19 Apr 24, 06:47 am » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Awesome server features!  (Read 11037 times)

caek

• Hero
  • DM
    • View Profile
Awesome server features!
« on: April 01, 2018, 04:49:39 pm »
Is there anything you would like to see added to the server to really bring the awesome?

Offering bowls in temples that give you boosts?

A way of crafting home made poisons?

A hall of fame for awesome PCs?

Make some cool suggestions!

NecroKing96

Re: Awesome server features!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 06:00:30 pm »
How about a "Speak with Dead" Wizard spell that allows the wizard to learn magic in exchange for services like quests. And if the quest isn't completed the spirits wipes the knowledge from his mind as well as an XP penalty.

NecroKing96

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 06:07:31 pm »
Or even just the ability to become a lich or vampire or any number of "creatures".

caek

• Hero
  • DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 07:39:55 pm »
I’m always up for more necromancy and hope our scripting wizards can do something awesome with the Animate Dead spell!

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 05:17:38 am »
A hall of fame for awesome PCs?

I like this
Build it and they will come.

ToxicWrench

• Demi-God
  • Twisting nuts since '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 03:51:04 pm »
I like the idea of a memorial/hall of fame type deal as well so that's something I'd gladly work on. As for Lich/Vampire/Mummification etc. I am all for it down the track  8)

NecroKing96

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 06:05:18 pm »
If I could make one more suggestion. How about class based economic abilities, like an enchanter can make better enchanted gear, bards could play music that give buffs like SWG, clerics could call for could create unique prayers based on their chosen god, etc.

Voss

• Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 06:31:15 pm »
Lairs for monstrous PCs when they're introduced  :)

golw

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 06:58:18 pm »
Impactful PCs
Forget the hall of fame, but let the players exist in the narrative even post death. Publish in game documents that reference them, include referenced to them on signs or statues. If they build a castle and then eventually their faction bites the dust, let their castle remain as a haunted dungeon, with traces of their names and deeds. So on. It shouldn't be gaudy or cheap, but those that are memorable should be kept as important to the history.

Persistent Crafting / Minions / Projects
(Assuming eventually we can animate dead players) Say you vanquish your enemy, and animate him. This triumph shouldn't end just because the server resets or you log out. Make a way to 'store' these summons. The same could apply to hirelings. Or if you're a druid and your long term project to conduct a ritual to create a treeant sidekick finally happens, this creature could simple be 'stored' and retrieved until the sad day that it died. In a similar fashion, don't cap summons at a low number. A powerful wizard with 8 monsters summoned is cool.

Hirelings
Create a pool of low power NPCs that can be paid a big fat lump sum and kept semi-permanently on the payroll by the PC until the time limit for the gold paid is up. They should fulfill really trivial purposes like torchbearing or pack hauling, bodyguarding or trap finding. Perhaps make the pool finite. Throw in twenty fleshed out hirelings all over and let the players hire them when available. Remove them from plots, add more, etc.

Custom Spells
We've all got ideas. Add new spells via haks. A lot. This to me, is the most important part of any module on NWN. The game is 15 years old, there's thousands of D&D spells, add as many as you can. For all spellcasters.

Downtime Activities
Create spawn points that the players can select by traveling to that place in game. By choosing that location/residence he is given a selection of up to 3 downtime acitivites that provide certain benefits. So, say you go to the ranger cabin, talk to the NPC to set it as your save point. He says "OK, what downtime activities will you pursue while here?" And you're given three options. 1. Hunting. 2. Studying in solitude. 3 gathering herbs. Hunting would provide you one item from a table (that table is deer antlers, rabbit fur, wolf fangs and then a chance for rarities like a griffons talons). Studying would Grant you +1 Int, +1 Wis on login until reset (basically permanent until you choose a new location or activity). 3 gathering herbs, same as hunting, you get a random herbal crafting component.. fungus, plants, berries. Certain downtime activities can be restricted to certain classes and races or even levels, to limit the accessible power. Maybe the thief hideout let's you choose "murder for hire" as a downtime activity, which requires a level in assassin. This could give you a random sum of gold like 500-1000 per reset or a rare poison. I like the idea of player characters having life beyond what happens in game.

Wondrous Item Crafting

Whether by resource collection, numerical skill development, feat selection or otherwise, players should be able to craft powerful magic items. Circlets of intelligence. Staves, Rods, Magical Armor, Druidic staves and totems. Don't limit crafting to the mundane. And ideally, combine mundane and magical crafting so that one requires the other. Balance is the hard part, figuring out how to maintain powerful loot while not overpowering crafting, as well as how to not ruin crafting by only making loot valuable.

Spell Combos / Circle Magic / Ritual Magic
In addition to new spells, a system in which two players can cast spells at the same time to create a completely new effect. They may require some kind of focus, whether an item or another player. No idea how you'd script it, but here's the idea: Wizard A casts gust of wind on taget. At the right timing window, wizard b casts lightning on the point. The two wizards are flagged as "Combined" before all of this happens, the result is a thunderstorm. Knockdown on area as well as the druid spell lightning cloud.. then again this is probably unscriptable as a combo.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 12:35:38 pm »
Lairs for monstrous PCs when they're introduced  :)

At this stage, that location would be Sullivans :)

Looking to expand with more quests, once we complete the Sub races

Thanks for the Feedback

SatelliteMind

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 08:20:16 am »
Dynamic Creature Lair System
This was in the old module, essentially it was similar to Ravenloft's creature population system where certain creatures would multiply if left unchecked and even establish lairs which could out send raiding parties. Makes the world feel more alive and unscripted; it could even be tied into a creature bounty system of sort which would change depending on what is a threat at any given time. I can see if I can find the script on NWNVault again if need be.

Randomized explorable areas
Makes adventuring even more fun and less predictable.

Merchant Stalls
Allows players to sell their wares even if they aren't online at the time.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 01:56:21 pm »
We will look at anything that will make it more interesting to tell your story.

Keep the ideas coming in and we will look at each of them.

Sazo

• Arcanist
  • "The House Will Prevail."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 06:13:08 pm »
Granted this is probably a bit ambitious but I'm going to put it here anyway. 

Personally, I've always been a huge fan of the underdark.  Even in novels.  Interactions with drow, Duergar, driders, all that non-sense.  Now, when I say I'd like to see the underdark, I don't necessarily mean a cavern system or two.  I mean an actual underdark.  It most worlds the underdark is place that sprawls into magnificent caverns that either rival, or surpass the sizes of cities on the mainland.  There are intricately carved out borders between the huge caverns and drow cities and the Dwarven kingdoms that delve into the same depths.   Having a 'homeland' that Dwarves could come from as well the potential for almost an entirely different 'landscape' coupled with the possibility of endless other scenarios is pretty enticing, at least to me.  As I said before I know this is probably really ambitious and at best it wouldn't happen for quite sometime but if I'm being honest...  I'm not going anywhere anytime soon.  This would be an amazing addition to Netheril in my opinion.