19 Apr 24, 08:34 am » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Foil of Aubrey and Arkelos  (Read 5553 times)

granny

• Citizen
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
The Foil of Aubrey and Arkelos
« on: August 30, 2018, 10:13:43 pm »
The Foil of Aubrey and Arkelos
by Loriana Gloomfang

Once upon a time the pixie Aubrey and her trusted companion, the human known as Arkelos Maelstrom, walked the roads that surrounded the town of Hadrian. In that dark night filled by fey mischief, the two of them found a book sitting by the middle of the road. The book would tell the tale of a hero and her friend departing on a quest for the pursue of riches and magic. As it should be, the two of them thought that it was more than a book, it was the tale of their lives and nothing else!

After that, they decided to return to Hadrian and tell everyone about the news. Aubrey and Arkelos explained to those that came to hear them how they had found the book and of how it spoke of a very exciting treasure hunt. Many friends and curious fellows gathered beneath the tree in front of the Sailor's Coin tavern to hear Aubrey and Arkelos' incredible tale. And, not much differently from the drunk patrons of that fine establishment, everyone came to believe as well that it was more than a book, it was the tale of their lives, what else would it be?!

As asked by Aubrey and by the anxious people that reunited in front of the tavern, Arkelos opened the tome, flipped its pages and narrated the steps taken by the fine hero and her companion in the pursue of the fabled treasure. The first part was about how they had reunited themselves with their fellow companions in order to depart for a place where the fey would giggle and dance under the moonlight. As expected, all of them understood that it was more than a book, it was the tale of their lives indeed.

Amongst the gathered, two of them agreed out loud, "To the Wonbrie Woods we must go!", those were the moth witch and the gloomy lady. Finding it a reasonable guess, the group departed then to the maze of trees, mushrooms and mischief. As they finally reached the Wonbrie Woods, Aubrey guided them through the ancient Seelie craft: a circle of people they should make; a circle of mushrooms they should find. "Not this. Not that. Maybe the other ahead!", the heroic faerie pondered. Offerings of sweet, offerings of light and darkness, of primal forces and beauty would be given by Aubrey's companions. The more they did, the more they agreed: they were not just reading a book, they were living their own lives!

With so many gifts offered, Aubrey opened a threshold to a forest of unimaginable wonders, and through it the gathered fellows decided to walk. By the other side of the portal was the wondrous realm of the fey, and in front of it a faerie guide would be anxiously waiting. Little, big, mischievous eyes watched them as Aubrey and her companions followed the faerie guide deeper and deeper into the splendorous woods. By the end of the path, a most beautiful and sad creature cried out for the help of Aubrey and her band. It was the Queen of the Summer Court, Titania, who was being held shackled to a sword stuck in a tree stump, unable to enjoy the pleasures of the Seelie life. More than ever, there would be no doubt amongst them that all of this was much more than a tale, it was their own lives, if naught.

Titania then told Aubrey and her companions that she had been the victim of a curse weaved by a malignant wizard. Doomed and locked the Queen would remain until the day that someone of pure heart, mind and soul removed the sword from the tree stump. No more questions they made, the path to follow was clear and, as it should be, there would be nothing that would stop them from doing their duty, it was the tale of their own lives afterall.

One after the other, the valiant (and naive) men and women attempted to pull the sword away from its wooden prison. Vanity, pride and hope would push each one of Aubrey's companions to believe that they could actually fulfill the requirements imposed by the wizard with his curse. At each new attempt, a new found failure. One after the other, over and over again, Aubrey's fellows were whipped and sent down by the powers that held the sword and the Queen of the Fey in place. Well, all but one. Aubrey's good friend, the human Arkelos, refused to believe that he was was worthy of such important (and dangerous) task, thus refusing to make any attempt. Aubrey, ever so wise, understood the riddle and insisted that Arkelos was the only one among all gathered that would be humble enough to fulfill the prophecy. That was or was not was the tale of their lives?

"Titania must to be freed from her suffering! Please, Arkelos, it is YOU!", protested Aubrey. Once again, as he had done many times before, Arkelos followed Aubrey's insight and touched the sword, which would then start whipping, complaining and protesting with ferocious blasts of eldritch energy! Although powerful, the magic of the sword found itself breached by the pure intentions of Aubrey's friend, who, with her help, managed to retrieve the sword away from the stump. That was really the tale of their lives.

Maybe I could end this story here, but before I may be able to, more I must tell. All I ask you, my friend, is a bit more of patience. Please, read the little else I still must share...

Mischief waited for our heroes as Titania freed herself not only from the magical shackles that kept her locked but also from the glamour that she had cast upon herself. As if it weren't enough, once Arkelos finally held the sword firmly with his hands, Aubrey vanished in thin air, disappearing for good — or so it seemed. It was then that it became obvious for them that they had been tricked. She who said to be Titania was none else other than the most treacherous fairy of all, the Queen of Air and Darkness! As the vile Queen cackled in delight, a veil of darkness clouded the light of the moon, filling the woods that once were splendorous and magnificent with the echoes of cruel giggling and ferocious glares. There was no remaining time to wait and ponder. They needed to flee from there before the threshold closed, or else they would end up ending the tale of their lives before its time.

Madness stormed down their path as they ran back to the Wonbrie Woods. Friend fought friend. Wards of protection were broken by mischievous cackle. The woods became alive and tried to devour one and all. Even so, although many were the horrors that turned the beautiful woods into a daunting nightmare, it was clear that the faeries of the Winter Court wanted not their lives, at least not that night. Their wish had been already fulfilled with the freeing of the Queen of Air and Darkness, making the chase for Aubrey's fellow companions just one amongst many of their mean pranks. Well, that was supposed to be the tale of their lives, and not of their death, right?

I guess you might be asking me now, "Where is our good fellow Aubrey? Have not you been saying over and over again that this the tale of her life?". Well, my friend, let me tell you one last bit before we finish it, then. Aubrey did not die when the Queen of Air and Darkness was released from her prison. No, as it should be, a piece is taken, a piece is given. As sadness fell upon the now gloomy Wonbrie Woods, Arkelos got to know that Aubrey needed to fill the place left void by the treacherous queen. Aubrey, our dear hero, would then remain prisoner inside the gem encrusted sword that Arkelos had retrieved with her help from the tree stump. As sad is it might be, my friend, trust me on what I tell, for this is the tale of my life as well.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:28:46 pm by granny »

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
Re: The Foil of Aubrey and Arkelos
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 08:30:21 am »
* the Librarian sits with the book and a cup of tea *
Build it and they will come.