26 Apr 24, 08:32 am » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: New player character help!  (Read 8242 times)

jackfruithero

• Citizen
    • View Profile
New player character help!
« on: April 20, 2018, 08:28:12 pm »
Hey guys, I'm new to nwn:e but not to dnd. I've read the summaries on the golden age, and their relationship to gnomes but I'm still a little lacking in confidence when it comes to creating my character. Could you guys offer some advice?

What I want:
Young adult Rock Gnome
rogue or rogue/illusionist
CG in alignment (rebellious)

The idea is that because of how gnomes have been treated in Netherese history my character would have a natural distaste for the empire. However, he would be too stubborn, or proud to flee south like many gnomes did before.

Some things I could use help with:

1)A proper gnomish name for this time period/setting
2)Deity
3)Maybe a bit more understanding of gnomish culture here so I could craft a bit more of a backstory.

Also, is multi-classing allowed between base classes without DM permission?

Thanks!

Master_Sarevok

• Arcanist
    • View Profile
Re: New player character help!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 04:54:32 am »
Garl goldglitter see deities in player handbook I think on forum

Since gnomes don’t largely have a culture at this point in time there is no proper gnomish name

Gnomes has no culture and are still slaves mostly in netheril. So in a way you got two options. Adop netheril culture pieces as your own and shape them to be gnomish, or reject netheril culture entirely and build your own from the ground up and use it as a rallying force to unite gnome kind. Start a secret village and hide it with illusion.

SteelsSweets

• Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 05:23:42 pm »
There is rumor there is a gnomish village in the module.

Gnomes are "free" as of a hundred years or so but there are still several in slavery for various reasons. It is not strange for a gnome to be free.

The two noble houses Reschotti and Skettus have gnomen slaves. it is also rumored that one or the other still breeds them.

They are very much second class citizens and expect to be treated as such.

As far as names, I suck at naming my characters so can't help you there. :)
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

jackfruithero

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 04:21:04 am »
Thanks guys. Garl Glittergold it is.

I'll keep working on the names. I kinda wanted just a single name since he doesn't really have a prestigious family tree or history. Is that within the server rules? Like just naming him "Hitch" or "Glint" etc. ???

I'm okay with him being treated as a 2nd class citizen. I feel that will just make for more interesting RP, and it's why I feel rogue suits him well if not rogue/illusionist.

SteelsSweets

• Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 03:02:25 am »
My gnome has one name.

I see many characters with one name. Just try not to use character names from books or tv or movies or whatever, IMO. (not a DM)
Discord: SteelsSweets#4815

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 12:28:53 pm »
I love to see some more Gnomes IG and pushing some plots and interesting areas.

Keep up the good ideas
Build it and they will come.

eKross

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 02:51:48 pm »
You can multiclass as much as you want. Only prestige classes need DM approval, and certain combinations of classes involving monk.
But that said combining caster levels with non caster levels is generally a bad idea, but in this case rogue being one of those few classes you might want to have a level of! But don't take it early. Save some skill points to dump into the rogue skills you want later, and it should be very useful. Or start with a rogue level to gain the most skill points of all the classes, and then take a second rogue level at higher level. But generally, the more caster levels you have, the more use you get out of them. And most importantly do what you want and like!