18 Apr 24, 23:26 pm » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Step into the Future - Questions and Suggestions  (Read 39613 times)

Vydaera

• Noble
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
Re: Step into the Future - Questions and Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 05:45:54 pm »
With quest rewards... money is nice, but it's not the only reward you can give, right?
Beginner quests could reward 3-5 healing pots, or if the quest had some monsters that used poison, why not give an Antidote as part of the reward? Healing kits are always nice, but there are lots of consumables that could be given as well: Barkskin, Mage Armor, Shield pots are useful to almost all characters in some fashion

For some of the longer mid-tier quests, perhaps give players a choice of one of the uniques that might or might not drop in the quest, so there is less incentive to just farm quests over and over every reset. Speaking of quests, there are a still some issues with parties trying to take the same quest together, or ending up in different instances of the quest. Very frustrating when grouping up is more trouble than it's worth.

I also suggest removing limitations from quests, and instead giving recommended level ranges. If you think that higher level players doing low level quests is a problem, you need to make appropriately-leveled content more rewarding than low level stuff.
Also... there's a big difference in character power based on builds, so a relatively lower level character with a good build could breeze through content that a poorly-built caster could.

Or even, characters might PURPOSELY build for other things than combat... they shouldn't lose access to content just for favoring a certain style of play.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 07:07:13 am »
What about the quests involving bees, wasps, beetles, goblins, myconids, spiders, undead, all of which can poison or disease you?
It's a very harsh design to have all of those things in the beginner quests, on all the random nook enemies in those quests
Coupled with the fact that enemies in general have very high AC values (even mook swarms) and that the poisons are mostly Str-draining types, it means fights take waaaaay longer

Maybe if quests had a bit more variety of enemies, it could lead to a richer experience
For example, take the poison of all the basic wasps in the infested house quest, but turn a couple of the enemy formations into slightly larger, palette-swapped versions that have more HP and chance to poison on hit
The queen already has a dangerous ranged attack that can stun- a great addition, by the way- and players quickly learn that she only uses it at range, making her a threat that needs to be dealt with.

But at higher levels, she could have a couple of those beefier wasps with her to complicate things a bit- or even another new enemy type, the Royal Guard.
They could have increased AC and Damage, but move a bit slower so that some clever playing ranged or caster characters could learn to evade them until the other wasps were dealt with.

Now doesn't that sound like fun to play?

This is just an off-the-cuff example of the kind of design elements that I excel in... if that's something you want.

We will be reviewing most if not all quests, as Hadrian will not be the hub. Also we need to take in the fact that the level range is increasing, so we will need to cover the full range of levels. Re the Bee quest we can review and move it to Conch with the changes you have made ... as an example of what we will be doing very soon. Happy for more ideas for changes to quest and new ideas. Something new is the Invasion quests that you might have heard about.
Build it and they will come.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 07:13:49 am »
With quest rewards... money is nice, but it's not the only reward you can give, right?
Beginner quests could reward 3-5 healing pots, or if the quest had some monsters that used poison, why not give an Antidote as part of the reward? Healing kits are always nice, but there are lots of consumables that could be given as well: Barkskin, Mage Armor, Shield pots are useful to almost all characters in some fashion

For some of the longer mid-tier quests, perhaps give players a choice of one of the uniques that might or might not drop in the quest, so there is less incentive to just farm quests over and over every reset. Speaking of quests, there are a still some issues with parties trying to take the same quest together, or ending up in different instances of the quest. Very frustrating when grouping up is more trouble than it's worth.

I also suggest removing limitations from quests, and instead giving recommended level ranges. If you think that higher level players doing low level quests is a problem, you need to make appropriately-leveled content more rewarding than low level stuff.
Also... there's a big difference in character power based on builds, so a relatively lower level character with a good build could breeze through content that a poorly-built caster could.

Or even, characters might PURPOSELY build for other things than combat... they shouldn't lose access to content just for favoring a certain style of play.

We have been talking about having a minimum level for quests, so we dont have a 5th level on a quest designed for 10 and above. This can be an issue for new players that dont know the quest and can turn them away after dying many times. On the other end we have been thinking of having open ended level ( no cap ), this comes with risk re balancing issues of the quest but something we are working.

Noldar Bladeborne

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2020, 03:45:30 am »
Hello everyone! Good to be back home.

