18 Apr 24, 07:14 am » Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Netheril : Age of Magic

Please login or register.

Author Topic: ~Contribution Submission~ A Summoner's Guide (Volume 1-3)  (Read 6440 times)

Empress of Neon

~Contribution Submission~ A Summoner's Guide (Volume 1-3)
« on: September 14, 2018, 02:09:16 am »
"Librarian, while I understand the vast majority of Valstiir has a good understanding of the Weave and its potential, I thought it would stand to the benefit of younger or learning residents of the Citadel to provide some personal insight on summoning and conjuring minions, allies or servants. Especially if they ever trek to the lands below, as such company would undoubtedly be well received. This is the first of three volumes I wish to submit. The Power of Creation, The Powers Beyond, and The Powers that Be. It is meant to both familiarize aspirants with the nature of their creations and servants, as well as common trials and perils awaiting in the art so that they can better hone and prepare themselves. It may also be something of a 'how to' guide for Non-Native citizens of the empire. I hope you'll read and consider intake of the texts for Valstiir's esteemed library."

~Slaver Meslon

Spoiler
I freely admit that mind tends to wander to what is nearest, as opposed to most needed, when it comes to summoning aid. Be they animals, elementals or otherwise. It requires less focus and allows us to maintain a more powerful grip on those binded to cause. However, a child said something to me recently that revealed a misunderstanding in what the power of conjuration is actually capable of. When I asked a common man, this same misunderstanding revealed itself.

"It allows people to summon animals" said the boy.

"It allows Arcanists to summon monsters" said the man.

It is true, the power to create allows us to make rift and portal for these creatures on a whim; the very same magic tethering presence, keeping them loyal and directed to our peril. In one simple spell, an in-between is created; an anchor gives it longevity; a binding gives it safety. The last of which is of particular importance and separates the weak from the strong; one can not bind something they are too weak to make such to. Or too many, for that matter. Those that do risk bringing foes, not allies, to whatever peril plagues them.

There is, however, another means to make ally; beyond drawing from what already is, one can create or conjure, you see, rather than relying on what the realms offer for company. Many Netherese do this regularly, animating objects such as lanterns or farming tools to do their work in their stead. The process is not particularly difficult to understand; an object is infused with energy channeled by its creator to whatever purpose it was deigned for. Although it takes ample energy and catalyst to see an object (like a golem) permanently animated, it is both feasible and easy to see a more fleeting animation of an object so long as the caster can channel enough energy to animate it to begin with.

Less known perhaps is the potential to animate more than just objects, however. Plants, for instance, can grow and even move more than they ever could on their own. Their growth can accelerate beyond belief, just as their movements and actions, to, be binded to their creator's will. I myself believe no garden is truly complete without a few roots feeling for the trodding feet of intruders as mistress rests. Yet there is even more you can breath life into, including other powers or elements beyond the life you give. A marriage, for instance, between this power and fire could very well give a simple campfire the power to move on its own as a whole. The same could be said of a rock; a puddle of water; even something as simple as a gust in the wind. All can be given life and purpose; however fleeting.

If you are wondering if this power can interact with only the world itself, then you are not looking within; or between the lines. The Weave, itself, can be given new shape and form just as well when the power to create meets other expressions of the Lady's Gift. Illusions given personality. The spirits of the dead, unlife. Even raw, destructive power itself can take a life of its own if you can imagine such spectacle. This is to say nothing else of possibilities that escape imagination.

The power to create is the power to give life to the world around you; even beyond what is simply physical. It is a beautiful, even intimate bond between creator and creation that can and should be explored to its fullest boundaries. There are, however, those who would rather see mettle proven at their aid than risk uncertainty in their own creations. This is a topic that will be met in the next text, as it is very much closer to the traditional idea of 'summoning' creatures to one's cause, as opposed to creating one's own. For now, it is better served for me to warn you the perils of creation.

First and foremost, never overspend yourself when you are channeling power to a creation. Even though you may not need to make anchor for any rift or tear, you will still need power to make binding. Your creation is alive; it must understand who you are and what its purpose is; why it must fulfill that function. This all must be bound in an instant during creation and can take a powerful toll that only heightens, not lessens, as you infuse more power. If you fail in this, then the creation you give life can very much end up turning on you out of confusion or, worse, resentment. Second, remember always that this is fleeting life. There are ways to see them made more permanent, but they shall not be discussed in this text. Maintaining and keeping that life from ebbing free of your creations will require practice and focus (not so differently than it would the rifts and bindings from creatures summoned to your side). Otherwise, always go into a fight or trial remembering that you are on time bought in measure of your own power.

