Player Forums > General Discussion

Should Quest Areas Be Opened

<< < (2/6) > >>

samb123:
I will point out that, if there are separate, non-instanced versions of the quest areas with NO locks or limits, then people will farm these areas and that will completely defeat the purpose of the server's current design.

I like the server's current design. I like that I can only help certain NPCs so many times (before I out-level the quests). I like that I actually need to find other characters in-game to do things sometimes.

--- Quote from: Briar_Rose on October 27, 2019, 10:05:37 pm ---Other, Please Explain: If one is concerned about taking lower PCs to an area, then lock areas behind a minimum level, only. Meaning once you reach said level, you can enter freely - with ones that make sense. Like say the graveyards. You need to be level 5 (just giving an example) otherwise it says, "you're in need of more training before safely entering here" and then you can RP off of that.

--- End quote ---
I like this.

The XP system already lowers XP for characters whose level is higher than the CR of the monsters in an area. So, it's not like leveling is a huge concern if a level 14 takes a level 5 to the Graveyards.  :)

Edit: However, the problem I see with this also that folks will drag their friends along and folks won't actually be earning that quest XP; they'll just be along for the ride while the higher level kills all the spawns.

Midnight Oil:
I voted no just to stop people farming thousands of gold and unbalancing the server on quests they dont struggle on because of them being higher then the quest lvl. Sorry if this is too harsh but its true

Vydaera:
LET.
PEOPLE.
PLAY.
TOGETHER.

Is the TL;DR of my point. I would like to see maximum levels removed from all quests. It would allow people to help new players without creating a separate character. It would allow people who want to be there for RP reasons, actually join and participate. Quests give you lower and lower XP amounts as you rise in comparative level, anyway, so it's not like people are going to be farming purely for the paltry XP reward.

People come to this server to play with other PEOPLE. Honestly, the quest design is good for most dungeons, but it is not what brings people to the server. People are here to roleplay, and anything that stops people from doing things together is bad for the server. If XP farming is what you're worried about, have people above the level cap gain no XP from completion. So, they can help a new person out, or train a young warrior in the ways of the blade, or characters that aren't min/maxed can contribute to groups without feeling overpowered.

The restrictions might be necessary if this was a very populous game like WoW or FFXIV, but it isn't. We get the kind of people who want to share an experience with others... the power players don't stick around; there are plenty of servers that cater to that kind of play.

--- Quote from: Midnight Oil on October 28, 2019, 07:49:42 am ---I voted no just to stop people farming thousands of gold and unbalancing the server on quests they dont struggle on because of them being higher then the quest lvl. Sorry if this is too harsh but its true

--- End quote ---

There are FAR easier ways to make gold than killing wasps for 300gp each run. Also, what does having a lot of gold really DO for you on this server? Most gear isn't bought... it's dropped from quests or given as reward for participating in server events.

I think you will find that the kind of person that will go to great lengths for levels or wealth can do it easier on other servers, and will not play here for long.

Midnight Oil:
By the way we have exploration areas for a reason im sure the Dm's are working on more as we discuss this. I would rather more exploration areas then every quest open that is just silly.

Rainman:

--- Quote ---There should be separate, non-instanced versions of the quest area
--- End quote ---

Are these not what we call 'Exploration areas' ? i.e Ant Hill, Lava Cave, Orc Hill and Mines, Crash Site, Old Fort ( some examples of Exploration areas )

The problem with opening quest areas up is the level of the spawns and treasure to some extent. An example is Fruit bats, low level quest and would be pointless for a high level to do it. Another might be Pumpkin Goblins too hard for a low level but just right for a mid range character and of course we have those Higher level quest that in general you have to travel to, that are designed to test and have high level spawns in them ... where a low level or mid level character would be unable to complete the quest by themselves.

These quests are also dependant on the group and mixture of character types. Of course a low level could go on these quests if they where able to do so and soak up the XP making their stories and journey lessened because of it.

I understand the point of RP but believe we have many other options outside of quests to continue your stories and RP.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version