My suggestion was already sent to Rainman in Discord regarding a civil war; which will shape the world politically and also cause unnatural things to happen everywhere. Suggestion lycanthropy, were-creatures and abhorrent monstrosities that make outside of the cities dangerous to travel at night.

The current issues is the Elves location, based on the new maps. 

If Conth will be the main Human hub, I like Myconid Forest as a hub for the Wood Elves. Unless you have plans for Myconid, then the Eastern Forest might work. The problem is it is really far away, unless we decide to make Human and Elven factions in war then distance might be necessary. Thoughts?

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2020, 10:45:37 pm »

My suggestion was already sent to Rainman in Discord regarding a civil war; which will shape the world politically and also cause unnatural things to happen everywhere. Suggestion lycanthropy, were-creatures and abhorrent monstrosities that make outside of the cities dangerous to travel at night.

If Conth will be the main Human hub, I like Myconid Forest as a hub for the Wood Elves. Unless you have plans for Myconid, then the Eastern Forest might work. The problem is it is really far away, unless we decide to make Human and Elven factions in war then distance might be necessary. Thoughts?

This is the current information we are basing our outlook on the Myconid Forest area ...

Myconid Forest
This forest was named for the indigenous fungusmen who inhabited its depths. No animosity existed between this race and the Netherese, since the forest was not logged too severely and new trees were planted. The myconids knew the forest relied on its borders to maintain the humidity of its interior, which in turn the myconids relied on for their continued survival.
 Rengarth raiding parties roam the southern Myconid Forest, slaying all not of their lineage they encountered. They would pay particular attention to the Last Hope Road and attack all that used it.

The Eastern Forest is the current location of the elven town of Nualla'n, which is located a little more deeper into the Eastern Forest ( on the current mod map ).

This is a larger map we current use ...

Since the town of Conch is a boarder town of the Netherese, maybe there is an elven outpost to the south of Conch on the Pommel Estuary? ( refer to the front map of the post ) or a location to the south of Sullivan's ?

Noldar Bladeborne

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2020, 02:04:07 am »

This is the current information we are basing our outlook on the Myconid Forest area ...

Myconid Forest
This forest was named for the indigenous fungusmen who inhabited its depths. No animosity existed between this race and the Netherese, since the forest was not logged too severely and new trees were planted. The myconids knew the forest relied on its borders to maintain the humidity of its interior, which in turn the myconids relied on for their continued survival.
 Rengarth raiding parties roam the southern Myconid Forest, slaying all not of their lineage they encountered. They would pay particular attention to the Last Hope Road and attack all that used it.

The Eastern Forest is the current location of the elven town of Nualla'n, which is located a little more deeper into the Eastern Forest ( on the current mod map ).

This is a larger map we current use ...

Since the town of Conch is a boarder town of the Netherese, maybe there is an elven outpost to the south of Conch on the Pommel Estuary? ( refer to the front map of the post ) or a location to the south of Sullivan's ?

Very nice! I see Nualla'n now, which is a realm dear to my heart. Thanks for pointing this out.

I remember Sullivan's Post being a more darker land, with more evil aligned races stationed there. Which would probably make sense for the Elf's to have an outpost south of it, that protects the Eastern Forest from Orcan invaders. In my opinion, I think it would make so much sense to have the Tel'Quessir base stationed there, opposed to south of Conch. Thoughts? It would kind of act as a hub of travel for them as well. And a military stronghold to defend their borders.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2020, 02:57:57 am »
I remember Sullivan's Post being a more darker land, with more evil aligned races stationed there. Which would probably make sense for the Elf's to have an outpost south of it, that protects the Eastern Forest from Orcan invaders. In my opinion, I think it would make so much sense to have the Tel'Quessir base stationed there, opposed to south of Conch. Thoughts? It would kind of act as a hub of travel for them as well. And a military stronghold to defend their borders.

yeah, I dont mind either way.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2020, 03:03:27 am »

yeah, I dont mind either way.

From a building point of view, maybe Nualla'n has grown like other towns/cities in the region and we can update the existing town to be the outpost now. Maybe name Nualla'n Outpost? Never good with names LOL

Noldar Bladeborne

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2020, 10:30:26 am »
What about Nualla'n Capital? Sometimes simple is good. It will act as the main city of the Tel'Quessir.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2020, 07:17:11 am »
What do you want to see in the Elves?

I need help ... I can use the current Nualla'n map and make changes or add an outpost closer to Conch or another option. I like to look at it soon, as I have almost done Conch.

