16 Apr 24, 06:00 am » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: Submission: Remember  (Read 4397 times)

Sazo

• Arcanist
  • "The House Will Prevail."
    • View Profile
Submission: Remember
« on: February 02, 2019, 06:01:43 am »
((This book will probably be cut into volumes, but you will be able to get it in the game as an actual book

"Remember"

(On the inside cover, otherwise completely blank reads a small passage)
"To my dearest friend Snacks.  Words cannot begin to convey the loss that I feel with your passing.  May the burdens you carried be forever laid at your feet and may Selunes light forever warm your face.  You will never be forgotten."

Half-Orcs.  Dumb, Ugly, Malicious, temperamental creatures that don't deserve a place amongst civilized people.  Or so the stigmatism usually goes.  My sincerest hope is that I can change even one of your minds and through that, pass on the legacy of one of the greatest heroes this realm has ever, and will ever know.  If nothing else, it is my responsibility to pay homage to the noblest, most kindred spirit, I have ever had the privilege of knowing.  It is my life's honour to have not only known him but to have called him my dearest and closest friend. 

In order to understand the monumental blow that came from his death, you must first understand how he lived.  The shoes he has left to fill are far too great for myself or anyone that I know of.  He did not just impact me this way, but almost all of those who knew him.
     His name was Kroznack, and yes, he was a half-orc.   When hearing him talk, most people assumed he was slow, or that his mental capacity was that of a 'typical' all but brainless half-orc.  He was anything but typical; and anything but brainless. His tactics in battle were often what meant the difference between life and death and usually, those tactics meant putting him in the direct path of danger while trying to minimize it for everyone else, as he was always leading from the front.  What people also didn't know, is that Kroznack spoke four different languages.  Common, was the last of which.   So when he spoke, it would sometimes appear as if his speech was broken.  Yet, he always managed to find his point and convey it beautifully.  Far better than I could ever convey to you how much of an impact he had on those who knew him.   Up until now, I told you his name was Kroznack.  Up until now, many of the people who knew him wouldn't even know who I was actually talking about. Perhaps now, after his death, that's not the case but many did not know his real name in life. His name to most people and how he introduced himself was "Snacks."  From his first steps on Hadrian soil, it was evident what type of person Snacks really was.  His name, at least the name he went by, was given to him because of his nature.  He arrived by ship, as did a lot of us here.  Though, I venture to say that most of us don't receive the kind of treatment a half-orc does when approaching new people.  At least not in a primarily human settlement.  When Snacks originally took the boat here he approached the captain, his "broken" common in tow, and saw the obvious apprehension in his eyes.  Wanting to clarify that he was no threat he spoke to him.  In an effort to say "Kroznack is good" the words didn't quite ring true.  The Captain replied...  "Well yeah, Snacks are always good".  Feeling the point had been made, or..  not wanting to spend the energy to attempt clarifying things and possibly sabotaging himself in the process, "Snacks" simply nodded and affirmed "I Snacks".   At least, that's as accurate an interaction as I can remember based on what my friend had told me.  The point remains, his intentions were pure from the very day he set forth in our city.  Ironically enough...  the first person he ever met here; aside from the captain that is, is me. 

Now, I have no claims to stake and I am not going to try and advertise myself as the only friend Snacks had but what I will tell you, is Snacks and I spent a majority of our time together.  I had more outings with Snacks then I can even begin to count and as much as he would argue this point, I was far luckier to have been graced with his friendship, then he was to have mine.  Why he put up with my nonsense half the time I'll never understand but he did.  Without complaint and often times to my surprise, he would mention the value that our friendship had to him.  He also seemed to get enjoyment out of my occasional lapse in judgement because it gave him an opportunity to be the man he is..  or was. 

