In Character > Journals & Backgrounds

The Conviction of Retzlaff Voltoeux

<< < (2/2)

Myth:
Hadrian, Low Netheril

A letter arrived at his house in Hadrian, a letter with a red wax seal of a large V. Retzlaff knows there immediately that its a letter from a family member but which one... After hanging up his cloak for the night, and pouring himself a tall glass of some imported elven wine he sits down in the high backed chair of his house. Peace and quiet with only the crackling of the wood in the fire place. Looking at the letter there were only a few things it could mean.
Taking a long sip of wine he breaks the seal with a dagger. From family tradition he knows there is potent poison coating underneath the wax seal to prevent anyone from living long enough to know the contents of the letter. Pulling out the letter he see's its from his sister, Agarwaeneth, and begins to read.

To my dearest brother Saeruth,

I know we haven't really talked since... the incident and trial, its been 8 years, 7 months and 23 days, Yes I've been keeping track. Vyell stopped by recently and he explained a few things to me, one of which is why you and him disappeared from the rest of the family. Our whole family was exiled, but it does not mean you must be exiled from the family also. I know I held anger against you and told you I never wanted to see you again, but after what Vyell said, I now know that you have been carrying the burden for the entire family. The others may still hold anger towards you but they will come around i'm sure of it. You were always there to protect me when we were children and growing up, especially from mother... I see that now.

I would like to write to you in more pleasant circumstances, but truthfully I need you to protect me like you once did. I am being hunted by some filthy inbred human noble. I apparently slighted him some how by by not letting him take me to dinner. I suspected he had ulterior motives, and by the actions he took I am convinced there was, but now there is a bounty on my head, and mercenaries on my heals. Saeruth, please if you can find it in your heart to forgive me of my anger, the things I said to you all those years ago, and save me from this filthy noble I will do everything in my power to convince the rest of the family what you did was for the good of us all. I will be at our family safe house near the southern boarder of Illefarn, as dangerous as it will be for me it will be more dangerous for the mercenaries that hunt me.

Your loving sister,
Agarwaeneth Voltoeux

P.S. Vyell mentioned to me that he was heading south to the Dragon Coast. He said that was the direction the gods told him to go. I don't remember him being so religious but much has changed.

On finishing the letter, Retzlaff took another long sip of his wine before setting the glass down. Sitting for a few moments to collect his thoughts he knew what he must do. Throwing the letter into the fire and watched it catch fire before quickly packing his bags, his sword, daggers, poison... everything of which his family tradition required of him. Pouring water in the fireplace, and packing rations for the journey, Retzlaff, looked at the door and was about to leave before he felt a pull at his heart. Setting his bags down he pulled out a Quill and some fresh scribing paper Alatar left behind in a cupboard to write a letter to Zahirra.

Myth:
Hadrian, Low Netheril

While his time spent with his sister Agarwaeneth, near the southern edge of Illefarn was mostly successful, the outcome had over all changed him.
Much like breathing, the training his parents had forced on him came natural. He not only ensured the safety of his sister while on the run, but tracked and mutilated the bounty hunters like a predator hunting for sport, and also slaughtered the nobleman in his own estate; sending an unspoken message to the other human nobles in the area.
Performing his family duty as is required of him, Retzlaff left no witnesses. In fact, anyone local to the southern Illefarn border would have found the news shocking. Not only was the noble gruesomely murdered in his own bed with his guards butchered throughout the estate, but his wife, children, and servants were also found dead in a similar brutal fashion.
Rumors in the surrounding area of southern Illefarn begun to sprout up among the superstitious common folk about a vengeful spirit since nothing of value was found missing in the estate, while others claimed that the nobleman overstepped his station by attempting to increase his lands but insulted the Elves of Illefarn in the process...

What seemed to be a short trip felt like a long life changing journey to Retz. Seeing all the civilians working around the dock of Hadrian while the ship docked and dropped anchor, Retzlaff took in a deep breath before descending down the ramp towards the city.
After visiting his hired merchant for his shop to make sure everything was still running smoothly he quickly stopped at the Fishermen's Guild to inform them of his return. Afterwards he found himself back in his quiet empty house exactly how he left it.
Over his time in Hadrian he made some enjoyable memories and beneficial business opportunities not long ago in the cozy and comfortable home, however now they feel like distant memories as he feels out of place and somewhat alien while he tries to rests his travel worn feet.
Sitting back on his couch reviewing a few news scrolls his guild gave him while sipping on a glass of Elven wine from Illefarn, he begun to plan and organize his thoughts on how he was going to accomplish his business deal with Zahirra and house Reschotti.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version