Winterhawk99

• Noble
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • Harvest Moon Consortium
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2020, 10:29:04 pm »
I think for suggestions there are a couple I would like to see.

1.pc scaling. Saw this on another server recently and it wowed me. Its a very nice touch and makes things much more immersive with everyone being different heights but in the size parameters of their races.
2. networked quest, quest inside of other quests, and quests where you find things to point you to other quests.
3. a show of Dm's thats important to me and I have not seen any as of yet but i have little time to play thus far and the server is doing a revamp so I hope to see some once the server is up an about again.
4. I'm not much on the crafting stuff I've been doing that RL for the last 30 years as a gunsmith. But its important.

That's all can think of on the spot.
Chief cook, bottlewasher and button pusher for The Harvest Moon Consortium

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2020, 07:22:55 am »
1.pc scaling. Saw this on another server recently and it wowed me. Its a very nice touch and makes things much more immersive with everyone being different heights but in the size parameters of their races.

We can do this now. Not sure if we are going to have this open to PC's or stay as an application option. Would need to check if we could add such to the Body models but it would need some max and mins.

2. networked quest, quest inside of other quests, and quests where you find things to point you to other quests.

I have done this in the past but with not a great response from the community, but we can give it another go.

3. a show of Dm's thats important to me and I have not seen any as of yet but i have little time to play thus far and the server is doing a revamp so I hope to see some once the server is up an about again.

Happy to chat anytime :)

4. I'm not much on the crafting stuff I've been doing that RL for the last 30 years as a gunsmith. But its important.

We are working on and have plans for a new crafting and treasure system.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2020, 07:25:38 am »
What do you want to see in the Elves?

I need help ... I can use the current Nualla'n map and make changes or add an outpost closer to Conch or another option. I like to look at it soon, as I have almost done Conch.

We are having a time jump, so things in the region will and might have changed. I am thinking more of an Outpost idea on the edge of the Eastern Forest. I cant see anywhere else we could place them in the map.

Thoughts?

Solomon

• Citizen
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2020, 03:40:49 pm »
      If there is a time jump, I'd imagine we'd see some updates in layout, some expansion (or destruction, reduction, etc.) depending on how successful a faction/city has been during that lapse. And it might be a fine way to introduce new ruling NPCs such as the Sullivan, mayor, etc. A new revamping of existing places will, even if on a small scale, bring that new server smell that folks like.

My following suggestion is hardly tied to the looks and themes and direction of the new server and is instead meant to encourage more administrative things. Our little server here has had a number of Grand Exodus'es in it's time. People have made stances and statements and left in droves until the server had a handful of active players, a handful of DMs, and not really much to do as the content was designed with group play in mind. The suggestion, then, is for the DMs to be more actively engaged with the player base and for the players to have a place in which they can give feedback on their experiences and have a dialogue in which those experiences can be seen, addressed, and effectively alter the server for the better. It will require more work with an active and public changelog, it will be a hassle to keep up with everyone's whining and complaining about something that someone made and is very likely proud of and will be hurt that it isn't enjoyed. It's the hard part of running a Persistent World instead of a social RP hub.

I have seen that there's an effort to bolster DM numbers and engagement. There have been drives to corral new players into the lobby and waiting room of this revamped server. It's nice and it's refreshing. Good job on that! If it goes well and launch is relatively stable, I'd even throw in to try and get some more advertising so that when fringe folks fall off, we've still got a glut of players here who can do the real hard work of entertaining each other between events and server story ongoings. Sure would be nice to hop in and see someone else running around!

Factions are always a point of contention. There has to be DM involvement to make joining a faction worth while in the long term, and it needs to be more than mechanically rewarding. Roleplayers already have a habit to form subgroups and pockets and cliques. We like to write with people who fit well with our own writing styles, we like to play with people who play at the same time, and we like to chase themes with people going after similar themes and goals. Given that this place is something of a frontier in design (and assuming it still will be), I'd suggest letting factions be some sort of overarching metaplot interaction option while encouraging player posses and smaller groups to have the ability to hunt down their own shared goals in a more minor aspect of the story. Everyone wants to have an impact. Everyone wants to leave their mark in some form or fashion, even if it is just in the memories of the other players. And by encouraging the existing nature of cliques and small groups that happen within larger groups, you can have events tailored to a specific theme with a manageable number of players and those players are already engaged and interested in the content of the event as it is made for them. Trying to force everyone to get along and to roleplay and write at different levels usually just causes schisms anyhow.