Now that you more fully understand one expression of conjuration; the power to create life where once there was none; take moment to ponder on the simple joys and merits. If you can not see them, then stand invited to gander upon my next text where we shall speak of the Powers Beyond.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 05:30:53 am by Empress of Neon »

Empress of Neon

~Another volume eventually arrives for review.~

Spoiler
In the last volume, we discussed the power of creation. While it should not be underestimated, nor should the ability to draw upon the Powers Beyond. There are many realms beyond our own that express an over-exegerrated part of our own realm. The elemental plane of earth, for instance (A place I had a most unpleasant visit towards) is made entirely of earth, dirt, minerals and whatever is squirming between. Others, such as the hells or the abyss, are home to some of the most powerful and nefarious entities that eclipse even the cruelties of men. While it is difficult to summon and bind these creatures, their power can not be denied. Nor the perils of those who reach beyond our sphere for unconventional allies.

As mentioned in my last text, when one is conjuring an ally, a binding must be made. An expression of thought and will made to ensure the creature serves you. Unlike the power of creation, however, that energy is now being spent 'finding' and 'rifting' the entity in question to your presence as opposed to 'creating' them with the infusion of the same energy. One might even stand to call it an anchor; though the magic that keeps them present is almost always fleeting save for the most powerful of bindings. Many of the same perils aforementioned apply here. Overexpend yourself and you will find friend turned foe, for example. What we will instead discuss are some of the known spheres of creation from which to draw upon.

There are four elemental planes that we are all familiar with. Air, earth, fire and water. No doubt some of you have come across the elementals that often dwell within them. But did you know there are other creatures as well? In the elemental plane of air, for instance, there are creatures of the winds; giant avians, for instance; as well as magical beasts who may appear as little more than gusts in the air. Or the great oceanic horrors lurking beneath the Great Sea. They are there and much easier to call upon than, say, elementals. The challenge is knowing what they are and how much power is necessary to summon and bind one. It is also entirely possible to draw upon the very raw stuff of these planes and infuse it into a creation of your own, such as a lump of metal. Although this may harken back to the power of creation, it stands something of a marriage between the topics as you are borrowing power from elsewhere as opposed to the Weave itself. Whether you seek the strength of the earth, the raw fury of fire, the awesome powers fleeting in the clouds, or looking to see a ship of raiders devoured whole in a river, remember always that many of these creatures can be difficult to direct or control. Your concern that your allies might get scorched from a stray stream of fire just won't make sense to a creature that bathes in the stuff.

There are other planes, of course. Each reflective of another element that is perhaps a bit less obvious at a glance. If you believe 'chaos' as a driving force in our world; unpredictable, uncontrollable, chance by its nature; then know there is such a realm known as 'Limbo'. Likewise, if you are looking for realm that stand in mirror of the ideas of 'good' or 'evil', then perhaps you would seek to draw from the seven heavens or the nightmarish abyss. So many are these realms, in fact, that it would be better served to refer you to a brilliant and fascinating individual, Valistrae, and her work on the Outer Ring. Know only that these spheres are filled with powerful, often intelligent yet also dangerous entities that may not even pay you heed if you do not mirror the nature of their worlds. Indeed, they may even perceive you as an enemy and attack you, regardless of binding. Do you really expect an angel to serve a murderer? Know also that unlike the more simplistic creatures in the elemental planes that many of these entities are actually seeking to reshape the world more to their image. Do not always trust those that seem to be under your control. That in itself is an illusion; even if the very nature of servitude is that of a pact. You would be better served, in fact, to see yourself as a door. Your willingness to bring them to our world, their key. As such, the term 'unleash' is perhaps more apt to describe what you are doing when bringing such denizens to Toril. Do not be surprised if they decide to bring friends.

The Powers Beyond are impressive. Many are capable of wielding magic, as you or I. Some have developed such a reputation by their very displays of power that we know of them even here, now, in our own realm; worlds apart. There is no denying that they can prove themselves to be some of the most powerful allies, or enemies, when given presence. But because of this they are also the most difficult to control. This is the most significant drawback of reaching so far beyond Toril and one I implore you to remember the next time you think about binding a demonic lord to your service. It can be done, but know your limits and become familiar with any hierarchies of such realms. Never forget these three simple steps:

Find.
Bind.
Summon.
Do not perform it in any other order.

