19 Apr 24, 21:45 pm » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Discussion: Monster/non-standard races  (Read 10209 times)

Professor Misclick

• Netheril Rising [DM]
  • Citizen
    • View Profile
Discussion: Monster/non-standard races
« on: January 24, 2018, 11:07:11 pm »
Hi all. The team is interested in hearing what sort of monster/non-standard races you would like to be available. Feel free to post suggestions and work up a stat line/feats/background of how they in the setting etc...

Discord channel if you want to join the ongoing convo.

https://discord.gg/2CPCYAc

golw

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion: Monster/non-standard races
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 07:27:09 pm »
Preferrably none offered as playable, but instead, presented in limited time capacities that are plot dependent. Magic and monsters are boring when everyone is a magical monster. Run a big kobold infiltration plot and allow kobold PCs, but limited time. Those that survive the plot are permitted to continue, but are gone when they're gone. Same for all monsters and non standard people's.

Danuvis

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 06:57:18 am »
I agree with Golw.

SpiffyHas

• Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 12:53:53 pm »
golw nailed it, though I would permit tiefling/aasimar races as desired by players.

Leshpar

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 04:38:42 pm »
As someone who extensively plays gnolls I would very much like the option to play as gnolls, kobolds, and the like. These, if played well by experienced rpers can add a huge dynamic to the game. Plus there are next to no servers outside Arelith that allow this. It would attract players I think.

Recklessfireball

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 05:53:12 pm »
Setting considerations probably need to be taken into account.  Anything not human and Netherese would either be considered fit only for slave stock or extermination.  Half-breed races that could pass for pure human, close up, would probably integrate the most easily, though they would have to be careful about who they revealed their nature to.

Of course, standard races have this problem too.  I play a half-elf and a gnome, for example.  The half-elf is acutely aware he will always be nothing more than a second class citizen.  And the gnome is a former slave of a Netherese archmage who has no illusions about some other wizard enslaving him again, if the whim takes them (although, my gnome is batshit crazy and isn't particularly bothered by the prospect.  :D).

On the other hand, extremely powerfully gifted extraplanar species might be able to garner enough respect to visit an Enclave if they mind their manners and the high-magic nature of the setting means there could be lots of exotic species owned by the Netherese as slaves.  This particular era of Faerun is one in which seeing bizarre creatures on the streets could actually make sense.

I would say throw whatever you want in there, just make sure to add RP guidelines on how you think the species would be perceived and integrate into Netherese society.

Rose

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 12:49:15 am »
I love vegepygmies and plant-monsters. They're a passion of mine :) Should be very heavily restricted to make sure they can be roleplayed properly and don't get the knife-ear syndrome or get rp'd with mammalian ways of thinking. Perhaps restricted to part of a prelude and linked to a monster lair.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Necroconvict

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 09:02:23 am »
I've read a lot of fantasy books, and have no problem with other humanoid races.. good, or evil.  Look at how many characters that are of the current races, that play as evil on this server, or on others.  Humans, how many have you had to kill in your years of gaming vs other races.  I've put many in shallow graves, or littered across a battlefield.  In a lot of fantasy books, there are of course occasionally humanoids that decide not to be evil.  Being a second class goblin, or kobold trying to be a hero in the world, sounds like as much fun, as trying to be a certain drow ranger.  In a group with other  "acceptable" races.  Could make for an interesting rp I think.  I'm new here, and it's 4 am.

ToxicWrench

• Demi-God
  • Twisting nuts since '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 09:48:47 am »
" or kobold trying to be a hero in the world, sounds like as much fun, as trying to be a certain drow ranger.  In a group with other  "acceptable" races.  Could make for an interesting rp I think.  I'm new here, and it's 4 am."

That's not really how DnD and Forgotten Realms works though, there are clear cut evil and clear cut good races. Don't even get me started on "good" drow  ::)

eKross

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 02:58:40 pm »
Silats!
Basically ogre-magi females, with the power to polymorph other monsters.
Risky, but a disguised monster could visit a shop in town and Silats would be an excuse for magical disguisement.
But only if someones willing to play a 4m tall hag.