19 Apr 24, 06:34 am » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: spellcaster flavor and misc  (Read 3812 times)

tourism

• Citizen
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
spellcaster flavor and misc
« on: July 28, 2021, 11:14:27 pm »

The setting is pretty high-magic, and really favors wizards/sorcs/spellcasters. I think it would be cool to see specializing in magic schools be more lucrative a commitment. Some kind of goodie that makes sacrificing another school worth the cost.  IDK how you might go about this, maybe making it so your DCs are higher on favored schools and lower on the school you sacrifice, maybe conj has longer summon out time (seems to be per rl minute, not per hour right now), illusion lets you summon or make clones, abjuration gives you some kind of spell-dueling, counterspelling, bonus. I'm just spitballing really.

It'd also be nice to see the vanilla familiars expanded. Maybe lean full into the aesthetic and let people pick a template from the vanilla to use and then they can pick a skin to throw over top?

Summons also seem to only be out for 5-10 minutes at a time, not the 24hrs it says on the spell description.

Misc things:

If combat ends while someone is in bleed out, maybe they can auto-stabilize? Sucks to win the fight but your buddy remains dead and down.

Managing resting is a bit of a pain. Maybe if we were more familiar with how to manage our spells and play it wouldn't suck as much, but it can suck to have to wait 5-10 minutes (or more) just to have another go at spells. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it can be obtrusive to the gameplay loop to have to stop and wait. My suggestion to remedy this would be to put resting anywhere not in a designated resting spot on a timer, but resting in a resting spot is always free. Or, maybe some kind of Thing you have to buy that lets you rest outside a resting zone, but still has the timer.

Noticed people get stuck a lot and need to flag a DM to unstick them. Maybe a command would be good that, so long as you're out of combat, automatically ports you back to the last transition you took? Or something.

Generally, really like the server, really impressed. The world building baked into the module and storytelling going on just by how the areas are built and the npcs there and what they talk about, really excellent. It's a skill that a lot of storytellers struggle with, but Netheril executes it wonderfully. The questing system is good and rewarding, I like that the dungeons are right next to the quest giver so there's no getting lost on what to do or where to go. I also like all the considerations put in for solo'ers, the ability to buy buffs from the wandering clerics and how some quests are balanced for soloing. Even though I haven't run into many other players or any DM interactions, I've had a lot of fun just exploring and trying out all the quests.  I also really like all the custom spells, they're really cool and Neat.

ok thats all thank you.

Gmork

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
Re: spellcaster flavor and misc
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 11:40:24 am »

The setting is pretty high-magic, and really favors wizards/sorcs/spellcasters. I think it would be cool to see specializing in magic schools be more lucrative a commitment. Some kind of goodie that makes sacrificing another school worth the cost.  IDK how you might go about this, maybe making it so your DCs are higher on favored schools and lower on the school you sacrifice, maybe conj has longer summon out time (seems to be per rl minute, not per hour right now), illusion lets you summon or make clones, abjuration gives you some kind of spell-dueling, counterspelling, bonus. I'm just spitballing really.

This is definitely something that will happen. We will post about it once in, but yes, it would add so much more to spell casters.

It'd also be nice to see the vanilla familiars expanded. Maybe lean full into the aesthetic and let people pick a template from the vanilla to use and then they can pick a skin to throw over top?

This is another thing in the pipeline.

Summons also seem to only be out for 5-10 minutes at a time, not the 24hrs it says on the spell description.

Yes, summons are supposed to last x turns/level but we missed changing the description. I'll put this on my list. Not the next hack update, but the one after that.

Misc things:

If combat ends while someone is in bleed out, maybe they can auto-stabilize? Sucks to win the fight but your buddy remains dead and down.

You can use heal kits to stabilize your friend, making them more important than ever. Make sure to put some points in healing or you might not make the healing roll in time to stop them dying ;)

Managing resting is a bit of a pain. Maybe if we were more familiar with how to manage our spells and play it wouldn't suck as much, but it can suck to have to wait 5-10 minutes (or more) just to have another go at spells. It's not the worst thing in the world, but it can be obtrusive to the gameplay loop to have to stop and wait. My suggestion to remedy this would be to put resting anywhere not in a designated resting spot on a timer, but resting in a resting spot is always free. Or, maybe some kind of Thing you have to buy that lets you rest outside a resting zone, but still has the timer.

Managing your resting and spell use is something you will have to learn. It is part of the challenge of playing a spell caster (not much of a challenge if you can rest right after a fight ;) ) That being said, you can rest outside the city if you have a bedroll and tinder to make a fire.

Noticed people get stuck a lot and need to flag a DM to unstick them. Maybe a command would be good that, so long as you're out of combat, automatically ports you back to the last transition you took? Or something. 

This is a good idea. Something we can add to the player tool.

Generally, really like the server, really impressed. The world building baked into the module and storytelling going on just by how the areas are built and the npcs there and what they talk about, really excellent. It's a skill that a lot of storytellers struggle with, but Netheril executes it wonderfully. The questing system is good and rewarding, I like that the dungeons are right next to the quest giver so there's no getting lost on what to do or where to go. I also like all the considerations put in for solo'ers, the ability to buy buffs from the wandering clerics and how some quests are balanced for soloing. Even though I haven't run into many other players or any DM interactions, I've had a lot of fun just exploring and trying out all the quests.  I also really like all the custom spells, they're really cool and Neat.

ok thats all thank you.

No, thank you for both playing and giving such constructive and well-thought-out suggestions. We are a little light on DM's right now so I'm sorry that you have not had any love yet. We try to involve as many people as we can when we do run things, bit, we, can, not, cover, all, time, zones, yet. Also very busy fixing bugs haha XD
If you get lonly try making a public sending and call for some help to do a quest or to try and sell your loot or what ever you can think of :) and have fun!
"People who have no hope are easy to control"