Now that you know a bit more about the Powers Beyond (those we most often associate with conjuring), heart implores you to sit a moment. What do you want in the world? What do you believe in? How do you see yourself? What do you value? What you bring to this world is as much a reflection of who you are and what you cherish or strive for no less than what you might have otherwise used your power to create. Even the elemental planes can embody this (I did not draw a line between earth and strength for wordplay). How you want people to see you is perhaps less important how you wish to see the world. When you know the answer to this, you will know who to call upon at your side in the journey of life.

If you've come this far, I invite you to gander upon my final text that concerns the Powers That Be. It will be shorter than the others, but no less important.

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
Re: ~Contribution Submission~ A Summoner's Guide (Volume 1-2)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 12:59:09 am »
I have looked over your submissions with a fine cup of Earl Grey and will put these two Volumes on display as Book of the Month.

Well done, we will need to discuss your prize.

Albert Pendragon, Master Librarian
Build it and they will come.

Empress of Neon

Re: ~Contribution Submission~ A Summoner's Guide (Volume 1-2)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 05:30:45 am »
~One final volume arrives, along with a note.~

"Gratitude and honor, Master Librarian. But contributing to Valstiir's impressive collection of knowledge is, in itself, a reward. Adding to something greater beyond the self gives this life a sense of fulfillment I'm sure you can understand. I hope you will enjoy my final volume, as well as future readers."

Spoiler
If you have read my prior work, then you should be familiar with the challenges, means and methods from which to conjure aid to your labors; especially in times of peril. The world is a dangerous and unforgiving place; beyond the frontiers of the empire are lands bereft of Netheril's majesty. They are lawless, cruel and injust; full of beasts, men and monsters who will not hesitate to strike you down or use you as sacrifice. The list of fates are long and dark, but so to are threats themselves. Yet, it is within your power; indeed, the very promise of Netheril; that even these ruthless perils can not only be staved in good company, but bend knee as well.

This final volume discusses the Powers That Be. That is to say, the denizens of our very world. What we can create is magnificent. What we can draw to our world has its own otherwordly awe as well. But there is no denying that some of the most dangerous enemies you could ever face do not lurk beyond the veil; they walk the very same soil as you. The predatory beasts of the wilds are but a few to name. Lions, tigers and bears. Even more passive creatures, such as the mighty elephants, can be bent to will. But there are many others. Spiders, insects, even the living dead who yet linger in our realm can be summoned to presence; so long as proper binding is made. Creatures soaring in the winds, or lurking in murky depths, to, can be brought to service as any other. This is to say nothing of the entities lurking in the bizzare, dark realm beneath the very earth.

All of it is possible, so long as you have an understanding of the creatures. When you can direct them to action even the most unruly beast can be made to serve. An animal wants food. An insect desires a nesting ground. A beholder (As I've learned from bonding with my own familiar) feels safer when it has control over everything around it. But wait, you might asking, if something as intelligent as this creature could be made to serve, then is it possible people could be made to service? Is it possible a binding can be made against something as strong-willed as your fellow men?

If you have paid heed to the recurring topic of 'affinity', then it does stand possible that such a feat may be within reach. It would demand impressive power; the kind I have only ever seen from an enchantress or mentalist. But if one has the power to dominate such a mind, reach and pull to presence, then it is indeed possible. As are countless marriages between the different threads of the Weave. That in itself may be the greatest takeaway from this volume.

Some of the most dangerous creatures in creation are those that walk, have walked, or will walk this world. As I said earlier, it is dangerous and cruel; but this only serves to ensure the strongest survive (Take pride you prosper in such a sphere, for it is a realm of ceaseless conflict). Like all others mentioned in the prior volumes, they to may be made to supplicant you as opposed to standing obstacles in life's journey. Familiarize yourself; know the horrors and wonders not-so distant from our walls. Pulling from the Powers That Be may be the easiest form of conjuration, as our world's denizens are both nearer and easier to understand, but it is by no means the most inferior. Indeed, your rival may be surprised when they find their demonic servants being impaled by tusk or claw.

While the same perils we've discussed time and again are no less prevalent, I would instead spend this time instead to implore you. Explore, enrich the empire with your discoveries. There are realms between realms and realms within realms; many of which we have never seen. Let no boundary go unbreached; see what you can accomplish with the Gift. What you can create, draw or even present and inspire your peers with may someday shape Netheril and the world itself in ways we can not even possibly imagine in this age. The only question you need to ask yourself now?

Who will you keep as company until Journey's End?

Rainman

• Dungeon Master
  • Demi-God
    • View Profile
Re: ~Contribution Submission~ A Summoner's Guide (Volume 1-3)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 11:43:48 am »
More to read over tea

Albert Pendragon, Master Librarian

Build it and they will come.