

White

The Goddess (Earth Mother Jannath)

Higher Self

Purity

Peace

Virginity

(substitutes any other color)

Black

Binding

Shapeshifting

Protection

Repels Negativity

Brown

Special Favors

To Influence Friendships

Silver

The Goddess (Selune in this case, or the moon)

Astral energy

Female energy

Telepathy

Clairvoyance

Intuition

Dreams

Purple

Third Eye

Psychic Ability

Hidden Knowledge

To Influence People in High Places

Spiritual Power

Blue

Element of Water

Wisdom

Protection

Calm

Good Fortune

Opening Blocked Communication

Spiritual Inspiration

Green

The Element of Earth

Physical Healing

Monetary success

Mother Earth

Tree and Plant Magic

Growth

Personal Goals

Pink

Affection

Romance

Affection

Caring

Nurturing

Planetary Good Will

Red

Element of Fire

Passion

Strength

Fast action

Career Goals

Lust

Driving Force

Survival

Blood of the Moon

Orange

General Success

Property Deals

Legal matters

Justice

Selling

Copper

Professional Growth

Business Fertility

Career Maneuvers

Passion

Money Goals

Gold

The God (Sun, or in some cases AMAUNATOR)

Promote Winning

Power of the Male

Happiness

Yellow

The Element of Air

Intelligence

The Sun

Memory

Logical Imagination

To Accelerate Learning

To Break Mental Blocks or recovery memory after a trauma.