Snacks could always be found at the front of the line. Standing tall against whatever evil had brought attention to itself, regardless of his chances to win.  He stood defiant against anything that had the will to bring harm to those around him and those he didn't know alike and never, not once, regretted it.  Not even with his death.  While he was gentle and forgiving, and entirely selfless, I cannot imagine the fear his adversaries must have felt knowing he would be the bulwark between them and their desired goals.  He was imposing, and fearless and most of all..  a fierce protector of the people.  I won't go into detail about his victories, instead, I aim to tell you what he was like as a person.  That is where he truly shined. He set a standard in Hadrian that will forever ring true as the precedent that is set to bear the marks of a hero.  While his accomplishments are many... it's the lives he changed just by being who he was that makes Snacks the shining pillar of hope he is, even in death.  Make no mistake..  his accomplishments and heroic deeds vastly overshadow that of most of the heroes in Hadrian... but again, that's not what gave him his greatness.  If his heroics are something you wish to learn about, seek out the halls of MoonGlow Keep and inquire there.  He was a Sword of Lady and embodied them and their virtues like no other sword I know, or will ever know. 

It was not uncommon for Snacks to give people things they themselves could not afford in an effort to equip them better for the perils they would inevitably face on a day to day basis outside of Hadrian's walls.   It was commonplace for him to insist that he take the brunt of whatever punishment or damage that was to come about from such encounters and never...   asked for anything in return.  He didn't want any songs to be sung about him, or 'books being written for him', he didn't even want recognition when helping people on their feet.  Which was something he did every chance he got?  He took the blame for offences he had no part in to shelter those he cared for, simply to take the punishment they would receive for doing whatever it was they had done.  Giving no thought or consideration to his name, reputation, or well-being.  Saying he was a good person would be like telling you the frozen wastes are cold.  It's more than an understatement, it's not even in the same category. More than that, he was an even better friend.   He took blades and spells in place of people with awful demeanours simply because he didn't like to see others hurt, regardless of who they were.  He believed no one, and I mean no one was beyond redemption and often prayed to Selune for the guidance of the souls of those he had no choice but to fight.  Snacks' spirit was.. indomitable. Unfettered, unshakeable and tempered to portray the stalwart defender he was. His presence was far larger than the nearly seven-foot Half-Orc body his spirit was anchored to.  He commanded the utmost respect without having to ask for any of it, and when the needs of others arose... his own didn't matter.

Snacks left behind more than friends.  He left behind an entire city the welcomed his steps when he would return from his deeds.  He left behind a family that would willingly give up their lives to have him return.  He left behind a realm that is only safe because of the action he took, to keep it that way.   When he died, a piece of my soul went with him, along with many other comrades I know.   Hadrian, Netheril and the people of both, are far worse off without him.

The echoes of Snacks' deeds will ring throughout Hadrian, and all of Netheril far longer than I will be here and my hope is that this passage will carry his legacy, and give it name long afterwards.  To those who knew him, there is a place his memory is marked for the passage of time, a monument in Hadrian itself dedicated to remembering him and others that have fallen to protect those that cannot protect themselves. 

It is with a broken heart, and fragmented spirit that I pen these words as my final goodbye to the best friend, comrade and family I have ever known.  Rest in Peace My friend, we love you.

I'll see you soon.
- Sazo Kalen'Thras

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sir Kroznaks was a kind soul but as with anyone he did have his demons.

It was that constant struggle that shaped who he was. He was able to see situations from more than one angle given the unique perspective offered to him through his heritage, past demons and present service to the Swords as a Selunite convert.

Late in his life, I was honoured with the opportunity to get to know him and spend much time in close interaction.
I was never disappointed in our time together. He was a true friend and was fiercely loyal to any who had gained his trust as well as a formidable foe to any who dared harm those he held dear.

We all lost much with his passing but I feel those who lost the most are the ones who came after who would not have the opportunity to know this amazing individual first hand.

~Slave Three of Noble House Skettus
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Snacks was a man who just by being around made myself and others desire to be the better versions of themselves, the versions that he saw when looking at us."

-Artificer Zilta of House Skettus

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Nobody is perfect... or so they say, but Snacks was pretty damn close."

- "Doinky"
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 08:52:43 am by Rainman »

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
Re: Submission: Remember
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 08:55:00 am »
I thank you for your Submission to the Valstiir Library.

I shall take time over a cup of tea to read this tale of adventure.

Albert Pendragon, Master Librarian
Build it and they will come.