Player Forums > Feedback and Bugs

The death penalty destroys fun.

<< < (3/3)

Aetrion:
None of that constitutes a good argument for why the death penalty should be XP. Ok, you want people to be careful, I agree, but there are tons of things that make people be careful that don't completely ruin the fun of the game. Also the vast majority of death's I've suffered weren't because I was being reckless, but happened over trivial mistakes or not knowing every enemy in the game and all their abilities because I haven't played it for years.

The whole powergaming aspect is by far the lamest thing about this server from my perspective. There is a huge difference between wanting to make bad characters and breeze through the game regardless and wanting some reasonable semblance of a Pen and Paper session of D&D instead of this purely mechanics driven formulaic bore of simply having to know all the monsters and all the fights so you can just be immune to whatever they dish out. Sure, you can know this game so well that nothing actually poses a danger to you, but how is that still an exciting adventure? Expecting the server to be only for people who like playing that way is drastically limiting the audience for no good reason.

GoblinLoveChild:

--- Quote from: Aetrion on January 09, 2019, 03:49:39 pm ---.... but happened over trivial mistakes or not knowing every enemy in the game and all their abilities ...

--- End quote ---

Honestly this is a meta-gaming problem. The reality is your character should not know what that creature is and should be taking extreme care when they encounter a new monster. you should not be aware of what its abilities are and should be roleplaying this accordingly.

We do however understand that you, as a player, cannot turn of mechanical knowledge of the system hence why there is no action/penalty for metagaming the "new encounter" per se.

Surfing_Turnip:
That's untrue. In setting, there are entire disciplines of dungeoneering, necrology, and studies of animals and strategy that mean a character can infer how threatening a creature might be well in advance of running into them face to face. Experienced adventurers, or even certain classes, should know what to face in certain locations. You can't just imply that characters should be clueless, because there isn't sufficient area development, lore presence, or sign posting of encounters for new players.

Gmork:
The team will be discussing the issue in our forums to see if we can come up with something the is still significant, but not fun breaking.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version