In Character > Journals & Backgrounds

Neasa Lawley: Champion of Hibernos

(1/7) > >>

Fiverine:
Hadrian... what fresh hell is this?

The words escaped my mouth and I immediately felt a twinge of regret.  Father McIvor had sent me here, said that I'd find my destiny here.  He said that it would be selfish of both me and the village alike for me to stay in Hibernos any longer.  My mentor described a thrivin' town with a fine church of Amaunator.  Even said that a Chosen One of our faith had walked the streets here.  I did not expect this banjaxed ruin I stepped from the riverboat into.

The trip was bad enough.  The boat captain was a bit of a dosser, and found it hilarious that I expected him to know who I was.  I'm just so used to everyone knowing me.  Guess I'll have to learn a bad dose of humility quick smart.  Stepping off the boat, the sun was sickly and brown, not the glorious shining disc I know and love.  The buildings were damaged and bloodstains were on the cobbles.  Some sort of battle had taken place here recently. 

And battle came quickly t'me.  I had barely seconds to get my bearings when some creature charged across the town square at me.  Might have been a man once.  It was strong, with venom dripping from its claws... I had a fair crack at it but it knocked me down.  I figured I was dead.  But the Shining One filled me with his light, strength and fury.  I got off my coit and beat down that thing with my bare hands, then grabbed my kit and suited up for war.  I found a few more of those monsters, and dealt with them.  Saved a lass in the town square and shoved her inside to relative safety.

A fella mucked in to help me at one point.  He wore a blue surcoat, and he was a fine thing to behold I tell you.  A laird by the look of him, by the name of Nicolas Frost.  I could barely believe it when he told me that he's like me... a holy warrior of Amaunator.  An omen, surely.  The 'sunplague' creatures could not withstand our combined wrath, and the sickly aura in the sky receded.  This town has obviously suffered great darkness of late.  Time now for the first rays of dawn to kill the night. 

But I can't do it alone, or even just with Frosty.  Maybe there's something bigger here for folk like us.  Father McIvor hinted at it, but wanted me t'learn myself.  Gotta find out more... 

Fiverine:
I was needing a helmet, and a dosser at the docks had one for sale.  It was gammy looking.  Weird shape, and only these tiny holes to see through.  Looked like a death trap in battle.  But I picked it up, and it just... intrigued me.  Putting it on felt good, so I bought the damn thing. 

Then I met some nice fellas and a hin lass.  Vydaera (terrible flirt, but a real gas man), Uldur (a paladin, but different t'me) and Ruby (so tiny I thought she was a child at first).  I showed them the helmet, and they reckoned it belonged to some order called the Swords of the Lady.  They were originally a Selunite order of knights, but have splintered and other faiths share their gaff now.  Including Amaunator!  That feeling of...certainty…I felt when I picked up that gammy helmet was becoming clear.

The three of them guided me to the "Abbey of the Moon" where these orders dwell.  We had to fight some savage things along the way... I was up for it all, huge wolves and undead.  But some "Black Arrow Bandits" gave me one hell of a touch up.  A brutal kick in the head and I was down.  Uldur reckoned I was dead and he had to raise me... and I had a weird vision while I was out.  A desolate land of grey... but I was bleedin!  You don't bleed when y'dead in limbo.  Maybe Uldur was codding me, and just healed me?  Best not to think too much about it, right?

These knights here... this is the sort of thing that Father McIvor wanted for me.  "Go to Hadrian and find your peers" he said.  I thought that was just him acting the maggot when he said that.  Cheeky bastard he is.  The people of Hibernos are my peers.  But I can't deny it feels right being in this keep.  Just have to find one of these toffs who'll actually talk t'me...

Fiverine:
Righto, I'm in business.  Left a note for "Marshall Templar" or "Templar Marshall" Bresbane (I keep forgettin' which way round that goes) of the Order of the Everlasting Light, and he wrote me back.  I'm goin' back to the keep tonight to meet with one of his lads to talk about joining the order.

Gods, what if I make a right bags of it?  Getting so nervous.  Today a fella named Shi Lei helped me clear out a mine full of manky earth critters.  He was givin' me pointers about what I do.  After I refused to run from a big walking clump of crystal (thing was tough as all feck) he told me it's not dishonourable to retreat from a stronger opponent.  Even reckoned that Amaunator wouldn't want me being such a chancer and riskin' my neck like that. 

Father McIvor would lose his rag if he heard that one.  He used t'tell me I was the village champion, so I had to stand and fight whatever the odds and never abandon anyone, *ever*.    Shi was still fightin' the thing, so I couldn't leave him.  But the father told me that when all I was fightin' was goblins... nothin' like what I'm doing around Hadrian. 

But while Shi and I were talking about it all my skin started to glow.  Like my hair, but all over.  And I felt stronger and more confident than I've ever felt.  It's never happened t'me before… was this a sign I was doing the right thing?  Or that I'm making such a complete haymes of things Amaunator himself has to prop me up?  Will an order of elite knights even want a culchie like me around?  Guess I'll be finding out soon...

Maybe these Knights can help me set these things straight in m'head if nothing else.   

Fiverine:
One o' the Knights Errant set me a task to prove I was worthy to be a squire.  I was expecting it to be something like "kill 150 orcs" but it was more a test of m'wisdom, which was a pleasant surprise.  I spent the next day having a lash at finding some things for it, and got most of it.  But I was struggling with one last part.

Then I met a lovely lass named Yew in Hadrian.  She wants to join the Knights too!  And she's wise as feck.  Yew gave me some inspiration and I figured out what the last thing I needed had to be.  I'm hoping she gets taken in as a squire too, that would be grand.  She tol' me she grew up in the wilds and found it hard to settle into a city, and that people remember what she used t'be like.  First impressions, and all that.  She made a good one on me, but.

I don't feel all that comfortable in Hadrian m'self.  The Church is the only place I really feel at ease.  I saw a dosser walking around town with a bone hand and people seemed t'think it was normal.  He looked to be a cute hoor and I bet he's up to no good. 

But none o' that matters right now.  I passed the test!  I've become a squire, donned the armour and surcoat and can start learning how to be a knight.  Maybe they can help me stop throwing shapes all the time.  That nearly got me killed a few times today.  The squire armour looks good, but more importantly it feels right.  This is what Father McIvor wanted for me.  I was angry at the oul' boy when he asked me to leave Hibernos, but I can see why he done it now.  He'd be so proud, and I'm only gettin' started! 

Fiverine:
Been bustin' my hump helping local folk with their problems.  The ones that need an aspirin' knight, I mean.  Missing children, missing pumpkins (even sillier than it sounds!), restless dead. I did a few nixers with Yew, and we work really well together.  Lawdy I hope she ends up joinin'.  Will be good to have a friend right there in the keep.

Did another job with Uldur in the Wonbrie Woods.  We helped this lovely elf lass named Mirwen get some moss to make a salve for her peepers.  She'd been blinded by some feckin' elf-haters.  She reckoned they were long dead and gone, otherwise I'd be smiting them somethin' brutal.  I was happy t'help her out at least.  Though she wanted t'kiss me afterwards... not sure if she was just codding me or what. 

Supposedly I'm gettin' assigned to a knight soon?  I haven't the faintest which one o'them it will be.  I asked Squire Jason what the craic was, and he reckoned it would be either Sir Arthur or Sir Koirid Koisrid... Koi somethin'.  Jason seemed to think me pairing up with this Sir Koi boyo was a real gas for some reason.  Guess we'll see what we'll see. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version