Monster Races. Whew. Talk about a tough thing. The implementation of the last version of monsters was... interesting. Had there been enough engagement and DM driven activity for the monsters to enjoy being more than vaguely stronger mechanically in some cases, I suspect they would have been played a bit more and for longer periods. I personally think that, if they are even going to be an option to choose (and you know that I would choose them), they need to have something happening. And it's going to involve even more of the DM teams time and effort for a more niche subgroup of the server. So, unless a DM group is willing to tackle being almost entirely monster focused, I think they should be swept aside as NPCs and the previously monster centric area be transitioned to an evil-centric area. This way, there's no alienation, no sort of limitation, and no need for DMs to thin themselves even further. Focus on what gets players active and involved. If monster race options aren't it, even more reason to trim the fat in favor of building better flavor elsewhere.

A server wiki would be amazing. That's the sort of thing that helps people see what options there are mechanically, it gives an overview of the server, a place to put maps and guides, and it encourages people to jump in and help on the editing. But this would have to be started by DMs and it would mean constantly having a changelog that is up to date, accurate, and is in essence a living document. For a wiki to work, we need transparency and documentation on mechanical changes as well as area overviews. It's an undertaking and is not exactly exciting or flashy, but it means people can poke the wiki, theory craft a build that matches what they want to do at whatever level they want to be, and nobody is surprised by changes that ruin their plans.

One aspect that every server has to deal with is economy. While the design of an economy by someone who isn't both a learned economist and a seasoned persistent world player is incredibly difficult to bail down, I think utilizing player feedback and suggestions should help pretty well. People like banks, it seems, but are split on things such as coin weight, expected prices, etc. For the purely player-driven, I can suggest at least one thing: legacy items. When adjusting the level of power, price, and utility of items, some will eventually be found to be too powerful or outside of the theme. In that case, it would be best to remove it from the loot tables but leave the existing items in the hands of players. They will either trade/sell them around and keep money flowing until the items are nabbed up by collectors or until they get lost with the death of a PC/leaving of a player. But this also needs to be bolstered by rotating in new items as well. They don't all have to be massively powerful, and they don't even have to be good. Cursed items that don't really do anything catch the eyes of people who like them and they'll pay good money to collect them. It can even be a story point for them. Weak items and one-off consumables and all of that can get used. Then, everyone in a while, try to assess the items least used/owned/purchased and phase them out, too. Keeps the stores clean, it focuses on what players actually enjoy, and it can even by a seasonal or cyclical thing wherein people will actively want to participate in various quests, events, etc. just to get what could become a collectible/legacy item that they can sell for big money.

Lastly, honestly, this one kind of is a tiny bit of an attack. But hopefully one that encourages togetherness against a united enemy. Don't let people get bored. Don't ignore criticism. Don't try to sweep the people who leave and their reasoning for doing so under a rug. If people are complaining and their complaints aren't addressed and taken care of, eventually they will leave. If people see that the administration does not address or fix complaints and people leave because of it, they'll leave under the assumption that their own problems will not be addressed or fixed. And then you create the ever popular Death Spiral. Trying something new, inventive, and important leads to failure. So fail up. Learn from the mistakes of the past to make today better. Learn from today's mistakes and make tomorrow better. And learn from tomorrow's mistakes and make the day after better. It goes on. You will get egg on your face, you will get called out for bad behaviour, for bad design, for accidents and typos, for player preference, for sneezing with your shirt halfway on. If you can address those complaints (even if it's just a "This [problem] is not seen as a problem by the Dev team and was implemented with a purpose." Or "There is a solution, but it may be difficult to do and we are focusing on other, more critical problems at this time. We have added it to our public to-do list as 'Eventually.'" Or "Oh, shit. Sorry. I made a mistake in editing a file. That will get fixed with the next update and thanks for catching it!"), the player base will be more happy, more trusting, and more willing to give both leeway and feedback. And more feedback that is utilized and more trust from the players means that when a problem strikes, folks don't leave all at once but stick it out in hopes and expectations that a solution will be made and implemented.

I am certain there are a great many more opinions and suggestions I can give and I will do my best to give them. But I do think tackling the systemic issues and flaws will help build a stronger foundation for the server to be built upon.

SteelsSweets

• Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2020, 04:23:24 pm »
Outfit saving so clothes horses like me don't have to carry around a billion different outfits. :)
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815