In Character > Journals & Backgrounds

Eliezra Baldwin's File

<< < (5/5)

Fiverine:
Sister Mylene's prophecy was accurate.  I have heard another Ilmateri making proclamations and Ostian said the beggars have tipped him off to the presence of at least one other.  I took this news to Mylene thinking it would give her some solace.  She has still been breaking down in tears sporadically, haunted by the fates of the refugees who went with Vyc and Sid.  Especially the children.  I have no idea how those fooled into accompanying the Fane are faring, but I am told that a few who joined Diiri's Boys are already dead. 

Mylene was sad but stable and drinking her usual tea when I spoke to her at the shrine this eve.  I told her the good news and said that I would seek out these brothers and sisters in spirit and show them our shrine and relic.  To my shock, she burst into tears again and for longer than she has in days.  I gave her time to settle and when she did not I asked her why she still grieved for the lost when help was finally at hand. 

Priestess Mylene stopped sobbing, sipped some of her brew and fixed me with a somber look.  She had that distant look that often hints one of her visions is imminent. Finally she spoke.
"After what happened to the refugees I knew that more of our faith would be drawn here.  And I knew they would be guardians and crusaders like you Eliezra.  Our persecutors have endangered children.  It is not for our lost that I shed tears for now.  I shed tears for those who took them."

Fiverine:
Perhaps Mylene was correct about a storm falling upon the Loviatarian cult and Diiri's Boys, for neither have troubled us for a fortnight now.  I have some new comrades to help protect the shrine and do our good works in Conch.  This has given me just a little more time to rove outside the city gathering information and resources.

During one of these journeys I visited the Hamring enclave.  This will sound idiotic, but whilst exploring it I met a talking donkey named Karetta.  She needed some help retrieving a large bone from a jungle beyond a portal.  I made a few attempts to fetch it for her but found the jungle swarming with packs of lumbering, overgrown lizards.  Each pack seemed more ferocious and dangerous than the last and despite using my best potions and fighting hard I could not push past all of them.  Worst of all, I had to flee some of the largest lizards.  After my final attempt I was standing in the sitting room where the portal sat, feeling quite frustrated and miserable.  I was about to tell Karetta I couldn't complete the job when a woman entered the room.  She was clearly a mage, carrying a staff shining with power.

To my delight, it turned out to be the famed Gabriella "Gabby" Le'Moure.  I had heard of her deeds and research around Conch and knew Pearl and Lauriella considered her a good friend.  I also knew she was an outstanding enchanter of equipment for much of mine had been purchased from her store.  But this was the first time we'd ever crossed paths in person.  Since I had heard of her so long but never seen her I'd imagined her to be an aloof mage who spent her time when not adventuring locked in a tower working on artifice or research.  In fact, she was infectiously ebullient and eager to help me with my dilemma. 

I'd seen my allies Lauriella and Locke wield powerful magics and felt I had some idea of what is possible.  But my estimations were woeful... I have never seen such power as what Gabby could wield.  Normally when working with a mage I would be focussed on protecting them but that was not necessary this time.  Her summoned minions and transmuting spells made short work of even the fiercest of the reptiles, including some ancient horror that commanded them.  I did my part too.  The prime creature resembled a dragon skeleton and was terrifying, yet with words and gestures Gabby turned the monster to stone!  Conch is fortunate that she is a good soul.  With her aid the task was simple, and I was able to bring Karetta the bone she was seeking.  Gabby and I spoke for some time afterwards and I hope we can work together again soon. 

Fiverine:
I have suspected this moment was approaching for some time now.  I could feel it in my bones when I woke this morning- Ilmater is content with what I have achieved in Conch and wishes me to move on.  He calls me south, to lands I have never ventured to before.  I am both excited and afraid, and sad to leave my friends.   Though it pains me I must depart abruptly without saying a proper farewell to any but Sister Mylene.  Pather, Ostian, Mylene and Arlow were all kindred spirits to me, saved by the same kind god and given strength to do his work.  Others like Gabriella, Pearl, Locke and Lauriella did not hold quite the same beliefs as me, but were brave and true comrades I was honoured to fight alongside. 

The Helm of Heroes shall remain here in our secret shrine until it too is called elsewhere.  Until today I was its defender and I pray a new one emerges.  More than that, I hope that new warriors arise to protect the people of our part of the slums.  There is a man named Knox I feel may take up this cause.  He is a gladiator and acolyte of Targus we saved from death in the arena.  Though his faith is nothing like ours, he is a man of honour and has sworn to repay his life debt to us. 

Farewell Conch.  You took my face, but gave me so much more in return.  Please be kind to my people, as you ultimately were to me. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version