25 Apr 24, 15:04 pm » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Newest Recruit  (Read 5074 times)

Violet De Camp

The Newest Recruit
« on: June 22, 2018, 06:10:08 am »
The laughter of her comrades followed her as she entered the sparring arena. The elven soldiers that gathered to watch the newbie's supposed first attempt at combat were unimpressed with the new recruit's stature and build. She was short, even by elven woman standards, and she didn't look particularly strong either. She was, however, adorned with fine black, red, and turquoise chainmail armor, a red cape, shield of Sehanine, and a fine scabbard and blade attached to her hip. She also wore a helmed mask that covered her face and head.

"Must be some nobelman's daughter, here to play soldier. Giver her a week before she quits." One of the soldiers said.

"'Ells, I'll givah a day. Sywyn's gonna givah a beatdown. Won't even be close." Said another.

The woman, with her left hand on the hilt of her blade, stood calmly across from one of the largest elves in the empire. He stood at a staggering 6'6", and looked as if he was built of pure muscle. Many had joked that he had orc blood somewhere in his veins. He held a massive bastard sword in his hands and pointed the tip straight at the masked woman.

"I'll give yah one chance to quit before we start this." The oak of an elf said. "After that, you'd better hope the healers are ready to keep yah alive."

The woman said nothing in response. Instead, she slowly extended the silver blade from its ornamental scabbard.

"Alright, I warned yah..." The tall elf said as he drew his blade upward and prepared for a crushing blow. He proceeded to bring the sword down with all of his might down on her.

He missed terribly.

The woman, even with the weighted chainmail and shield, rolled and recovered beautifully. Her body flowing like water, she quickly sent two slashes into her opponents torso. The blade she held glowed brightly as it cut through in a brilliant display.

The crowd was stunned, as was the large elf. He gritted his teeth in pain as the wizards and clerics gave him some of their healing magics.

"You're quick you little run, I'll give yah that, but you ain't gonna fool me twice!"

He bull rushed at the tiny woman once again, this time swinging multiple times in a row. With each strike, the woman parried his blow wish her shield or sword in a brilliant display. The crowd was left stunned as the sparks flew form her shield and the glow emanated from her blade, glowing brighter as the fight drug on. The grace of her movements seemed more like a dance than a sparring match.

It didn't take long for the large elf to grow tired... And as soon as he let up, the woman seized the opportunity to finish the match with a quick series of flourishes to the man's torso. Completely exhausted, he fell backward and laid on the ground motionless, once again requiring the attention of the healers.

The crowd stood with their mouths open in awe as the woman, rather than claiming victory and addressing the soldiers, turned and walked away. Her comrades, now completely taken aback by her fighting prowess, hoped she would return to the sparring grounds once more so that they might witness her performance once more. However, the masked woman was never to be seen again...