19 Apr 24, 19:23 pm » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Scribing, a skill for people who are masters at guessing.  (Read 2430 times)

FireballWilson

• Noble
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
Scribing, a skill for people who are masters at guessing.
« on: September 25, 2019, 08:56:04 am »
Scribing as a crafting process needs a complete overhaul.
It has no explanatory text, it's a guessing game of what you actually need per operation, the time spent per operation could better be used questing and then using the xp on scrolls etc.

In truth, when I first heard of scribing, I figured it was some process by in which you could gather materials to create a scroll of a spell you did not know of. And, to this extent, is how I feel Scribing should still be.

Imagine, going to the table and wishing to learn how to cast the spell "Fireball" and seeing that in order to learn it, you need "to search for mushrooms found only in Nualla'n, fire beetle bellies found in Sullivan, and gemdust from a Ruby". That is a pretty goddamn good way to get people to learn and invest into the various skills of crafting with a tantalizing reward at the end.

Change:
Scribing doesn't need an associated skill, it is already capped by the maximum level of spell you know, no improvement over time is necessary or helpful considering it would naturally require numerous other skills in order to produce the resources needed for the final product. Remove the "ink" and "scribing" features and just plainly have the "crafting patterns" in a huge list sorted by level and then alphabetically (color code per level would make sense). Have each pattern tell you what it requires to make and have what it be either somewhat rare or somewhat spread out, with higher level spells being more and more intensive material rarity or quantity. If you wanna get fancy, have the operation take a minute or so and plop some flavor text into the chat as the spell is scribed.

Shout out to Raul, the hero we needed, not the one we deserved, for giving me a brief synopsis on how scribing works and pointing me in the right direction.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 06:43:40 am by FireballWilson »

samb123

• Arcanist
  • Fiend Magus
    • View Profile
Re: Scribing, a skill for people who are masters at guessing.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 03:48:51 pm »
I think scribing should be replacing the default NWN "Scribe Scroll" feat: https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Scribe_scroll . Unfortunately, it sounds like Scribing is currently worse than that feat.
Meleghost - Tiefling Arcanist

Discord: SamB#1648