18 Apr 24, 05:27 am » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: How should we handle applications?  (Read 10156 times)

Tinker

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
How should we handle applications?
« on: January 24, 2018, 12:05:33 pm »
We had a discussion earlier on discord about applications and I would like to ask how would you, the community like to see them handled?

Someone suggested it be done through a merit type system;

Where you basically earned the right to play high-tier subrace/special position with how well you played your previous character.
The merits can come from DMs/players. Say, if a player liked the encounter you had with him, he'd give you a point or something. The DM could do it too.

Thoughts on this?

I like this idea, there would have to be things in place to limit the number of times you could vote for the same person so friends were not just handing them out to friends
I would say there should be a limit on the number you get per real life week X amount
There should be a way for DM's to review who voted for who.

If you have an opinion I would love to hear it, these also are just my thoughts I do not speak for the team on this matter, we have yet to discuss how we want to handle applications and perks.

Mortui

• Demi-God
  • Resident Dropbear
    • View Profile
Re: How should we handle applications?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 12:10:34 pm »
I honestly prefer this way to applications, as in general that's just a really messy system that involves a lot of bothering the DMs about them, fretting about whether or not they're written well enough when it is quite obvious that you'd be able to pull off the character well enough.

I think there should be some sort of formal note along with Kingsman's suggestion, and that we should limit the amount of people with 'application' perks just so that we don't have twenty Lycans wandering around with only 30 people on the server.

JoeKickAss

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 09:41:44 pm »
Agree. Arelith have a nice app system along these lines.

Professor Misclick

• Netheril Rising [DM]
  • Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 10:38:33 pm »
I'm a fan of having some sort of information if players want something special. Not the painful apps but just a few ideas and thoughts from the players about what they are thinking about doing.

I'd be in favor of stuff that helps keep up organized and assist the player in telling their story.

Account name/Character Name/Special Thing
Class/Alignment/Race/Level
Brief bio
What are you going to do and what would you hope to have the DM team support you with?

I will take a ruler to the first person that brings up Adventure/Intigue and creating conflict being outlined in an app.  8)

Gmork

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 10:47:54 pm »
A little of both. No app for anything that is as powerful or less than standard DnD races. A system where you can earn points to play a non-standard, more powerful race. An app for anything really special, but the app does not have to be a work of literal art.
"People who have no hope are easy to control"

Master_Sarevok

• Arcanist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:54:11 pm »
Merit is he best system but also having a minor pm to dms with basic contact info and information on what players want, be it a race or even a player goal for their chars can help the dms plot fun rp events and ideas. It’s not too dissimilar to a process I used a lot on a different server. Like to get a stronghold you had to have proven good rp and then given the dm a basic info of what th stronghold was, how it would earn an upkeep income and whatnot. Helped the dms figure out good ways to rp the acquirement

Cptzambie

• Developer
  • Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 12:44:36 am »
I believe the apps should not be difficult to obtain seeing not everyone is the best writer and if it creates fun for the server and players why should it be difficult to play something you find fun. I believe you should have some goals and how you with these goals will try impact and involve other players on the server and dont worry too much about the background stuff. I do like the idea that there should be a limit on votes so people dont vote for their freinds all the time.

caek

• Hero
  • DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 09:41:41 pm »
As much done IG and IC as possible with a heads up to DMs with what you want to do, especially when it comes to faction positions.

A really simple app format for subraces / starting perks and everyone is happy.

Wabbit

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 02:30:44 am »
It would be nice to have a merit based application process. On the other hand, it would be preferable to know that the player requesting a special subrace or class knows at least some basic lore as to whatever they are requesting.

Gmork

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 05:07:05 am »
Yes, we will handle these much like suggested above, for subraces a small application should be provided so we can see some basic understanding of the race and lore and for things like faction's these could be joined ingame. PrC's can be earnt ingame through actions but in saying this we need to get the subrace system nutted out.
"People who have no hope are easy to control"

golw

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 07:17:57 pm »
Personally, I favor there being no "powerful" subraces at all. Since you're making your own sure race system, rebalance and redesign all of the races to be in line with what you want. I personally recommend adopting 5e.

Dwarves get +2 con.
Hill dwarves get toughness for free.
Gold dwarves get +2 strength.

So on, all races have representation in the books. And since you'd be updating to 5e races, technically all dwarves would get +2 Cha from to remove the 3rd edition negative trait, making it a flat stat like humans.

Anyway, point being, by adopting 5e races you are also balancing drow and duergar and removing their "powerfulness". Do this for all of these races, and just never, ever include powerful ones like half-dragons and lycanthropes.

If the DM team feels they want a half dragon villain, they shouldn't do applications, they should agree on a player and offer it. Same for lycanthropes. Don't allow requested on creation werewolves, instead make a plot about werewolves and offer one or two players on creation wolves (whomever is around, available, is trusted with the power, expected to be cool, and hadn't recently been honored similarly) and let them infect players.

Alternatively, I'd simply make it require 3 DMs to sign off on, with veto power on creation if it doesn't work, or if the player abuses it. Maybe don't make it an app, just a lobbying thing. Player must get sponsorship from X number of DMs. That's for blanket applications though, not just subraces. Obviously the more powerful the app, or more weird or prestigious, the fewer DMs will sponsor it, so you elininate the silly confirmation periods and slow voting process. Just present your idea to DMs until you get the appropriate number necessary to app.

Generally though, prestige classes and earn in game things should really be obvious and easily obtained if actually earned.