16 Apr 24, 17:45 pm » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Issues of the Conch Champion (For public reading)  (Read 15052 times)

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
  • Repairer of Reputations
    • View Profile
Re: Issues of the Conch Champion (For public reading)
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2024, 11:29:21 pm »
The Conch Champion.  Free of Thinking. 

Salvation!
Readers, I have made no secret of how much I detest having to be acting editor for this publication.  In pure desperation I reached out to the Champion's former editor Perrina Layne.  To my great relief she has agreed to come out of retirement and become the Champion's editor once again.  Her first editorial will come in our next issue as she must take time to reacclimatise to her role.  You will likely see her about town this week getting to know her readers once again. 

-R. Hurstport, owner and acting editor.

Festival of the Egg
The Church of Tyche held a celebration over the past weekend by hiding special eggs about Conch.  These could be cracked open by lucky citizens who found them to reveal confectionery and trinkets.  The event was a great success and attracted commerce and tourists to Conch.  However, some citizens and business have expressed displeasure at having strangers poking around their premises all weekend, and at least one reader complained that adventurers were finding all the eggs. 

-S. Hellworth, reporter.

Travel Restored
Recently Captain Shilah of the Creek Farms has been refusing to take travelers to Sable's Swamp or the Isle of Death.  She has informed the Champion that travel is once again available to paying passengers.  The good captain did express her concern about a "cult of the dead" operating in these areas, but could not offer many further details.  The Conch Champion is curious about this cult and also a village known as Gateway Haven.  Intrepid souls who can provide information about them will receive a reward from our grateful publication. 

-A. Nutt, reporter.

Positions Vacant
Several organisations in Conch have asked the Champion to advertise their need for staff.  West Netheril Trading Company is doing an intake of staff in a variety of roles, such as administration and security.  The Nebular University is about to begin a new semester and still has some places open for students.  Diiri's Boys of West Conch is seeking alchemists and guards.  House Sadardiel has expressed a need for warriors and spellcasters to help defend their holdings at the Lake of Tears.  Finally, the Meriwether Tannery has a few vacancies for hunters, trappers and leatherworkers but have asked that only humans apply.

-P. Krellin, reporter. 
"I just can't take no pleasure in killing. There's just some things you gotta do. Don't mean you have to like it."

Fiverine

• Developer
  • Demi-God
  • Repairer of Reputations
    • View Profile
Re: Issues of the Conch Champion (For public reading)
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2024, 06:08:14 am »
The Conch Champion.  Independent & Accurate, Always.

A New Moon
Greetings citizens of Conch, I am Perrina Layne your new editor!  Longtime readers of the Champion will know that statement is not entirely true for I edited this publication until I retired two years ago.  I watched on with frustration during Giona Morton's tenure and was delighted when Mr Hurstport asked me to return as editor.  Conch has changed somewhat since last I edited this newspaper.  The Kolumbos no longer dominate west Conch and the threat of the Empire has receded somewhat.  I feel this is a new chapter in our fair city's history and a more hopeful and prosperous one. 

I have been spending this past week personally delivering newspapers to our loyal subscribers and meeting people about town.  My initial goals as editor are to restore trust in our newspaper, promote worthy businesses and individuals of Conch and to rehabilitate the Champion's relationship with Conch's adventurers after Mr Morton's stint.   When I was a young lass I was an adventurer myself and know of the good work many of them are capable of.  Indeed, this week has seen me don my armour and pick up my mace and shield once again to do some small deeds for the needy.  My equipment is far heavier than I remembered!

My office is always open to tip-offs and requests for stories and you are all welcome to have a chat with me if you see me about town.

-P. Layne, editor.

Strange Sounds
Parishioners at the Market District's Temple of Tyche have told the Champion that they have heard eerie sounds coming from the crypts during services.  The sounds were described as a dry scrabbling or rattling.  Priest Zolo declined to make any comment to the Champion.  But one of his staff told this reporter on the condition of anonymity that some of the dead interned beneath the temple have risen for unknown reasons and must be forcibly laid back to rest.  They pleaded for adventurers or mercenaries to come to their aid. 

-S. Hellsworth, reporter.

The Man-Bat Returns
After some months of quiet, sightings of Conch's own boogieman the Man-Bat are being reported again.  The creature is said to resemble a man with a hideous face and wings sprouting from his shoulders.  Some tales say that the Man-Bat is a supernatural portent of doom and appears in Conch just before a major calamity occurs.  Others say that he a mutant child of a forbidden relationship, to be pitied as much as feared.  The more rational insist he is merely a Nebular student playing pranks in an outlandish costume.  What is known for certain is that Man-Bat sightings almost invariably occur in wine cellars. 

-A. Nutt, reporter.

Rain of Boulders
Ogres are continuing to raid and sack farms owned by the Sadardiel noble family near the Lake of Tears.  When not committing full assaults, the creatures hurl huge rocks upon the farmlands, causing much damage and effort to move.  The Sadardiels have been suffering from a shortage of retainers and their terrified farmers can generally do little but cower in their farmhouses when attacks begin.  However there have been unconfirmed reports this past week that the noble family has begun making counterattacks.

-P. Krellin, reporter. 

"I just can't take no pleasure in killing. There's just some things you gotta do. Don't mean you have to like it."